The CardBoard
Stanford Baseball - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Stanford Baseball (/showthread.php?tid=18966)

Pages: 1 2

Stanford Baseball - Mr. Baseball - 02-13-2020

No chatter on here, the Stanford team site hasn't posted content in 10 days and did NOTHING like it did last year with short pieces about the players and such.

Frankly, it's sad

RE: Baseball starts tomorrow and nobody cares - Papa John - 02-13-2020

I follow Stanford Baseball on Twitter. I agree there's not a lot of excitement about this season, maybe due to the unknowns regarding the team's ability to score runs. 

Here's the regular season schedule through early April with preseason Baseball America rankings for each opponent:
vs. Cal State Fullerton x 3 (NR)
@ Santa Clara (NR)
Round Rock, TX classic vs. Houston (NR)
Round Rock, TX classic vs. Texas Tech (6)
Round Rock, TX classic vs. Tennessee (NR)
@ Cal (NR)
vs Grand Canyon x 3 (NR)
vs Michigan (8)
vs Kansas State x 4 (NR)
vs Cal x 3 (NR)
@ Cal Poly SLO (NR)
vs ASU x 3 (3)
vs Sac State (NR)
@ Arizona x 3 (22)

So no true road game versus a top-25 opponent until early April, although playing Texas Tech in the state of Texas will feel like a road game. And some of these opponents, like Cal State Fullerton, are probably just outside the top 25.

If Stanford can generate some positive buzz in the first month of the season, I expect the discussion and comments will follow. We were picked to finish #3 in the Pac-11 (Colorado doesn't have a team), so there's potential, it just needs to be realized.

RE: Baseball starts tomorrow and nobody cares - Mr. Baseball - 02-13-2020

Last year's social media guy was excellent. I do not think the same person is doing it this year. Perhaps he/she is new, but the coverage is awful. Heck Bay Area Media Day was held AT Stanford this year and there hasn't been a peep about it, not even the video posted on the Facebook page!

RE: Baseball starts tomorrow and nobody cares - BobK - 02-13-2020

I guess my posts this week were in vain.

Great interviews on Rivals

I’m a season ticket holder for baseball and softball and I’ll be at both all weekend

(02-13-2020, 11:53 AM)BobK Wrote:  I guess my posts this week were in vain. 

Great interviews on Rivals

I’m a season ticket holder for baseball and softball and I’ll be at both all weekend

Interviews on Rivals? Where? The last article is dated from June

Feb 6

(02-13-2020, 12:04 PM)BobK Wrote:  Feb 6

Link?

I just sent you a PM about Rivals. Check your in box.
Bob

RE: Baseball starts tomorrow and nobody cares - JJJ - 02-13-2020

Totally looking forward to the start of the season tomorrow although I no longer have any personal connections on the team. Hoping Dieter has a good year just because he’s half Japanese like me :) 
Mr Baseball, can you at least share what position your son plays? P/C/INF/OF? It might help keep us peanut gallery types in line. ;)

JFYI they’ve been posting every day on Facebook. 

https://www.facebook.com/stanfordbaseball/

https://www.facebook.com/289908679765/posts/10158214268269766/?vh=e

(02-13-2020, 03:43 PM)JJJ Wrote:  JFYI they’ve been posting every day on Facebook. 

https://www.facebook.com/stanfordbaseball/

https://www.facebook.com/289908679765/posts/10158214268269766/?vh=e

Not anything of substance and no I won't share more about my kid. You needn't worry I'll be offended. My skin is thick.

RE: Baseball starts tomorrow and nobody cares - Mick - 02-13-2020

It was nice watching the Youth Day.  Reminded me of the Stanford, Santa Clara and San Jose State baseball camps to which I sent my boys.

In those days, San Jose State's was the best and least expensive.  Head Coach Piraro practiced and played with the kids from beginning to end of the camp and his fellow coaches were very much into it.  SCU's head coach Mike Cummins showed up at the beginning and end, then left the rest of the camps up to local high school baseball coaches from Valley Christian and the like.  More expensive than SJSU, less expensive than Stanford.  At the Stanford camps, we never saw Marquess or his assistants.  In fact, they didn't actually use baseballs.  They used limited flight, foam-and-cork balls, for 10 year olds.  Very disappointing.

Of course, that was 18 years ago.

Just checked the weekly costs of the camps.  Stanford, $495, with the "experienced" kids going for $580/week.  SCU is $400.  SJSU is $350.

Sounds about right.

New story on Rivals. No surprises and behind a paywall

RE: Baseball starts tomorrow and nobody cares - SamuelMcF - 02-13-2020

(02-13-2020, 04:02 PM)Mr. Baseball Wrote:  Not anything of substance and no I won't share more about my kid. You needn't worry I'll be offended. My skin is thick.

Sure beats the parent of a football player on the paid forum cursing us out for being "pathetic." Great use of $9.99 a month.

I'm personally not a massive baseball fan, but did attend a few games last year and had a good time. Fun way to spend a sunny afternoon outdoors. Definitely intrigued by the new beer and wine sales this coming season.

(02-13-2020, 04:18 PM)Mick Wrote:  It was nice watching the Youth Day.  Reminded me of the Stanford, Santa Clara and San Jose State baseball camps to which I sent my boys.

In those days, San Jose State's was the best and least expensive.  Head Coach Piraro practiced and played with the kids from beginning to end of the camp and his fellow coaches were very much into it.  SCU's head coach Mike Cummins showed up at the beginning and end, then left the rest of the camps up to local high school baseball coaches from Valley Christian and the like.  More expensive than SJSU, less expensive than Stanford.  At the Stanford camps, we never saw Marquess or his assistants.  In fact, they didn't actually use baseballs.  They used limited flight, foam-and-cork balls, for 10 year olds.  Very disappointing.

Of course, that was 18 years ago.

Just checked the weekly costs of the camps.  Stanford, $495, with the "experienced" kids going for $580/week.  SCU is $400.  SJSU is $350.

Sounds about right.

I brought my kid to a Stanford camp when he was an eighth grader hoping he'd get noticed. Not one Stanford coach there! He did fall in love with the place and committed two years later so it all worked out.

Did two Stanford Softball camps with my daughter. All the coaches and many players there.

RE: Baseball starts tomorrow and nobody cares - BostonCard - 02-13-2020

My son has done the golf camp and coaches (for both teams) were there, though I got the sense that most of the work was done by the players.  His first year the women's team had just won the national title (2015) and sure enough I saw Anne Walker there and was able to congratulate her.

BC

My frosh roommate’s kid went to some Stanford baseball camp and has a pic with Esky to prove it.

RE: Baseball starts tomorrow and nobody cares - Mick - 02-13-2020

(02-13-2020, 06:09 PM)BobK Wrote:  Did two Stanford Softball camps with my daughter.  All the coaches and many players there.
Who was the coach at the time, Bob?

(02-13-2020, 06:16 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  My son has done the golf camp and coaches (for both teams) were there, though I got the sense that most of the work was done by the players.  His first year the women's team had just won the national title (2015) and sure enough I saw Anne Walker there and was able to congratulate her.

BC

My son did the volleyball camp twice.  It was well worth it.  Great competition, great coaching, materially raised his game, and he got noticed by the Stanford coaches and a few others.  Superb, first-class experience.

Wow Mathews is the Saturday starter. Interesting. Or an injury ?