The CardBoard
MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 (/showthread.php?tid=18969)

Pages: 1 2

MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - burger - 02-13-2020

ASU comes in as one of the hottest teams in the conference, and they play good defense which is our kryptonite.  No word yet on starters, but Da Silva was supposedly still not practicing as of today, and Bryce was "limited" in practice.

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - JJJ - 02-13-2020

ESPN2>>>Pac-12 Networks.  Hope we look good. 
Obviously, Da Silva won’t play.  Next man up!

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - burger - 02-13-2020

Wills is starting.  Kisunas takes Da Silva's place (he is not dressed).

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - BostonCard - 02-13-2020

I see Davis and Terry have not exactly picked up the slack.  At least Terry ended the half on an up note, but they have 7 points combined.

BC

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - needle - 02-13-2020

(02-13-2020, 08:48 PM)burger Wrote:  Wills is starting.  Kisunas takes Da Silva's place (he is not dressed).

Stanford down 7 at the half. Complete waste of the first few minutes offensively as they tried to feed Kisunas and just generally couldn't dribble/pass worth a damn. Too many turnovers.

Since then it's been a game of spurts. We'll see if Stanford can hang close and then pull something off at the end.

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - SamuelMcF - 02-13-2020

Reffing, per usual, has been horrible. Multiple BS and/or no calls for both teams.

Kisunas just doesn't have it yet. Delaire seems to be rising to the occasion, though; 19 against Colorado and 9 in the 1H. That's a bright spot.

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - winflop - 02-13-2020

Down 10 with just over 6 to play in a very winnable game, even without da Silva. Just way too many mental mistakes.

Something is still missing in this program. Haase will get next year to pull it together but he has not earned any kind of extension. NCAAs or bust next year, this team is NIT-bound.

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - Crafter Artisan - 02-13-2020

da Silva means more to this team than his stats, he's the closest thing to a go-to guy that we've got; and ASU coming off a thrilling home win over a USC team that's been viciously hard to beat in close games this year.

All of that going on and we mounted a late charge to get into the thick of this game but that'll be the extent of it.  At least Bryce Wills was able to get onto the court and do useful stuff.

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - burger - 02-13-2020

More inbounding problems.  Shouldn't Haase have fixed this by now?

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - needle - 02-13-2020

The team played hard and didn't give up.

I think they'll fight against Arizona, too.

As a fan, I definitely still think this team is worthy of an NCAA bid.

But they're going to have to prove it.

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - 76lsjumb - 02-13-2020

(02-13-2020, 10:42 PM)winflop Wrote:  Down 10 with just over 6 to play in a very winnable game, even without da Silva. Just way too many mental mistakes.

Something is still missing in this program. Haase will get next year to pull it together but he has not earned any kind of extension. NCAAs or bust next year, this team is NIT-bound.

You're joking, right?  If this we're a Dawkins-coached team, you'd be screaming for his firing.  Remember, after his fourth season at Stanford -- which was also just his fourth season as a Head Coach anywhere -- Dawkins WON the NIT.  This is Haase's EIGHTH season as a Head Coach [and fourth at Stanford] and it would take a miracle for this team to win the NIT [and, indeed, it may be a stretch to even make the NIT the way things are going at the moment].

Why is firing the coach all of a sudden NOT your preferred sole solution?

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - magnus - 02-13-2020

Even though we lost, there were bright spots in this game that still has me optimistic for the team.

But the one thing that keeps getting me...does anyone else cringe when Wills, Keefe and Delaire (though I think he did well today) go the free throw line?

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - winflop - 02-14-2020

(02-13-2020, 11:39 PM)76lsjumb Wrote:  
(02-13-2020, 10:42 PM)winflop Wrote:  Down 10 with just over 6 to play in a very winnable game, even without da Silva. Just way too many mental mistakes.

You're joking, right?  If this we're a Dawkins-coached team, you'd be screaming for his firing.  Remember, after his fourth season at Stanford -- which was also just his fourth season as a Head Coach anywhere -- Dawkins WON the NIT.  This is Haase's EIGHTH season as a Head Coach [and fourth at Stanford] and it would take a miracle for this team to win the NIT [and, indeed, it may be a stretch to even make the NIT the way things are going at the moment].

Why is firing the coach all of a sudden NOT your preferred sole solution?

I called for Muir to fire Dawkins after winning the NIT because I think the bar needs to be getting into the NCAA. And I called for Dawkins to be fired every season afterward.

The reality is Muir isn't going to fire Haase after this season no matter what. I don't think Haase is the answer, but regardless of what any of us thinks he's going to be here next year unless he decides to leave. I just want to make sure that if he doesn't get to the Big Dance next season that he's gone without any impact to the AD budget.

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - oldalum - 02-14-2020

we couldn't stay with ASU's two guards one on one. Remy Martin was as good as advertised, but who names their kid after a cognac?

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - Farm93 - 02-14-2020

The optimism here is sweet. 

The things that are missing are adjustments.   There is no doubt the team was playing above their expected win rate early in the season, and Coach Haase deserves credit for helping them thrive in December.

Now though, it is the same story.    Losses pile up and for some reason the dreamers swings to NEXT season with Haase.  A dream that only includes taking the team to a level of success that any Power 5 coach should get in their first 2 or 3 seasons just to keep from losing their job.

I understand Stanford can't load up on JuCos or One and Done types, so it might take 3 or 4 seasons to reveal a coach's potential.   However, at this point it is clear.   Haase at least at Stanford is a ~.500 coach.   A bit above .500 for November-January and a bit below .500 for February-March. 

Haase is losing less each season, but a 19-13 or 20-14 type season will feel like such a disappointment after a promising start.  

Despite my lack of Haase excitement, the players that are on the court are working so hard and the starters are absorbing monster minutes to try to stay in games.    It must be hard to go out there now with tired legs knowing that the opponents will likely win thanks to better depth and/or coaching.

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - Phogge - 02-14-2020

Well at least they didn’t name him after the eight or nine time Yankees manager.

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - BostonCard - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 09:08 AM)Phogge Wrote:  Well at least they didn’t name him after the eight or nine time Yankees manager.

Or Ricky.

BC

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - murky - 02-14-2020

(02-13-2020, 11:06 PM)burger Wrote:  More inbounding problems.  Shouldn't Haase have fixed this by now?

This team has me occasionally catching Stanford basketball again.  That's good.

Our inbounding - not good :(

In fact, I can't ever remember following a team that was so poor at inbounding the ball.  It seems that half of practice time should be devoted to inbounding and free throw shooting.

It's boggles the mind than non-ogre players aren't able to average 70% free throw shooting.

(02-14-2020, 07:49 AM)oldalum Wrote:  we couldn't stay with ASU's two guards one on one. Remy Martin was as good as advertised, but who names their kid after a cognac?

To my eye, Remy was reasonably well defended.  He took, and made, a number of what looked like poor shot choices but for the fact that they went in.  If he does that routinely, he's a bad man!

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - magnus - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 12:49 PM)murky Wrote:  To my eye, Remy was reasonably well defended.  He took, and made, a number of what looked like poor shot choices but for the fact that they went in.  If he does that routinely, he's a bad man!

It looked like we started out with Terry on Martin. But after Martin scored a bunch, we switched Davis onto him.  Davis seemed to do a better job, but like murky said, Martin made a bunch of low percentage baskets.

RE: MBB: Arizona State at Stanford, 8pm PT ESPN2 - ADPinWDC - 02-14-2020

SHOT SELECTION down the stretch in last 5 minutes is the key problem.
Some of the losses could have gone our way 
Young team -- no starting seniors -- makes mistakes.
Winning  on the road is tough for younger guys. 

I give Haase credit for a much improved defensive scheme that has us in about every game, except Kansas -- a #1 seed. And we beat Oregon with that Defense, holding them to lowest score of season.
If we get da Silva back for Pac12 Tourney, maybe we get to Semifinal there or better.