The CardBoard
WBB: Stanford 97 Utah 64 - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: WBB: Stanford 97 Utah 64 (/showthread.php?tid=18971)

Pages: 1 2

WBB: Stanford 97 Utah 64 - 81alum - 02-13-2020

Preview:

Utah is 12-11 and 92 in RPI.  The write-up and preview of the game we played at home against Utah a month ago is here:
https://thecardboard.org/board/showthread.php?tid=18901&highlight=wbb

In the last game, we had only 5 turnovers, Belibi had a breakout offensive performance, and Jump hit 3 treys in a row after missing 3 treys in a row.  After losing to us, Utah was crushed at home by Oregon and Oregon State, but then went to Washington and swept the two Washington schools in their home arenas. 

Utah is led by two freshmen who continue to improve with every game and who will be a thorn in our side for years to come.  Keep in mind that Utah beat us at their place just last year.

I am particularly interested to see if we see a game appearance by Dodson on this road trip.

Overview:

Our offense clicked, we hit 15/30 treys, and our scouting report defense blanked the Utah freshman star to 0 points.  One of our most convincing wins of the year.  Lexie with 24, Williams with 19, and Prechtel with 16.

Flow of the Game:

We received the welcome news in advance that Dodson would play some limited minutes in her first game of the season.  Jerome also started this game--Tara decided to go with experience and knowledge in her starting lineup.

There was little suspense in this game, after we won the first quarter 23-13, we unleased a 32 point second quarter with 6 treys to lead 55-33 at the half.  We were 10/17 from three point range in the first half, had 9 steals, and only 4 turnovers.  Our offense slowed dramatically in the first part of the 3rd quarter, as we came out missing all those treys we had been hitting.  But it started clicking again and our defense improved, and we wound up winning the second half 34-21. 

Tara played all 13 healthy players, with 9 getting double digit minutes and Dodson getting 9 minutes.  11 players scored.

Performances:

It is not hard to understand how we won, given that we shot 15/30 three point shots, and we shot 54% overall to their 34%.  Their leading scorer, Briana Maxwell, was 0/6 for 0 points.  Turnovers evened out in the end--we had 13 to their 16, so that was not as outstanding as the last time we played them, and rebounds were somewhat even as well--but there were few offensive rebounds for us to get since we were making most of our shots.  24 of our 38 field goals were assisted, which is one of our better passing games.  Utah does not do much to disrupt those perimeter passes the way the close defenses we have played before do.  We also had 25 fast break points to their 2, 11 blocks to their 1, and 42 points in the paint to their 20.

Lexie had 24 points in 24 minutes, including 4/6 treys, some rebounds, assists, steals etc.  Outstanding all around.

Williams had 19 points in 30 minutes, including 4/10 treys, and a similarly outstanding stat line. 

The posts all did well in their own ways. 

Prechtel had 16 points in 14 minutes, got 3 blocks and was versatile in her scoring.

Belibi had 10 points in 14 minutes and an outstanding 5/6 shooting, to go with 2 assists.

Dodson looked pretty good offensively with 7 points in 9 minutes and played outstanding defense, getting a block.

Fingall played 22 minutes and got 3 blocks and 5 points.

There were many other contributors, too numerous to list.  Tara kept her team fresh for the demolition derby that is coming up at Colorado.

Conclusion:

An outstanding game to watch, especially with out 25 fast break points and the plethora of threes.  I do think Utah seems to be particularly ill suited to us, and Colorado matches up against us much better.  I am not looking forward to Sunday's game nor expecting it to be a pretty one to watch.  But I am looking forward to seeing Dodson increase her role and giving us another dimension as we move forward.

RE: WBB: Stanford @ Utah 6pm Friday - Baez87 - 02-14-2020

Does your curiosity about Dodson fall along the lines that: if Maya is to return this year, it’s going to have to be against beatable teams so she can get some minutes, and this is our last chance before our Oregon and Arizona games? Also, are you speculating that DiJonai will not return?

RE: WBB: Stanford @ Utah 6pm Friday - CompSci87 - 02-14-2020

Tara said at the last post-game press conference that Maya has returned to practice and may play this weekend.

The most she's said about Di is that she's working hard towards being able to return.

RE: WBB: Stanford @ Utah 6pm Friday - 81alum - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 12:23 AM)Baez87 Wrote:  Does your curiosity about Dodson fall along the lines that: if Maya is to return this year, it’s going to have to be against beatable teams so she can get some minutes, and this is our last chance before our Oregon and Arizona games? Also, are you speculating that DiJonai will not return?
Yes and yes, based on what 87 said. Of course, we can always hope for more.

RE: WBB: Stanford @ Utah 6pm Friday - Baez87 - 02-14-2020

Maya is dressed and ready in the team Valentines Day photo! Let’s hope she is ready to play.

RE: WBB: Stanford @ Utah 6pm Friday - crackpot - 02-14-2020

Was pleased to see Haley in the background. Alas, no DiJonai.

RE: WBB: Stanford @ Utah 6pm Friday - chimera - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 03:23 PM)crackpot Wrote:  Was pleased to see Haley in the background. Alas, no DiJonai.

Unless my eyesight is going, Jones was not in that picture.

Kevin Danno (official radio) says Maya Dodson will play tonight.

Other highlights from his interview with Tara:

Alyssa Jerome was reinserted in the starting lineup against USC due to her understanding and investment in the game.

Jenna Brown has shown great focus in practice and is understanding the system.  Kiana Williams got "run down" in the UCLA game and we need Brown and Wilson to relieve her from time to time.

Maya Dodson is in uniform, is cleared to play.  Tara says Maya wants to play with Nadia before Nadia leaves.  Tara seemed very pleased that Maya will contribute this season.  Maya's rebounding and defense are important.  She will play 10-12 minutes in 2 minute chunks.

We are "post by committee" since we don't have an Ogwumike who can get you 25 a night.

Utah has excellent shooters and so the key to win is to be aggressive on defense and to rebound.

We will have to play well tonight to win.  Defending the 3 pt. line--especially #11--is key.  In the last game our pick and roll worked, we'll see if it works again.

(02-14-2020, 05:29 PM)chimera Wrote:  
(02-14-2020, 03:23 PM)crackpot Wrote:  Was pleased to see Haley in the background. Alas, no DiJonai.

Unless my eyesight is going, Jones was not in that picture.

Enhh..don't trust my eyesight, though...so...

Stanford starters:
Williams Lexie Lacie Jerome Fingall

A 12-2 run has us up 15-10.  Utah's three point shooting has been good, and leads like this are oh so tentative if Utah gets hot and our defense sags too much.

Dodson in, does a back to the basket move and backs down her defender, makes the shot and converts the and-one!

Then she plays terrific defense on Lola Pendande at the other end and forces a bad shot.

After the first quarter we are up 23-13.

It is good to have Maya Dodson back :)

I like what I am seeing on offense.  A great high-low pass from Fingall to Prechtel.  Fingall converting on a back-to-the-basket move.  Several easy transition baskets.

Defense is only so-so.  With five minutes left in the half we are up 34-25.

I think that is our best offensive half of the season.

The half ends with a well drawn-up play getting Prechtel open as the clock winds down for a 3 pointer, then we steal the inbounds and get a last second bucket.  We lead 55-33 at the half.

Everything seems to work well when you are 10/17 from three point range.  Kiana is 4/7 from three, including a couple of ridiculous NBA rangers, and Lexie is 3/5 from three.  That opens up everything else.

We also have 9 steals and only 4 turnovers.

And a very nice first half for Dodson.

This is fun.

Can we have more of this?

(02-14-2020, 07:47 PM)crackpot Wrote:  This is fun.

Can we have more of this?
Yes please.

Knowing Tara, and given that we are playing at altitude, I expect a lot of bench play to conserve energy for Colorado.  So I doubt the game will end 110-66.  But I would love to see a second half like the first.  Not just because we lead--it was a joy to watch that style of play.

RE: WBB: Stanford @ Utah 6pm Friday - mbdude - 02-14-2020

Well we're 3 of 12 so far in 3rd qtr, 1 of 7 from 3

(02-14-2020, 08:14 PM)mbdude Wrote:  Well we're 3 of 12 so far in 3rd qtr, 1 of 7 from 3
Even so, we wind up extending the lead to 74-46 after the quarter.  Our shooting cooled off in the 3rd to 44% from the scorching 65% in the 2nd.  But we held Utah to 19%.

With 5 minutes left in the game, the Utah freshman star Maxwell, has been held to 0/5 and no points.  Sometimes scouting report defense works spectacularly.  Tara figured out how to defend her.

Now the Oregon UCLA game comes on.  I think it is in our interest for Oregon to win, would move us into 2nd place.

RE: WBB: Stanford @ Utah 6pm Friday - biketoc - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 08:25 PM)81alum Wrote:  
(02-14-2020, 08:14 PM)mbdude Wrote:  Well we're 3 of 12 so far in 3rd qtr, 1 of 7 from 3

Now the Oregon UCLA game comes on.  I think it is in our interest for Oregon to win, would move us into 2nd place.

Actually, if UCLA wins we are in a 3 way tie for first.

RE: WBB: Stanford @ Utah 6pm Friday - petersalas - 02-14-2020

A UCLA win would put us in a 3 way tie for first place.. hopefully we can get some help from other teams to knock those two off while Stanford starts rolling and takes care of their business.. 

(02-14-2020, 08:25 PM)81alum Wrote:  
Even so, we wind up extending the lead to 74-46 after the quarter.  Our shooting cooled off in the 3rd to 44% from the scorching 65% in the 2nd.  But we held Utah to 19%.

With 5 minutes left in the game, the Utah freshman star Maxwell, has been held to 0/5 and no points.  Sometimes scouting report defense works spectacularly.  Tara figured out how to defend her.

RE: WBB: Stanford 97 Utah 64 - chimera - 02-14-2020

I think it might be better for us if Oregon wins.  They deserve to be in first and will probably stay there.  Better they help us by knocking down some other teams than they lose and get mad before we play them.  

Very fun game to watch.  I think we are a very bad match-up for Utah.  We seem to be very comfortable against them, while they give other teams more trouble.

Loved seeing Maya back.  She had some great moments, doubly so considering the long time off.  She could really help inside.  We have four strong posts, and Tara can play them strategically based on match-ups and who happens to be on in any given game.  All of them played well today.

Lexie had a great game too, as did Kiana. Just a great overall effort.  Of course any team will look great when the threes drop.

RE: WBB: Stanford 97 Utah 64 - StanFanFam13 - 02-14-2020

That was just a fun game to watch! Wonderful to see our offense really show what it can do, and SO great to see Dodson back on the court after all this time. Yes, she is still getting back into it and was winded at times, but she also really finished at the basket in a way that we're going to need going into these next few games. Hopefully she can contribute to our rebounding game as well; the opening minutes of the UCLA/Oregon showdown are making clear just how crucial that will be.

RE: WBB: Stanford 97 Utah 64 - mbdude - 02-14-2020

Prechtel was impressive getting up and down court. Maya seemed to be very confident.