The CardBoard
Stanford Softball-Week 2 - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Stanford Softball-Week 2 (/showthread.php?tid=18972)

Pages: 1 2

Stanford Softball-Week 2 - d4cohn - 02-14-2020

Stanford softball started the second week of the season with a doubleheader split against Seattle.
Taylor Gindlesperger was the hero with a 10th inning walk-off 2 run HR in Stanford's win.

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - BobK - 02-14-2020

Our hitting lacks right now but a great walk off HR

Lost the first when all the Seattle runs were unearned.

D are you around I’ll be there tonight for the rest of the weekend plus baseball

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - BobK - 02-14-2020

Vawter Ks 8 Shultz homers and Stanford beats Hofstra 3-0

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - martyup - 02-14-2020

All Right Now!  Way to kick off the season.  GO CARD!

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - d4cohn - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 10:48 AM)BobK Wrote:  Our hitting lacks right now but a great walk off HR

Lost the first when all the Seattle runs were unearned. 

D are you around I’ll be there tonight for the rest of the weekend plus baseball

Hi Bob, unfortunately I am probably not going to be able to make it out this weekend, as we have family plans.

I didn't get a chance to watch tonight's game, but our hitting stats in terms of BA and OBP are solid. The issue has been
our Slugging Percentage, which is a bit low; however, that may be attributable to last weekend's tourney being 
played in a stadium that didn't seem to be a hitter's park (i.e. we had a lot of fly balls to the outfield that either
didn't get down for extra bases, or clear the fence for a HR). As such, when you don't have as many XBH, you 
have to string together multiple hits to score runs (or go small with steals as we continue to do). Some of our hits have also
come a bit late in innings (I noted at least a couple instances last weekend when we started our rallies with 2 outs, which
puts a lot of pressure on the offense). Finally, I think some of our experienced players have struggled a bit
(relative to their high standards) at the plate. 

All in all, 7-2 is a solid start to the year. Neither loss is particularly bad for the resume, though I expect Seattle to 
be a better loss at selection time. Seattle lost by 1 to UA and Northwestern, and their relief pitcher that won Game #1
apparently had 10 strikeouts against UA (who would be my pick to win the Pac-12, and will be WCWS and National Title
contenders). 

The thing that has been great to see is the pitching has been just fantastic. A sub 1.00 team ERA, with multiple
notable contributors, is outstanding. Tatum Boyd has been so good; Coach Nyberg has done an outstanding job.

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - BobK - 02-15-2020

I’ll see two day surrounding also baseball

Cowles hit a ball to left I thought was gone. In the day probably but last night at the fence for an out.
Lim hits the ball hard every time

Great to watch Vawter Great change

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - BostonCard - 02-15-2020

Well we swept the doubleheader today, 1-0 and 8-4 to move to a 9-2 record to start the season. Not bad at all.

BC

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - BobK - 02-15-2020

Dwyer was great pitching the shutout.
Millar came in at 5-4 Stanford to shut the door

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - BobK - 02-16-2020

Another win. 9-0 with Vawter pitching a one hitter. And Cowles with an 8 run mercy rule walk off HR

Stanford now 9-2

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - martyup - 02-16-2020

Great start.  What are our prospects in the Pac-12 this season?

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - d4cohn - 02-16-2020

(02-16-2020, 07:31 PM)martyup Wrote:  Great start.  What are our prospects in the Pac-12 this season?

We were picked to finish 6th in the pre-season poll, but I think we have a chance
to surprise once again to the upside this year, on account of the fantastic pitching
we have been getting from particularly Dwyer, Boyd and Vawter, along with Pancino
in relief.

The offense put up better slugging percentage numbers at home this weekend,
so it appears our early lack of power was as much a pitcher's park as anything.

Given the strength of our early schedule, I think our offense still has room for improvement,
and will be needed to offset the regression that comes from playing such difficult competition
in Pac-12 play. 

UCLA looks very strong, along with UA and UW when Plain is pitching. But I think the league
will be very competitive this year, so we will need to play well to do well. I don't see any easy
outs in the Pac, aside from maybe Cal.

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - BobK - 02-16-2020

We are in a league with 3 of the top 5 teams in the country. As D posted awhile back we need to win a lot of of non conference games. So far so good.

Having a league 500 record is a lot to ask for

Vawter has a great change which I love to see. We haven’t seen that much at Stanford

Stanford hit the ball hard this weekend. A number of outs were very hard hit balls several to the fence

We have two Frosh hitting 3-4. Lim and Steele. And they are impressive

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - martyup - 02-17-2020

Hey d4cohn and BobK, thanks for the . . . [Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia...f=1&nofb=1]

GO CARD!

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - BobK - 02-18-2020

Stanford is 30 in Massey. That’s good
However 6 Pac 12 teams ahead of us
We host Fresno State tonight

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - BobK - 02-18-2020

Steele with a bottom of the 9th walk off grand slam. Stanford beats Fresno 7-3

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - martyup - 02-19-2020

(02-18-2020, 09:49 PM)BobK Wrote:  Steele with a bottom of the 9th walk off grand slam.    Stanford beats Fresno 7-3

Yowser!  Way to finish big.   BOOM!

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - Spiny_Norman - 02-19-2020

(02-18-2020, 09:49 PM)BobK Wrote:  Steele with a bottom of the 9th walk off grand slam.    Stanford beats Fresno 7-3

This what it looked like.

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - martyup - 02-20-2020

I love the stunned look off disbelief on the faces of the Fresno players.  It took them a few moments to realize that the game was over and they should leave the field.

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - oldalum - 02-20-2020

This is a multi-use post!

(02-20-2020, 09:15 AM)martyup Wrote:  I love the stunned look off disbelief on the faces of the Fresno Colorado players.  It took them a few moments to realize that the game was over and they should leave the court field.

RE: Stanford Softball-Week 2 - BostonCard - 02-20-2020

Another view of the GS, with an excited announcer (not quite as excited as Kevin Danna)

BC