The CardBoard
Fball Recruiting Class of 2022 - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Fball Recruiting Class of 2022 (/showthread.php?tid=19080)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Class of 2022 - BobK - 02-22-2021

Or no AP classes needed ?

RE: Class of 2022 - OutsiderFan - 02-22-2021

I have no doubt some guys will claim their choice is more about the other school being superior, when the reality is they weren't willing to do the work to get into Stanford.

But, I also have no doubt that as David Shaw has allowed his program to fall - without making aggressive moves to stay on top or get back on top as Notre Dame, UCLA, and USC obviously have - more recruits who might have done the work to get into Stanford, will not.

Because the fact of the matter is the top recruits are football-first and want to win. Look at Solomon Thomas. He was a 5 star recruit and the first RS Soph Stanford lost to the NFL. 

The sad thing is Stanford used to be able to sell itself as the best NFL prep.  But now, as NFL offenses have become more like college, Stanford is not the cutting edge of the NFL anymore, because Shaw has brought it zero new NFL-experienced coaches and, he hasn't brought in coaches from leading edge college programs either.  

I've always questioned David Shaw's ability to make himself uncomfortable and challenge his thinking with outside minds.  After 10 years, it's obvious he simply isn't ever going to do it.

RE: Class of 2022 - Goose - 02-22-2021

(02-22-2021, 08:53 AM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  
(02-21-2021, 07:53 PM)VB Card Wrote:  Lost out on two recruits today: 4 star TE Jack Pedersen (UCLA) and 4 star RB Jadarian Price (Notre Dame)... 

Glad we already have a recruit committed for each position but the staff was still after both. 
This quote from Price is telling: 
"Stanford was one of my top schools at one point. That was a serious one for me. Obviously the academics at Stanford are up there and it's ranked toward the top across the country. But Notre Dame, its academics and football,” said Price. “I will have the chance to make it to the NFL, meet people all around the world, and get one of the best degrees in the world. It's both for me. It doesn't get any better than that when looking at football and academics."

Definitely unfortunate that we are now being looked at as an excellent academic school, but if you want top drawer football you go somewhere else.

Even in our best years that was true. Shaw has recounted the story about one recruit telling him that his (Shaw's) team "just wasn't good enough" to showcase the recruit's talents. Shaw has made it a goal to have that condition not recur, but it undoubtedly is an issue with the current team. However, even when Stanford is at it's best, if you want "top drawer" football you will find it at Alabama, Clemson, tOSU etc. The UFDG puts itself in that group. Their performance doesn't really justify that IMHO, but it is obviously somewhat commonly accepted. Hype sometimes does count.

That said, can Stanford beat those teams? Well, UFDG certainly, as we often demonstrate. However, facts aside, we are not and do not desire to be a "Football School". Just how it is. Some guys want a "Football School". Good on em, but that isn't Stanford.

RE: Class of 2022 - JohnR34231 - 02-23-2021

(02-22-2021, 12:39 PM)Goose Wrote:  
(02-22-2021, 08:53 AM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  
(02-21-2021, 07:53 PM)VB Card Wrote:  Lost out on two recruits today: 4 star TE Jack Pedersen (UCLA) and 4 star RB Jadarian Price (Notre Dame)... 

Glad we already have a recruit committed for each position but the staff was still after both. 
This quote from Price is telling: 
"Stanford was one of my top schools at one point. That was a serious one for me. Obviously the academics at Stanford are up there and it's ranked toward the top across the country. But Notre Dame, its academics and football,” said Price. “I will have the chance to make it to the NFL, meet people all around the world, and get one of the best degrees in the world. It's both for me. It doesn't get any better than that when looking at football and academics."

Definitely unfortunate that we are now being looked at as an excellent academic school, but if you want top drawer football you go somewhere else.

Even in our best years that was true. Shaw has recounted the story about one recruit telling him that his (Shaw's) team "just wasn't good enough" to showcase the recruit's talents. Shaw has made it a goal to have that condition not recur, but it undoubtedly is an issue with the current team. However, even when Stanford is at it's best, if you want "top drawer" football you will find it at Alabama, Clemson, tOSU etc. The UFDG puts itself in that group. Their performance doesn't really justify that IMHO, but it is obviously somewhat commonly accepted. Hype sometimes does count.

That said, can Stanford beat those teams? Well, UFDG certainly, as we often demonstrate. However, facts aside, we are not and do not desire to be a "Football School". Just how it is. Some guys want a "Football School". Good on em, but that isn't Stanford.

Well, in 2010-2015 we went to five NY6 bowls, culminating in a #3 in the nation ranking.
I would call that a top drawer team.
I think our 2017 recruiting class considered us top drawer, since it included the #1 QB and TE in the nation, and two of the top OL.

RE: Class of 2022 - BostonCard - 02-23-2021

Needless to say, he plays a position of need.  You gotta like his questions, and the fact that he has both his GPA/test scores and 40 time in his twitter bio.  Downside is that his offer from Michigan is pinned.

BC

RE: Class of 2022 - Phogge - 02-23-2021

When you take a step back you understand how ridiculous it is to supplicate your institution on bended knee to 16-18 year olds who have no conception of the real world. Of course most coaches don't give a rat's azz about selling out to the devil.

RE: Class of 2022 - CompSci87 - 02-23-2021

(02-23-2021, 11:55 AM)Phogge Wrote:  When you take a step back you understand how ridiculous it is to supplicate your institution on bended knee to 16-18 year olds who have no conception of the real world. Of course most coaches don't give a rat's azz about selling out to the devil.

This reminds me of Haase writing a handwritten letter to ZW every day for a year. Don't get me wrong, it's great we got ZW and he seems like a team player, not at all some kind of teenage egomaniac. But wow, it's crazy that recruiting has reached such a point.

RE: Class of 2022 - Goose - 02-23-2021

(02-23-2021, 12:02 PM)CompSci87 Wrote:  This reminds me of Haase writing a handwritten letter to ZW every day for a year. Don't get me wrong, it's great we got ZW and he seems like a team player, not at all some kind of teenage egomaniac. But wow, it's crazy that recruiting has reached such a point.
Interesting psychology experiment. If it were me, I would be worried if the man who is going to coach me has so much free time on his hands that he sends me a handwritten note every day. He should be coaching the 14 or so he already as at least most of the time. YMMV.

RE: Class of 2022 - JohnR34231 - 02-23-2021

(02-23-2021, 12:02 PM)CompSci87 Wrote:  
(02-23-2021, 11:55 AM)Phogge Wrote:  When you take a step back you understand how ridiculous it is to supplicate your institution on bended knee to 16-18 year olds who have no conception of the real world. Of course most coaches don't give a rat's azz about selling out to the devil.

This reminds me of Haase writing a handwritten letter to ZW every day for a year. Don't get me wrong, it's great we got ZW and he seems like a team player, not at all some kind of teenage egomaniac. But wow, it's crazy that recruiting has reached such a point.

Actually I think it has been there for some time. You just haven't heard about Stanford coaches participating.

RE: Class of 2022 - BostonCard - 02-23-2021

OLB

BC

RE: Class of 2022 - VB Card - 02-26-2021

New QB offer. Looking like a Stanford-ND battle for Angeli. It looked like he was ready to commit to ND recently but they have slowplayed him and started going after other QB's.

RE: Class of 2022 - Publius - 03-01-2021

(02-26-2021, 03:23 PM)VB Card Wrote:  

New QB offer. Looking like a Stanford-ND battle for Angeli. It looked like he was ready to commit to ND recently but they have slowplayed him and started going after other QB's.

A NJ friend tells me that Angeli's high school fields one of the best football teams in the state and that he faces D-1 defense commits every week.

RE: Class of 2022 - VB Card - 03-01-2021

https://twitter.com/JuniorNiuafe/status/1366478405479198720?s=20 

Made the top 5 for Niuafe Tuihalamaka, a 4 star ILB from Mission Hills, CA. De-committed from USC a few weeks ago and the Trojans didn't make this cut.

RE: Class of 2022 - VB Card - 03-04-2021

And he just committed to ND. We're out on 2/4 QB's offered this cycle. All in on MJ Morris. 
https://twitter.com/SteveAngeli_125/status/1367651180038488066?s=20

RE: Class of 2022 - SamuelMcF - 03-05-2021

Supposedly our virtual Feb Junior Day made a very positive impact on priority S target Moore and family. We have another one coming up tomorrow.

RE: Class of 2022 - JohnR34231 - 03-07-2021

(03-04-2021, 08:21 PM)VB Card Wrote:  

And he just committed to ND. We're out on 2/4 QB's offered this cycle. All in on MJ Morris. 

The good old days of a few years ago when we would win the head to head battles with ND for recruits seem to have left us.

RE: Class of 2022 - old spanish trail - 03-07-2021

(03-07-2021, 09:26 AM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  
(03-04-2021, 08:21 PM)VB Card Wrote:  

________________________________________________________________________________________

The good old days of a few years ago when we would win the head to head battles with ND for recruits seem to have left us.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Maybe, but not here. Angeli's whole family has ND history.

RE: Class of 2022 - VB Card - 03-07-2021

New TE offer out of Berkeley Prep in Tampa 

RE: Class of 2022 - BostonCard - 03-08-2021

BC

RE: Class of 2022 - slide - 03-09-2021

thanks BC.  interesting film on Hudson.  a throwback to our pre-Harbaugh sized OLBs, but he looks like he runs better than some of the guys we've had in our secondary of late.