The CardBoard
Fball Recruiting Class of 2022 - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Fball Recruiting Class of 2022 (/showthread.php?tid=19080)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Class of 2022 - Papa John - 04-29-2021

Braden Davis has offers from the SEC (Bama, Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, Texas A&M), ACC (Duke, Georgia Tech, NC State, Clemson, Florida State, Virginia Tech), B1G (Iowa, Michigan State, Penn State, Rutgers), Big 12 (West Virginia) and Pac 12 (Stanford, Oregon, Washington State).

BD is announcing his commitment on Friday, yet there are no crystal ball predictions on 247sports nor any future cast predictions on Rivals. That seems kind of odd for a player who has attracted so much interest from major programs?

RE: Class of 2022 - SamuelMcF - 04-29-2021

(04-29-2021, 09:48 AM)Papa John Wrote:  Braden Davis has offers from the SEC (Bama, Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, Texas A&M), ACC (Duke, Georgia Tech, NC State, Clemson, Florida State, Virginia Tech), B1G (Iowa, Michigan State, Penn State, Rutgers), Big 12 (West Virginia) and Pac 12 (Stanford, Oregon, Washington State).

BD is announcing his commitment on Friday, yet there are no crystal ball predictions on 247sports nor any future cast predictions on Rivals. That seems kind of odd for a player who has attracted so much interest from major programs?

Not nearly all of those are committable. (Many of those schools have a QB commit already.) It's viewed as a Stanford-South Carolina tossup.

RE: Class of 2022 - BostonCard - 04-29-2021

(04-29-2021, 10:40 AM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  Not nearly all of those are committable. (Many of those schools have a QB commit already.) It's viewed as a Stanford-South Carolina tossup.

Wasn't the last Stanford-South Carolina battle for Ryan Helinski? Didn't end too well for either team.  We wound up losing out on him, and then he transferred out of South Carolina to Northwestern.

BC

RE: Class of 2022 - SamuelMcF - 04-29-2021

(04-29-2021, 11:38 AM)BostonCard Wrote:  
(04-29-2021, 10:40 AM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  Not nearly all of those are committable. (Many of those schools have a QB commit already.) It's viewed as a Stanford-South Carolina tossup.

Wasn't the last Stanford-South Carolina battle for Ryan Helinski? Didn't end too well for either team.  We wound up losing out on him, and then he transferred out of South Carolina to Northwestern.

BC

The difference is we offered Hilinski in August before his senior year, which is horrifically late for a QB to the point where it's kind of funny.

Meanwhile, South Carolina offered Davis earlier this month.

RE: Class of 2022 - BostonCard - 04-29-2021

Also, Helinski had some very personal reasons to want to get away from the West Coast that are not applicable to Davis.

Davis is from Delaware, and Arkansas is the only other finalist West of the Mississippi, and not especially that much west.

BC

RE: Class of 2022 - Papa John - 04-29-2021

Useful information, although I still think it odd that none of the experts are predicting BD's decision. Per 247sports, Davis is the #5 dual-threat QB in the 2022 class, #186 overall. Rivals has him as the #14 pro-style QB. Both services rate him as a 4-star prospect. Also, he's the top uncommitted QB for both services.

RE: Class of 2022 - VB Card - 04-29-2021

(04-29-2021, 02:09 PM)Papa John Wrote:  Useful information, although I still think it odd that none of the experts are predicting BD's decision. Per 247sports, Davis is the #5 dual-threat QB in the 2022 class, #186 overall. Rivals has him as the #14 pro-style QB. Both services rate him as a 4-star prospect. Also, he's the top uncommitted QB for both services.

FWIW, a few weeks ago Stanford was considered the leader after he visited campus but USCe has made up ground and its too close to call right now. He has talked a lot about how he values engineering but has also said SEC football is very appealing to him (his dad was a stud offensive tackle at Tennessee). Whichever of those 2 prevails will be the pick tomorrow night.

RE: Class of 2022 - Phogge - 04-29-2021

Ari Patu better be very, very good.

RE: Class of 2022 - OutsiderFan - 04-29-2021

Name a QB from South Carolina who has played in the NFL. I can't remember any drafted QB from South Carolina off the top of my head. There must have been some, but not exactly the QB factory Stanford is.

RE: Class of 2022 - VB Card - 04-30-2021

(04-29-2021, 07:34 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Name a QB from South Carolina who has played in the NFL. I can't remember any drafted QB from South Carolina off the top of my head. There must have been some, but not exactly the QB factory Stanford is.

Well it doesn't matter what QB's USCe has produced because they have a first time HC who just got hired a few months ago, plus they only offered Davis within the past month. If Tavita and Shaw can't reel him in...

RE: Class of 2022 - Papa John - 04-30-2021

Three Braden Davis FutureCasts this morning on Rivals, all for South Carolina.

RE: Class of 2022 - VB Card - 04-30-2021

Davis officially to South Carolina. Time to either double down on MJ Morris or offer some new QB's.

RE: Class of 2022 - BostonCard - 04-30-2021

(04-29-2021, 12:31 PM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  
(04-29-2021, 11:38 AM)BostonCard Wrote:  

BC

The difference is we offered Hilinski in August before his senior year, which is horrifically late for a QB to the point where it's kind of funny.

Meanwhile, South Carolina offered Davis earlier this month.

Alas, the same outcome.

BC

RE: Class of 2022 - Papa John - 04-30-2021

I'm guessing this will mean no scholarship QBs for 2022? We offered four.

Here are the years with no scholarship QB in the Shaw era:
2012--offered Gunnar Kiel (UND), Connor Brewer (Texas), Jeff Lindquist (UW), Jameis Winson (FSU), Patton Robinette (Vandy), Skyler Mornhinweg (Florida)
2015--Ricky Town (SC), Brandon Wimbush (UND)
2019--Ryan Hilinski (S. Car)
2020--no offers (although we had Tanner McKee returning from his mission)

Pressure's on 2023.

RE: Class of 2022 - OutsiderFan - 04-30-2021

It should be humiliating for Stanford to lose top QB prospects to South Carolina. David Shaw needs to do some very hasty market research to find out why the last two head to head recruiting battles have gone to Columbia, South Carolina over Stanford, California, and adjust accordingly.

RE: Class of 2022 - Publius - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 03:43 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  It should be humiliating for Stanford to lose top QB prospects to South Carolina. David Shaw needs to do some very hasty market research to find out why the last two head to head recruiting battles have gone to Columbia, South Carolina over Stanford, California, and adjust accordingly.

I can understand losing recruits to U$C.  But to UofSC?  Come on, man!

RE: Class of 2022 - Papa John - 05-01-2021

I'd like to think that it's because of the lack of on-campus visits, but I fear that there are other causes for these near misses--and I'm not talking about admissions.

Here are the QBs on roster:
Isaiah Sanders, 6th year
Jack West, Senior
Ari Patu, Freshman
Dylan Plautz (non-scholarship), Senior
Tanner McKee, Sophomore
Beau Nelson (non-scholarship), Sophomore

So in 2023 we'll have Ari Patu and, maybe, Tanner McKee as the only scholarship QBs on the roster with experience in the system. Yikes!

I suppose there's always the possibility of flipping a quality QB who is currently committed elsewhere or landing a grad transfer like Sanders, but it's not looking good.

RE: Class of 2022 - Phogge - 05-01-2021

Perhaps it’s time to shake up the recruting department.

RE: Class of 2022 - TrumpCard - 05-01-2021

(05-01-2021, 10:02 AM)Phogge Wrote:  Perhaps it’s time to shake up the recruting department. coaching staff.

Fixed it for you.

RE: Class of 2022 - JohnR34231 - 05-01-2021

(05-01-2021, 11:18 AM)TrumpCard Wrote:  
(05-01-2021, 10:02 AM)Phogge Wrote:  Perhaps it’s time to shake up the recruting department. coaching staff.

Fixed it for you.

Shaw should shake up his staff?
My goodness, what a novel idea.
I wonder why no one on the Cardboard has ever thought of this before?