The CardBoard
OT Stanford baseball Trivia - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: OT Stanford baseball Trivia (/showthread.php?tid=19216)

Pages: 1 2

OT Stanford baseball Trivia - BobK - 03-24-2020

Name the first round draft choices by MLB from Stanford. Let’s start this century 2000 to now.

But throw in any you want.

The Draft started in 1965 and Rick Monday was the first ever player taken. The first Stanford player taken first round was 1967.

No peeking

Rick Monday’s best play

RE: OT Stanford baseball Trivia - Red80 - 03-24-2020

(03-24-2020, 05:03 PM)BobK Wrote:  Name the first round draft choices by MLB from Stanford.  Let’s start this century 2000 to now. 

The Draft started in 1965 and Rick Monday was the first ever player taken.  The first Stanford player taken first round was 1967.   

No peeking

What Stanford football signee never made it to The Farm because he was drafted in the 1st Rd. of the MLB draft? 

Rick Monday’s best play

RE: OT Stanford baseball Trivia - BobK - 03-24-2020

Drafted by the Angels. Good one

RE: OT Stanford baseball Trivia - Mick - 03-24-2020

Bob Boone?

Not Bob Boone football He was a 6th round pick

(03-24-2020, 05:03 PM)BobK Wrote:  Name the first round draft choices by MLB from Stanford.  Let’s start this century 2000 to now. 

The Draft started in 1965 and Rick Monday was the first ever player taken.  The first Stanford player taken first round was 1967.   

No peeking

What Stanford football signee never made it to The Farm because he was drafted in the 1st Rd. of the MLB draft? 

Rick Monday’s best play

Tom Brunansky WR a Walsh recruit 1978 or 77

(03-24-2020, 06:54 PM)Red80 Wrote:  What Stanford football signee never made it to The Farm because he was drafted in the 1st Rd. of the MLB draft?

I'm going to guess Billy Beane, GM of the A's.

Mick you and I are both correct. Beane drafted on the first round 1980

(03-24-2020, 07:24 PM)BobK Wrote:  Mick you and I are both correct.  Beane drafted on the first round 1980

Shawn Green was a #1 Pick in '91. Attended Stanford during the off season. Toronto Blue Jays.

So that’s three. There was a pitcher from a Boston signed with Stanford but went high in the draft and signed with a pro team. He roomed with Storen and graduated from Stanford often injured. I think last name McCleary or close Anyone ?

(03-24-2020, 08:21 PM)BobK Wrote:  So that’s three.    There was a pitcher from a Boston signed with Stanford but went high in the draft and signed with a pro team.  He roomed with Storen and graduated from Stanford often injured.  I think last name McCleary or close    Anyone ?

Bob, did the pitcher from Boston actually attend Stanford?  Was he Storen's year?  Did he ever play pros?

RE: OT Stanford baseball Trivia - Phogge - 03-24-2020

Seven future MLBers played on the 1967 Indian team that lost the championship game in the CWS. Name them. Over the course of three years I played against all of them. Not very successfully.

RE: OT Stanford baseball Trivia - BobK - 03-25-2020

Mick yes he played pro and about Storen’s
Class. I though drafted by the nationals

He was hurt a lot and doubt he made the majors.

Frank Duffy was Stanford’s first first round pick

Duffy was famous why?

He hit a loooong HR off Phogge?
Traded to the Giants for George Foster ?
Traded to Cleveland with Gaylord Perry for Sam McDowell ?

RE: OT Stanford baseball Trivia - Phogge - 03-25-2020

Duffy was all those things. 1967 hint: Four pitchers, an outfielder, an infielder and a guy who played a different position for many years in the Bigs.

3B Bob Boone became a catcher
Pitchers Shank , Vance

That’s three.

Another pitcher Rose

Don Rose, Angels and Giants.

Sandy Vance a sad story. Dodgers very excited after his rookie year, then got hurt and disappeared.

And I thought that Boone’s brother (Rod?) was a better hitter in college. Bay Area college baseball had some great players in the mid Sixties. Cal had Messersmith, Rich Nye. Santa Clara had two time AA Vince Bigone and future White Sox Bob Spence. Pacific had a couple of pitchers who made it into MLB. Even though we were a non scholie program we could hang with D1 teams. Knocked off Cal when I was a freshman and future draftee Don Elam beat Santa Clara and Jan Dukes in ‘67.

Mark Marquess on the 1967 team and drafted