The CardBoard
Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: Emergency (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Covid-19 (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Interesting new poll on covid attitudes (/showthread.php?tid=19772)

Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - stupac2 - 05-23-2020

Here's the poll, but the main item of interest to me is this:

[Image: chart2-5.22.20new.JPG]

I'm not sure how viable any business is with at most ~75% of their regular customers, presumably some would survive, but it's clear that even in the absence of SiP orders we'd be looking at some economic contraction.

I'm also mystified about the continued high support for hair care (is it really that hard to do it yourself/have a partner do it/just get shaggy?) but I have to imagine more stories like this will give people pause: Hairstylist with COVID-19 served 84 clients while symptomatic, Missouri officials say. Going to a barber/salon just seems insane to me right now.

RE: Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - OutsiderFan - 05-23-2020

Church will kill you. The delta between those who don't go to church regularly and those who do is pretty scary. And we KNOW some of the most identified spread events have happened in such places.

I think I can stand to wear a mask while working out at fitness studio because I only do resistance training there, which means no really heavy breathing, and I've always been conscious about not touching my face with my hands while there. But what about everyone else doing more cardio-intensive work? I'm pretty sure a few breathing heavily through a mask for 30 mins on the elliptical machine would be the equivalent of me not wearing a mask at all.

RE: Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - Snorlax94 - 05-23-2020

(05-23-2020, 12:18 PM)stupac2 Wrote:  I'm also mystified about the continued high support for hair care (is it really that hard to do it yourself/have a partner do it/just get shaggy?) but I have to imagine more stories like this will give people pause: Hairstylist with COVID-19 served 84 clients while symptomatic, Missouri officials say. Going to a barber/salon just seems insane to me right now.
84 clients were exposed, and now they’re contacting all the clients for testing. Because the stylist wore a mask, I’m very curious to learn whether any clients test positive. If they all test negative, that could be a hopeful anecdotal sign on the effectiveness of masks.

For my part, I bought a clipper a couple months ago and have now cut my hair 3 times and my kids’ hair once. You get better at it each time. I could go forever cutting my own hair, but would use my stylist if it were permitted and if the data comes back favorably, but then I’d ask her to cut outdoors.

RE: Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - JustAnotherFan - 05-23-2020

(05-23-2020, 02:06 PM)Snorlax94 Wrote:  
(05-23-2020, 12:18 PM)stupac2 Wrote:  I'm also mystified about the continued high support for hair care (is it really that hard to do it yourself/have a partner do it/just get shaggy?) but I have to imagine more stories like this will give people pause: Hairstylist with COVID-19 served 84 clients while symptomatic, Missouri officials say. Going to a barber/salon just seems insane to me right now.
84 clients were exposed, and now they’re contacting all the clients for testing. Because the stylist wore a mask, I’m very curious to learn whether any clients test positive. If they all test negative, that could be a hopeful anecdotal sign on the effectiveness of masks.

For my part, I bought a clipper a couple months ago and have now cut my hair 3 times and my kids’ hair once. You get better at it each time. I could go forever cutting my own hair, but would use my stylist if it were permitted and if the data comes back favorably, but then I’d ask her to cut outdoors.

Be honest folks ... who was holding onto a Flowbee just for a pandemic like this?

RE: Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - here4WBB - 05-23-2020

I am also stumped by the number of respondents that would see their barber or hairstylists at the risk of exposure.  Anyone touching your head is also likely touching your face, and even wearing a mask they are standing with their face close and above you so you are caught in a constant shower of anything that escapes the mask.  Also, why is the appearance of our hair so crucial when 95% of presentation to non-family members is on video?  Part of this might be that people crave touch and closeness, but that's not enough to explain the demand.

RE: Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - BostonCard - 05-23-2020

A second hairstylist in Missouri tested positive, exposing 56 customers.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article242962271.html

Again, these will be interesting to watch; if lots of people become infected, it will be a strong rationale for limiting hairstyling.  On the other hand, if nobody gets infected, it would be a strong rationale to reopen barbers and hairstylists (with appropriate precuations).

BC

RE: Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - Snorlax94 - 05-23-2020

(05-23-2020, 07:37 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  A second hairstylist in Missouri tested positive, exposing 56 customers.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article242962271.html

Again, these will be interesting to watch; if lots of people become infected, it will be a strong rationale for limiting hairstyling.  On the other hand, if nobody gets infected, it would be a strong rationale to reopen barbers and hairstylists (with appropriate precuations).

BC
Another noteworthy detail: both cases were at a Great Clips. So even if all the clients test negative, haircuts aren’t in the clear yet — cuts at Great Clips are like 10 minute cuts. Also noteworthy was the fact that both employees were “mildly symptomatic” while working for days. That would piss me off if I were a customer. People who are sick need to stay at home, especially if they have close contact with dozens of customers. As intrusive as it sounds, we need to screen employees and, to a lesser degree, shoppers.

RE: Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - stupac2 - 05-23-2020

(05-23-2020, 05:46 PM)JustAnotherFan Wrote:  
(05-23-2020, 02:06 PM)Snorlax94 Wrote:  

Be honest folks ... who was holding onto a Flowbee just for a pandemic like this?

Not going to lie, I genuinely want a flowbee. Years back my wife mentioned it offhand because she listened to an episode of Judge John Hodgman where the wife wanted the husband to stop using it and get a real haircut and it reminded me that they existed and I was just like "YES WE MUST DO THAT". She said no. Plus they're kind of crazy expensive (like $100 when I looked). For the past few years (mostly since we had our son) I've been occasionally having her do my trims (with my beard trimmer and hair scissors), professionals do a better job but dear god is the improvement not worth the risk right now.

RE: Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - Mick - 05-24-2020

(05-23-2020, 07:59 PM)Snorlax94 Wrote:  Another noteworthy detail: both cases were at a Great Clips. So even if all the clients test negative, haircuts aren’t in the clear yet — cuts at Great Clips are like 10 minute cuts. Also noteworthy was the fact that both employees were “mildly symptomatic” while working for days. That would piss me off if I were a customer. People who are sick need to stay at home, especially if they have close contact with dozens of customers. As intrusive as it sounds, we need to screen employees and, to a lesser degree, shoppers.

The plain and simple fact is that people working at Great Clips are probably doing it because they desperately need the money.  They won't stay home if they have a runny nose, and they don't give two sxxts about infecting other people.  And frankly, that goes for some superachievers who have no compunction about going into the office when they were sick.  As my first sexist boss scolded me when I took a sick day for the first time in three years "Men don't get sick!"

(05-23-2020, 12:37 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Church will kill you. The delta between those who don't go to church regularly and those who do is pretty scary. And we KNOW some of the most identified spread events have happened in such places.

Lots of hugging and handshaking and standing within very close range and singing for an hour in my (former) packed church.  No thanks.  And to their credit, they haven't held services since first weekend in March, and don't intend to for the foreseeable future.  And there are some pretty excellent services online for a variety of denominations.

(05-23-2020, 12:18 PM)stupac2 Wrote:  I'm also mystified about the continued high support for hair care (is it really that hard to do it yourself/have a partner do it/just get shaggy?) 

Guessing that stupac2 is a man... ;)

RE: Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - stupac2 - 05-24-2020

(05-24-2020, 06:00 AM)Mick Wrote:  Guessing that stupac2 is a man... ;)

Hell, if anything it's easier for women! My wife cuts her hair like every other year. Just throw it in a ponytail and it doesn't matter what the length is.

RE: Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - 2006alum - 05-24-2020

(05-24-2020, 07:33 AM)stupac2 Wrote:  

Hell, if anything it's easier for women! My wife cuts her hair like every other year. Just throw it in a ponytail and it doesn't matter what the length is.

I can see why you married her. Let's just say not all husbands are lucky to have wives with such low maintenance 'dos. And speaking from personal experience, that goes doubly for mothers.

RE: Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - Mick - 05-24-2020

Not according to Mrs. Mick.  Or my mom.  Stepmother.  Mother-in-law.  Sister.  Half-sister.  Stepsister.  Aunts.  Nieces. About 30 co-workers.

RE: Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - BostonCard - 05-24-2020

I'm not even going to wade into this one.

BC

RE: Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - stupac2 - 05-24-2020

(05-24-2020, 08:09 AM)2006alum Wrote:  

I can see why you married her. Let's just say not all husbands are lucky to have wives with such low maintenance 'dos. And speaking from personal experience, that goes doubly for mothers.

I'm pretty fully on board the "makeup makes women look worse" train. We have a friend who works at Sephora and, look, whatever works for you is fine with me, but I think that it doesn't take very much for it to all look ridiculous.

I mentioned my above post to my wife, who protested that she cut her own hair a bit last time she did mine and my son's, but also that the various company zoom calls have been interesting because "so many bare roots".

I dunno, I find it all kinda perverse. Everyone gets older. Don't fear the reaper, baby.

RE: Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - 82 Card - 05-24-2020

My hair is basically a gray version of early 70s do, minus the feathering. Doesn't really matter. The video camera on my laptop has never worked. Seems to have a film in front of it that I just won't remove. What do they need video for? They can just look at the picture I uploaded 20 years ago. Much nicer.

RE: Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - Mick - 05-25-2020

(05-24-2020, 08:06 PM)stupac2 Wrote:  I'm pretty fully on board the "makeup makes women look worse" train. We have a friend who works at Sephora and, look, whatever works for you is fine with me, but I think that it doesn't take very much for it to all look ridiculous.

I dunno, I find it all kinda perverse. Everyone gets older. Don't fear the reaper, baby.

I basically feel the same.  I've noticed on the myriad zoom/webex/skype/teams calls during my day that our people abandoned the primping that went with in-office, in-person work.  I've also noticed that the number of people actually using the on-camera options have declined precipitously since the early days of attending digital meetings.  I admit to taking more than a few meetings in t-shirts, especially since I'm still on East Coast time and living in San Jose.

Until last Friday.  One of our CXOs hosted a call with about a dozen people, and she notified us in advance that we were expected to be on camera (ostensibly to prevent multitasking, as the subject matter required a lot of concentration).  It was the first call of the day.  I got on about five minutes early, the host got on four minutes early, full video.  My first thought was "What's wrong with her mouth?  Her lips are so red."  Then I realized that she was the first fully-made up person I'd seen in at least a month.  My second thought was "she's not going to make any friends here."  Then, the second person gets on, and he's shaved, hair combed, button-down collared shirt.

#$%@ers.  I took the World's Fastest Shower and shave, put on a collared shirt I reserved for CEO and client calls and rejoined five minutes late.  There some very ticked-off looking people on the call, let me tell you.

RE: Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - Hurlburt88 - 05-25-2020

my wife started showing hints of grey at about 40, and decided to just let it go rather than cover it and then at some point take a sudden leap.    To all their own, but right now our neighbors are chuckling at her practicality as "dealing with the roots" is a regular comedic discussion

(05-25-2020, 07:42 AM)Hurlburt88 Wrote:  my wife started showing hints of grey at about 40, and decided to just let it go rather than cover it and then at some point take a sudden leap.    To all their own, but right now our neighbors are chuckling at her practicality as "dealing with the roots" is a regular comedic discussion

I've always thought gray hair on a woman was really attractive.

RE: Interesting new poll on covid attitudes - BostonCard - 05-25-2020

I've taken to "dressing up" (collared shirt and tie) on Fridays.  It started out as a joke from my wife.  "We should do 'formal Fridays' to contrast with casual Fridays since everything is turned upside down".  My manager, who is pretty stylish, came onto our call on Friday with a jacket and a pocket square, so I guess I've started a trend.

I have generally tended to get into Bay Area work attire (button down shirt and slacks) on weekdays, not so much for the zoom calls, but rather because I find it easier to get in the rhythm of work that way.  It's also why I took my company up on their offer to get me a height adjustable desk, appropriate office chair, external monitor on a stand, etc.  It may be my dining room, but I can make it feel like my office.

BC

(05-25-2020, 09:23 AM)BostonCard Wrote:  It's also why I took my company up on their offer to get me a height adjustable desk, appropriate office chair, external monitor on a stand, etc.  It may be my dining room, but I can make it feel like my office.

BC

My son is in Santa Monica, home of the hard-hit LA County.  His firm has acknowledged that they aren't getting out from under lockdown any time soon, so they sent the entire contents of his office, including wall coverings, desk, multiple monitors, etc. to his house and set him up in a literal home office, for the reason you described.