The CardBoard
Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? (/showthread.php?tid=19969)

Pages: 1 2

Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - hythloday1 - 06-28-2020

I see on Langdude's pinned 2020 personnel post that Pryts has been removed because he doesn't appear on the official Spring roster. I know that he entered the transfer portal but it was reported he decided to stay at Stanford. Complicating matters is that the other player who got in the portal then elected to stay, Scooter Harrington, is listed on the official roster.

I'm unable to find any confirmation one way or the other as to Pryts' status on the team; can anyone help?

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - SamuelMcF - 06-29-2020

(06-28-2020, 01:54 PM)hythloday1 Wrote:  I see on Langdude's pinned 2020 personnel post that Pryts has been removed because he doesn't appear on the official Spring roster. I know that he entered the transfer portal but it was reported he decided to stay at Stanford. Complicating matters is that the other player who got in the portal then elected to stay, Scooter Harrington, is listed on the official roster.

Thomas Schaffer came back.

(06-28-2020, 01:54 PM)hythloday1 Wrote:  I'm unable to find any confirmation one way or the other as to Pryts' status on the team; can anyone help?

Your confirmation is the roster non-listing. These matters are usually very quietly handled.

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - donkey687 - 06-29-2020

(06-29-2020, 10:15 AM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  
(06-28-2020, 01:54 PM)hythloday1 Wrote:  I see on Langdude's pinned 2020 personnel post that Pryts has been removed because he doesn't appear on the official Spring roster. I know that he entered the transfer portal but it was reported he decided to stay at Stanford. Complicating matters is that the other player who got in the portal then elected to stay, Scooter Harrington, is listed on the official roster.

Thomas Schaffer came back.

(06-28-2020, 01:54 PM)hythloday1 Wrote:  I'm unable to find any confirmation one way or the other as to Pryts' status on the team; can anyone help?

Your confirmation is the roster non-listing. These matters are usually very quietly handled.

I think he retired from football

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - Langdude - 06-29-2020

I'm unable to find any confirmation one way or the other as to Pryts' status on the team; can anyone help?

Why is it surprising to you that Scooter Harrington is listed?

-m.

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - hythloday1 - 06-29-2020

Because Harrington (and Schaffer) being listed indicates that it's not Stanford's policy to automatically de-list everyone who entered the transfer portal regardless of whether they intend to return for Fall camp. It's indication, though not proof, that Stanford believes Pryts isn't returning for 2020. It just seems strange that 2019's starting ILB and leading tackler not returning to the team hasn't elicited a single article; I would have thought there was some under-the-radar confirmation that I had just missed.

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - BobK - 06-29-2020

https://247sports.com/college/stanford/Article/Stanford-Football-Spring-Roster-First-Glance-144364740/Amp/

If not still behind a paywall read way down about Pryts retirement

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - BostonCard - 06-29-2020

Also, we took in a graduate transfer at QB.

BC

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - hythloday1 - 06-29-2020

(06-29-2020, 02:15 PM)BobK Wrote:  https://247sports.com/college/stanford/Article/Stanford-Football-Spring-Roster-First-Glance-144364740/Amp/

If not still behind a paywall read way down about Pryts retirement

Thanks, I'd missed that.

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - winflop - 06-30-2020

Even thinner at arguably the weakest position group on the team

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - SamuelMcF - 06-30-2020

(06-30-2020, 07:13 AM)winflop Wrote:  Even thinner at arguably the weakest position group on the team

It's safety by a mile. If Miezan and Mangum-Farrar were healthy at all last season, you wouldn't be saying this.

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - Papa John - 06-30-2020

I mean it's not like we don't have safeties, SamuelMcF. You don't see the likelihood of any improvement over last year? Maybe from the second-year players?

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - BostonCard - 06-30-2020

Improvement at the position would make it merely weak. And if Samuel is worried, I am.

BC

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - Langdude - 06-30-2020

Ayden Hector would have been our best safety next year.

Probably looking at Antoine/Williamson as starters. Maybe McGilll, Jones, Gilman, or cornerback-convert-to-be-named-later will get minutes. But it will not be fun to watch deep coverage and crossing routes. McGill can tackle vs. run, not sure about the rest.

-m.

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - SamuelMcF - 07-01-2020

(06-30-2020, 05:25 PM)Langdude Wrote:  Ayden Hector would have been our best safety next year.

Probably looking at Antoine/Williamson as starters. Maybe McGilll, Jones, Gilman, or cornerback-convert-to-be-named-later will get minutes. But it will not be fun to watch deep coverage and crossing routes. McGill can tackle vs. run, not sure about the rest.

-m.

Antoine and Williamson will start.

McGill will play a lot at nickel (or safety with Antoine at nickel), and I'm actually pretty sanguine on him given the flashes he showed as a true frosh. The jump from freshman to sophomore year is usually sizable, and given the amount he has played already I can see him breaking out. Could end up being a poor man's Honey Badger depending on his development trajectory. Dude is an extremely hard worker and will continue to improve. He does have some athletic limitations but devouring film, letting the game slow down, and playing smart and disciplined is easily half the battle at safety.

Stuart Head will play a lot and JJ Parson will play significant minutes. Neither of these should happen on a P5 defense.

Jones is a CB.

(06-30-2020, 04:30 PM)Papa John Wrote:  I mean it's not like we don't have safeties, SamuelMcF. You don't see the likelihood of any improvement over last year? Maybe from the second-year players?

You're right. We do have 10 safeties on the roster. Here's a breakdown of the room:
- 2 converted CBs, both starters
- Jonathan McGill
- A veteran RS Jr who couldn't beat out one of the above converted CBs, even though said convert was 2 years younger and new to the position
- A true frosh
- FIVE current or former walk-ons

Does this inspire confidence in you? The room is a total mess under the watchful eye of "the best DB coach in college football."

To answer your question, I do see likely improvement over last year from the ONE second-year scholarship player, Jonathan McGill. I suppose Williamson could count as a second-year player too as this will be his second year at safety. I honestly didn't notice much about his play, which probably means he's alright given how much I scrutinized the position last year. Now that I think about it, there's definitely the possibility of improvement in his second year fully entrenched at the position, but again our track record with converted CBs has me concerned until proven otherwise.

Looking at some others:

Spencer Jorgensen and Brock Jones were both walk-on true frosh who played every single game on STs because half the team was dead. I do wonder if we'll see anything from them. Oregon comeback hero Noah Williams received his scholarship, made that insane game-saving forced fumble in Autzen stadium, and then just...disappeared from the position, pretty much only appearing on STs after that. I also thought Nicolas Toomer would come in as a safety for us, but apparently he's a CB - we could really use him here instead, at the very least for credible depth. Now if we convert him, he'll be yet another converted CB. Bummer.

All this said, we might legitimately be taking FOUR bonafide safeties in this recruiting class. That's fine by me, if a bit of an over-correction. The position clearly needs a ground-up rebuild (McGill isn't a bad start and Gilman is obviously TBD), you can play three at a time in nickel packages plus use the depth on STs, and the CB conversions haven't been working.

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - Phogge - 07-01-2020

Back in my day (prehistoric) tackling technique could be improved by hard work and good coaching. I agree with Sam’s take on “The best DB...” Pass coverage improvement is harder. Fine tuning can help a bit but instinct is key.

The poor guys last year couldn’t tackle and couldn’t cover. Did not help that the “All American” Corner wasn’t quite as good as he was made out to be.

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - CTcard - 07-01-2020

(07-01-2020, 01:39 AM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  ... and the CB conversions haven't been working.

While broadly true, I don't think there is any particular reason that CB conversions can't work. For that matter, recently direct S recruiting hasn't been working either. At the least, the conversion route has produced our current two best safeties.

Little details:
- While Antoine was a CB at first for Stanford, several recruiting sites listed him as a safety. I don't know if he played at safety in HS, but it may be he had some background for his conversion.
- Brock Jones seems to be half a walk-on. Don't know if he had a scholarship from the time he agreed to come to Stanford, but given NCAA rules and his baseball status he was a counter the moment he appeared in a game.
- While for a variety of reasons it may not be as relevant today, I find it interesting that back in the dark ages Stanford had significant success turning recruited QBs into safeties - including probably the best safety in Stanford history. I think the most recent of those was Dallas Lloyd, 2012-16 - all in all a success.

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - BobK - 07-01-2020

Brock Jones is on scholarship

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - SamuelMcF - 07-01-2020

(07-01-2020, 09:10 AM)BobK Wrote:  Brock Jones is on scholarship

Right, I forget exactly how it works but I believe Jones' scholarship was counted against football instead of baseball once he actually logged football game time. He was a dual-sport scholarship offer to multiple other P5 schools as well. 

I'm simply saying we don't know enough about him or Jorgensen since they only played STs in a year where the options there were severely limited by the injury bug.

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - Langdude - 07-01-2020

(07-01-2020, 01:39 AM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  
(06-30-2020, 05:25 PM)Langdude Wrote:  Ayden Hector would have been our best safety next year.

-m.

Antoine and Williamson will start.

McGill will play a lot at nickel (or safety with Antoine at nickel), and I'm actually pretty sanguine on him given the flashes he showed as a true frosh. The jump from freshman to sophomore year is usually sizable, and given the amount he has played already I can see him breaking out. Could end up being a poor man's Honey Badger depending on his development trajectory. Dude is an extremely hard worker and will continue to improve. He does have some athletic limitations but devouring film, letting the game slow down, and playing smart and disciplined is easily half the battle at safety.

Stuart Head will play a lot and JJ Parson will play significant minutes. Neither of these should happen on a P5 defense.

Jones is a CB.

Brock Jones is a safety. That's the Jones to which I was referring. I think he may get more PT than Stuart Head, so listed him alongside McGill and Gilman.

-m.

RE: Confirmation on Andrew Pryts' status? - BobK - 07-01-2020

Where are the mods? It’s Brock Jones

Baseball is a partial Scholarship sport Jones is on a football scholarship