The CardBoard
Stanford students on campus - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: Emergency (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Covid-19 (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Stanford students on campus (/showthread.php?tid=19973)

Stanford students on campus - BostonCard - 06-29-2020

BC

RE: Stanford students on campus - chrisk - 06-29-2020

(06-29-2020, 02:34 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  

BC

Junior and senior athletes will obviously get exceptions to this policy for fall sports. How many exceptions will be approved in the fall for winter and spring sports?

RE: Stanford students on campus - M T - 06-29-2020

Wow!  That's going to be one hell of a big congregate housing facility in Santa Clara County.

RE: Stanford students on campus - chrisk - 06-29-2020

(06-29-2020, 02:58 PM)M T Wrote:  Wow!  That's going to be one hell of a big congregate housing facility in Santa Clara County.

The undergrads will be living in singles and 2-room doubles only. Part of new Escondido Village will be allocated to undergrads. Row houses will be used for isolation housing.

I assume they have had preliminary discussions with alum and Palo Alto resident Dr Sara Cody.

Here is the direct link to the letter sent to students today:

https://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/news/planning-2020-21

RE: Stanford students on campus - Farm93 - 06-29-2020

(06-29-2020, 03:14 PM)chrisk Wrote:  
(06-29-2020, 02:58 PM)M T Wrote:  Wow!  That's going to be one hell of a big congregate housing facility in Santa Clara County.

The undergrads will be living in singles and 2-room doubles only.  Part of new Escondido Village will be allocated to undergrads.  Row houses will be used for isolation housing.

I assume they have had preliminary discussions with alum and Palo Alto resident Dr Sara Cody.

Here is the direct link to the letter sent to students today:

https://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/news/planning-2020-21

That's a viable plan, I guess.   Hard to do a lot better given the circumstances and uncertainties. 

The way this was constructed a dorm room will need to be cleaned in December and in a brief window in June.   That seems plausible.
Based on the virus' likely seasonality I would rather be in the Frosh/Soph group.

I am trying to imagine how they will protect the professors.   Will they be surrounded by plexiglass on stage?
My mind quickly went to the idea that they could be in a different room with a video screen image in front of the students, but if that proves necessary then might as well have the students at home.  

There will be no parties, concerts, or other group activities.   So many freshmen suffer home sickness, and this dynamic will be brutally isolating.  I would really be worried as a parent if I knew my freshman-to-be has suffered from depression.   Not only could the isolation created by living away from home in a dorm single create problems, the forced social isolation may mean no one else even recognizes an emerging problem.  

I can't even imagine the challenges of building friendships or dating.   It will be a very lonely place. 

I sure hope it works out.  I am sure there will be a lot of bumps in the road, but at least it is a start.

RE: Stanford students on campus - M T - 06-30-2020

Or, there will be parties & drinking & dating & ....
with a total disregard of the risks of COVID-19.
You know how some kids act once they finally get away from the controls of home.

After all, Stanford won't be in a position to enforce social distancing.
Is Stanford going to be able to indemnify itself from lawsuits over any health damage from a wildfire of COVID-19 among the students?  Will Stanford simply say they are 18 (well, most) and we can't be their parents -- their parents chose to send them here.

RE: Stanford students on campus - chrisk - 06-30-2020

(06-30-2020, 12:17 AM)M T Wrote:  Or, there will be parties & drinking & dating & ....
with a total disregard of the risks of COVID-19.
You know how some kids act once they finally get away from the controls of home.

After all, Stanford won't be in a position to enforce social distancing.
Is Stanford going to be able to indemnify itself from lawsuits over any health damage from a wildfire of COVID-19 among the students?  Will Stanford simply say they are 18 (well, most) and we can't be their parents -- their parents chose to send them here.

The students have the option to attend classes remotely (e.g., by living at home) rather than living on campus during their assigned quarters and I'm sure if they choose to live on campus, they will be signing waivers and taking a pledge to not engage in risky behavior as defined by the university. If the housing situation is approved by the county, the living rules are reasonable, and the students sign waivers and forswear engaging in restricted behavior, I'm sure the university is taking a reasonable risk relative to the hundreds of millions of dollars at stake. Of course, the university will have to have a backup plan to pull the trigger to send everybody if their testing and isolation strategy breaks down. They will also have to be strong in sending students home if they are found breaking the rules.

RE: Stanford students on campus - JustAnotherFan - 06-30-2020

The students will be sent home by Halloween and won't have undergraduates back on campus until after spring break at the earliest. All sports will be cancelled. Small liberal arts colleges will go bankrupt. We ain't seen nothing yet.

RE: Stanford students on campus - burger - 06-30-2020

(06-30-2020, 12:26 PM)JustAnotherFan Wrote:  The students will be sent home by Halloween and won't have undergraduates back on campus until after spring break at the earliest. All sports will be cancelled. Small liberal arts colleges will go bankrupt. We ain't seen nothing yet.

The total number of college students in the US has been on the downswing, and running a college isn't cheap.  Even before covid, that led to predictions that a large numbers of colleges would close: https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelhorn/2018/12/13/will-half-of-all-colleges-really-close-in-the-next-decade/#75f59fb652e5  That timeline is surely going to accelerate now.