The CardBoard
Introductions - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Introductions (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Re: Welcome, new posters! - garvin - 09-13-2013

Quote:Remember I have a window into its brain.

So it lets you think.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - jbeyda - 09-13-2013

Hello all,

My name is Joey. I've been a longtime observer, but figured I'd finally jump into the fray. Though I'm a current Stanford student, I like to think of myself as a seasoned fan; I grew up around Stanford football, and have been to the last 15 Big Games and 2 Rose Bowls (though I know many of you have an even more impressive track record!). Look forward to joining the community!

You may recognize my name/username from The Daily site. Not trying to hide anything here -- I'm actually the Daily football editor this volume. Really appreciate all the love you guys give our work, and please let me know if you have any questions about our coverage.

Now for the important question: how do I achieve "Daily editor" status?  ;)

hiya joey. - Ferris_Bueller - 09-13-2013

(09-13-2013, 08:51 AM)jbeyda link Wrote:Now for the important question: how do I achieve "Daily editor" status?  ;)

might wanna read between the lines here:
http://thecardboard.org/board/index.php?action=mlist;sort=posts;desc;start=60

as the table shows you'll be promoted to Daily Editor on achieving your 250th post, then fired 250 tries later.

honorable heathens never grow up.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Leftcoast - 09-13-2013

Shouldn't there be an exception if YOU ACTUALLY ARE an editor of the Daily?

No. Then we'd have to make all the real Dollies on the board Dollies, too.

But anyway, jebeyda, welcome aboard. A number of us worked at the Daily back in the day. Maybe one day we'll all meet for a beer and share our memories of the Storke Building.

Oh, wait....

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Leftcoast - 09-13-2013

Yeah .... Stephen Breyer would want to be a Supreme Court justice and Sergey Brin would demand to be a Tech Mogul.  Garvin would want to handle the interviews vetting the Dollies' authenticity which could get complicated.

Guess you'll have to earn it the hard way Joseph, but welcome aboard.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - fullmetal - 09-13-2013

Woohoo for young blood :)  Welcome on to the Cardboard jbeyda!

Re: Welcome, new posters! - jbeyda - 09-13-2013

Thanks all! Seems like I'm in great company.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Kathy - 09-13-2013

Editors are always welcome!

Re: Welcome, new posters! - SUBuddha - 09-14-2013

Hello all-

My name is Jim, I, like Marty, am a refugee from the ESPN boards. Joined those in '02, and they were my lifeline to LSJU sports while I lived and taught in Australia in 2004. I am a 4th generation alum, and member of the class of '94 (my sister was class of '84 and at the play as well). I am currently an assistant professor of practice in Family Studies and Human Development at the University of Arizona and the Coordinator of Online Programs for the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. I am married to an NAU grad, and have a 4.5 and 2 y/o I am hoping will be the 5th generation on the Farm.

For background, I played lacrosse and rugby while a student and I lived in LAG freshman year, Suites sophomore, off campus Jr. and 567 Stanford Ave (Sigma Nu unofficial house) Sr. I am a part of the Green/Walsh II era, but have been a fan all my life. I will openly admit my strong dislike for all things UW. Growing up in Seattle during the Dirty Don James era as a Stanford fan was not at all pleasant (could have been my Stanford Indians license plate frame).

A couple of my fondest football related memories are the play II in 1990, the hit Lynch put on Betis in Notre Dame in '92, and the demolition of Penn State in the 1993 Holiday bowl. Taking my dad to his first Rose Bowl (I went in 2000 too) last year, and having a chance for him to go sideline and meet D-Shaw at a U of A game 2 years ago have been my highlights as an alum.

I have been exploring the board, and want to thank 01grad for pointing me here.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - garvin - 09-14-2013

Fourth generation! Welcome, SUBuddha.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - martyup - 09-14-2013

[quote author=SUBuddha link=topic=4543.msg67903#msg67903 date=1379165481]
Hello all-

Hey Buddha, good to see a familiar name in here.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - martyup - 09-14-2013

I couldn't find an explanation of how the point system for posts works.  Can you explain it?

Re: Welcome, new posters! - garvin - 09-14-2013

Do you mean, how does somebody get the number of posts to become, say, a band member, or a Daily editor? There are no points involved, just the number of posts. One equals one. Remember, we have 59er lurkers here. We couldn't make it too complicated.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - CompSci87 - 09-14-2013

(09-14-2013, 07:54 PM)martyup link Wrote:I couldn't find an explanation of how the point system for posts works.  Can you explain it?

If you mean, where do the + or - points on each post come from -- after you've made some minimum number of posts, you reach a level where there are up and down arrows on each post that you can click on. Up adds a point to the post; down subtracts one. The arrows also add or subtract 1 from the "respect" points of the poster.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - SUBuddha - 09-15-2013

How long does one have to do the capcha and questions before posting eases up?

NM apparently I reached it on that post :)

Re: Welcome, new posters! - martyup - 09-18-2013

(09-14-2013, 08:45 PM)garvin link Wrote:Do you mean, how does somebody get the number of posts to become, say, a band member, or a Daily editor? There are no points involved, just the number of posts. One equals one. Remember, we have 59er lurkers here. We couldn't make it too complicated.

Actually, I was asking about the respect points.  How does that work?  I haven't seen a "like" button on posts.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - garvin - 09-18-2013

Respect points for a given post are added or subtracted by the little up-and-down arrows on the right side of the screen when you open a post. The software keeps track of the totals for each poster. This is another reason you don't want to annoy the software with niggling complaints about the auto-replace function. On a whim, it can reduce you to the status of Down So Far That Joe Kapp Looks Like Up To Me. 

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Nan3cy - 09-18-2013

I'm using Firefox and the arrows have always appeared.