The CardBoard
Introductions - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Introductions (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Re: Welcome, new posters! - garvin - 09-18-2013

I'll have to defer to the CardBoard Nerd Herd* on this one.

*Loving allusion to best Stanford-oriented TV show of all time, Chuck.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - admin - 09-18-2013

Hi Marty, I just checked (and reset) the settings on respect voting. Your arrows will appear when you post a couple more times. I set a minimum post for voting to prevent spammers from voting up their spam.

For everyone else, I've raised the ceiling on hidden posts. You should also be able to adjust the settings in your own profiles so that "bad" posts remain visible. It's the very last item on the Modify Profile screen, which is found under the Profile item in the menu.

"Voted posts: What to do with posts scoring -10 or less?" has a pull down menu. Select "Grey them out" or "Do nothing."

Re: Welcome, new posters! - martyup - 09-18-2013

(09-18-2013, 02:03 PM)Administrator link Wrote:Hi Marty, I just checked (and reset) the settings on respect voting. Your arrows will appear when you post a couple more times. I set a minimum post for voting to prevent spammers from voting up their spam.

For everyone else, I've raised the ceiling on hidden posts. You should also be able to adjust the settings in your own profiles so that "bad" posts remain visible. It's the very last item on the Modify Profile screen, which is found under the Profile item in the menu.

"Voted posts: What to do with posts scoring -10 or less?" has a pull down menu. Select "Grey them out" or "Do nothing."

Thanks. I now see the up and down arrows.  Hooray!

Re: Welcome, new posters! - jbeyda - 09-19-2013

(09-18-2013, 01:09 PM)garvin link Wrote:I'll have to defer to the CardBoard Nerd Herd* on this one.

*Loving allusion to best Stanford-oriented TV show of all time, Chuck.

Loved that show! Except the episode at "Stanford" was actually filmed at UCLA, I believe. Would've been so cool if they actually flew up to the Farm for filming!

Re: Welcome, new posters! - garvin - 09-19-2013

That indeed was UCLA. But they had an aerial establishing shot of the real Stanford football stadium, the one where Ernie Nevers, Jim Plunkett and johnnyo55 played, even though it had been gone two or three years at that point.

What I really loved about that episode was the premise that practically everybody at Stanford -- professors, students, Tresidder steam-table ladies -- worked for the CIA.  That would have been the only thing that could have improved my Stanford experience.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - jbeyda - 09-19-2013

The best thing about that was a group of my dorm mates and I were introduced to the show freshman year, when we had a super-genius Russian professor for one of our math classes. We were convinced he was KGB from then on out.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - garvin - 09-19-2013

Something I wrote on Chuck and and the Stanford-59ers television war, back in the day.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/changing_channels/2007/08/with-the-start-.html#comments

Re: Welcome, new posters! - twgin - 09-29-2013

Seems like I've been lurking here forever; I signed up the other day and figured I should introduce myself.  My family has has season tickets since my high school days; we currently hold down four seats is section 135.  Dad is a San Jose State alum but always loved Stanford football.  It was easier to get in back in 1972 when I graduated high school; my bragging about my SAT scores lasted about 5 minutes after I arrived on campus.  I lived at Lagunita Court (Adelfa) freshman year, Sigma Chi for a few years, a year in graduate housing somehow.  Graduated in 1977 co term with a Bachelors/Masters in Mech. E.

I recall one year the bros organized a trip to Memorial Stadium a few nights before the Big Game; we hauled several hundred pounds of salt across the bay and salted "BEAT CAL" in block letters on the field.  Imagine this, no fence around the stadium, no security, we waltzed in, did the dirty deed (which took over an hour) and fled back to the safety of Palo Alto.  A different time.  It actually worked pretty well; a friend of mine took me up in a Cessna to get pictures of the stadium; my aerial shot of Memorial Stadium made it into the yearbook that year.

The idea that didn't work out was covering visitor's seating in Stanford Stadium with bird seed (same deal, several hundred pounds of bird seed, no fence, no security, just didn't have to drive to Berkeley).  This was about a week before USC was coming to town and we figured they would be sitting in a good inch of guano.  Apparently the birds never figured out where all that bird seed was as come game day the wooden benches were pristine.  I never have figured out what went wrong, maybe birds follow the old adage "dont s___ where you eat".

After graduating I went overseas for a few years and then ended up in SoCal, to the Central Valley in 1991 when my attendance at the games picked up.  For a few of the Monty years the wife and I were into Men's basketball and had season tickets at Maples, what a blast that was.  The long drive finally got to us (2 1/2 hours each way for a two hour basketball game in the evening) and we gave those up.  These days its up to Stanford several hours before game time for tailgating in the grove between the stadium and El Camino Real with various family and friends; I don't think I've missed a home game in a couple of years.  My son and I got to El Paso for the Sun Bowl, if Luck would have played we would have won that game hands down.  Spent New Years this year in Pasadena for that most satisfying win !

Anyway, great board here, greetings to all, Go Stanford !

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Leftcoast - 09-29-2013

Welcome TWGin.  Glad to have a long time fan on board.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - garvin - 09-30-2013

Hey, twgin, we were neighbors back in 1972-73, when I was living in Roble. We perhaps even shared a Sunday-breakfast table, since Roble had no weekend food service and everybody went over to Lag to eat. I was the guy always hogging the English muffins.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Kathy - 09-30-2013

Hey, twgin, we were next-door neighbors in your Sigma Chi years. Storey House girl here ...

Re: Welcome, new posters! - GaryT - 09-30-2013

Welcome, twgin. We're section-mates in 135  [Row T].

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Trevmiesterj - 10-01-2013

Hello to the best fans in the Bay Area and maybe the world,

I have always been a forum lurker and for some reason never considered this forum.  Stoked to be here and learn knowledge as it pertains the mighty Cardinal.

Back history is I grew up in Palo Alto, went to Paly, and played on the campus in my youth.  My Dad worked at Stanford Press, Mom was a teacher in the PA school district and both of them still live in the same house I grew up in off Newell.  I ended up at Chico State, married my college sweetheart and found myself in Idaho in 1991.  I have grown to love this state and even surrounded by countless Ducks, Huskies and Broncos Stanford Athletics have always been the one I root for.  I am currently passing on the love to my 10 year old son.

In my youth Stanford games were a fall ritual and I can recall when the beer trailers used to roll up to the north side of the stadium and give out free suds to me and my 16 year old buddies.  I developed a deep hatred of USC fans sitting in the end zone when they would loudly exclaim "There goes the Rose Bowl" if Stanford got any sizable lead.  Of course in those days no lead lasted against Southern Cal and many a defeat was experienced.

My favorite player ever was James Lofton who I meet during his years at Stanford when I was young-quiet but very nice guy.  Even though he was a recent player, I loved watching Toby Gerhart run the football-the bruising power of that man was just awesome.

I hope to contribute when I can and even if I don't have something to say I will lurk and spread the knowledge to my many smug Oregon Duck buddies.

All Right Now! and let's Go Cardinal!

Re: Welcome, new posters! - garvin - 10-02-2013

Welcome aboard, Trevmiesterj. Having historical knowledge of Stanford football is great. But you also have to develop strong and informed opinions on the Civil War, serial commas, the cause of Uma Thurman's giant nose, and whether Go was invented by the Chinese or the Japanese. (Special points for boldness if you hold out for Koreans or Vietnamese.) When in doubt -- about anything at all -- trashing Alabama, which sets off Redrum for days at a time, is always a good diversionary tactic.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Trevmiesterj - 10-03-2013

(10-02-2013, 07:26 AM)garvin link Wrote:Welcome aboard, Trevmiesterj. Having historical knowledge of Stanford football is great. But you also have to develop strong and informed opinions on the Civil War, serial commas, the cause of Uma Thurman's giant nose, and whether Go was invented by the Chinese or the Japanese. (Special points for boldness if you hold out for Koreans or Vietnamese.) When in doubt -- about anything at all -- trashing Alabama, which sets off Redrum for days at a time, is always a good diversionary tactic.

The Civil War?  Isn't that where the Ducks eat their way through a gigantic burrito filled with Beefer?  I have a giant nose so frankly, I consider Uma's schnoz graceful and elegant. 

I will straight up say I have never played Go so I cannot speak to it's origins.  I do however play Ticket to Ride quite often.

My thoughts about Alabama, well, that will have to wait for another day...

Re: Welcome, new posters! - CompSci87 - 10-03-2013

My older brother was once the guest of the Chinese Go federation on a tour of China in recognition of his help in clarifying the Ko rule. I don't know if he has an opinion on who invented the game, though.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - yvonne - 10-03-2013

Do people still play Go outside Tressider?

Re: Welcome, new posters! - stupac2 - 10-04-2013

(10-03-2013, 10:42 PM)Yvonne link Wrote:Do people still play Go outside Tressider?

I never saw it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - martyup - 10-22-2013

Can someone please explain the meaning of "Low APR U". 

Re: Welcome, new posters! - martyup - 10-22-2013

Also, what's the deal with "hidden" users?  Could Tyrone Willingham be lurking?