The CardBoard
Introductions - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Introductions (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Thanks, Yvonne! - Mick - 12-19-2013

And I understand where you're coming from with respect to attitudes in the east, which I believe are similar at the other Ivies.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - BostonCard - 12-20-2013

(12-18-2013, 11:18 PM)CompSci87 link Wrote:[quote author=joshuamarkgalanter link=topic=4543.msg78842#msg78842 date=1387422747]
I'm a physician who went to Stanford, and then went to the Stanford of the East for medical school, hence the name.  I know a number of posters from other boards.

Boston Card

You can set the displayed name in your profile to Boston Card if you want. (Or maybe it has to be BostonCard -- I am not sure if spaces are allowed.)
[/quote]

Finally got it fixed... I don't really mind people knowing my real name... but I post under Boston Card elsewhere, so it makes sense to keep the name.

BC

Re: Welcome, new posters! - martyup - 12-31-2013

I'm gradually learning the "rules" of this board.  Can someone please explain/define the term "woofing."  What are the unwritten rules on this board with regards to "woofing?"

Re: Welcome, new posters! - PrinceLightfoot - 12-31-2013

Woofing as I understand it is when you disrespect the opponent. Starting a thread such as "Rose Bowl: Dominating MSU Game Thread" or saying "That score was so easy! We are going to run these chumps right out of the stadium" after the first score of the game is frowned upon because of superstition and it reeks of insolency.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - yvonne - 12-31-2013

Oliver's Woofing Theorem
http://wilson.engr.wisc.edu/rsfc/Woof.html

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Leftcoast - 12-31-2013

So, posting "Michigan State SUX!" is woofing according to The Oliver Weauxing Theorem and, more importantly, frowned on around here for its low signal-noise ratio.  However, saying, "Michigan State is unlikely to win because their offense won't be able to run against Stanford's front seven nor do they have the blocking to slow down Murphy when he blitzes", whether an opinion or fact is fair play - neither woofing nor low signal.

I'm more forgiving of the gameday thread titles 'cuz the rules should be a little laxer during a game and allow for the ebb and flow of emotions during with game flow.  "We're unstoppable tonight!"  Is acceptable when Hogan hits Montgomery for his third TD but would be a woof prior to the game. 

Opinions vary on this though .....

Re: Welcome, new posters! - martyup - 01-01-2014

Thank you for the education.  I feel that I am now ready for my Woofing final exam.  AND, I AM GOING TO KICK THAT TEST'S SORRY LITTLE ASS!

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Papa John - 01-03-2014

I already posted elsewhere on the board about 1.5 hours ago. I'm Stanford AB/BS class of '85, lived in Serra House (Stern Hall) first two years: very bad draw
Roble year three: good draw
Off-campus years four and five

I attended grad school at UCLA where I met the woman who would become (and still is) my spouse.

I became a first-time dad at the age of 43 and shortly thereafter a co-worker started calling me Papa John (my first name really is John).

After 15 years in Los Angeles, I live and work in the Santa Barbara area. I still refer to myself as "a refugee from LA."

One other thing: although my wife went to UCLA, her entire family consists of Cal alums (grandfather, uncle, brother) or big-time fans. And they've infected my son.

I already posted elsewhere on the board about 1.5 hours ago. I'm Stanford AB/BS class of '85, lived in Serra House (Stern Hall) first two years: very bad draw
Off-campus years four and five

I attended grad school at UCLA where I met the woman who would become (and still is) my spouse.

I became a first-time dad at the age of 43 and shortly thereafter a co-worker started calling me Papa John (my first name really is John).

After 15 years in Los Angeles, I live and work in the Santa Barbara area. I still refer to myself as "a refugee from LA."

One other thing: although my wife went to UCLA, her entire family consists of Cal alums (grandfather, uncle, brother) or big-time fans. And they've infected my son.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Robbie - 01-03-2014

(01-03-2014, 04:38 PM)Papa John link Wrote:I already posted elsewhere on the board about 1.5 hours ago. I'm Stanford AB/BS class of '85, lived in Serra House (Stern Hall) first two years: very bad draw

One other thing: although my wife went to UCLA, her entire family consists of Low APR U alums (grandfather, uncle, brother) or big-time fans. And they've infected my son.

We must have been in Roble the same year. I was in 3A.

And my wife's family is all Berkeley people (her grandfather was a professor.) But they don't give a damn about sports.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Robbie - 01-03-2014

(01-03-2014, 04:38 PM)Papa John link Wrote:I already posted elsewhere on the board about 1.5 hours ago. I'm Stanford AB/BS class of '85, lived in Serra House (Stern Hall) first two years: very bad draw

One other thing: although my wife went to UCLA, her entire family consists of Low APR U alums (grandfather, uncle, brother) or big-time fans. And they've infected my son.

We must have been in Roble the same year. I was in 3A.

And my wife's family is all Berkeley people (her grandfather was a professor.) But they don't give a damn about sports.

I lived on the second floor (I think) in something called the Bible Suite. It was 1982-83, the year that Lake Lag almost overflowed.

I lived on the second floor (I think) in something called the Bible Suite. It was 1982-83, the year that Lake Lag almost overflowed.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - yvonne - 01-03-2014

Well, that won't happen anymore.  :(

Re: Welcome, new posters! - yvonne - 01-03-2014

Well, that won't happen anymore.  :(

Re: Welcome, new posters! - garvin - 01-04-2014

Roble's Bible Suite is on the third floor, in the three-center corridor. It's called the Bible Suite because it consists of two half-size rooms and a bathroom -- Matthew, Mark and John. Supposedly, once upon a time, it housed the dorm maids. I lived down the hall from 1972 to 1975. Glad to have another Roble alum aboard.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - garvin - 01-04-2014

Roble's Bible Suite is on the third floor, in the three-center corridor. It's called the Bible Suite because it consists of two half-size rooms and a bathroom -- Matthew, Mark and John. Supposedly, once upon a time, it housed the dorm maids. I lived down the hall from 1972 to 1975. Glad to have another Roble alum aboard.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - stupac2 - 01-04-2014

Roble is the best, I was always super sad that I couldn't get back there after my freshman year.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - stupac2 - 01-04-2014

Roble is the best, I was always super sad that I couldn't get back there after my freshman year.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Papa John - 01-04-2014

The Bible Suite was third floor? OK, then, Robbie and I must have been near neighbors. My RA's name was Cecilia, if that helps. And Robbie, please don't tell me that you were the guy who blasted Elvis Costello's "My Aim is True" every Sunday morning. Great song, but not at 7 a.m. on Sunday.