The CardBoard
Introductions - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Introductions (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Papa John - 01-04-2014

The Bible Suite was third floor? OK, then, Robbie and I must have been near neighbors. My RA's name was Cecilia, if that helps. And Robbie, please don't tell me that you were the guy who blasted Elvis Costello's "My Aim is True" every Sunday morning. Great song, but not at 7 a.m. on Sunday.

FrankO in a capsule - FrankO - 01-09-2014

- longtime bootleg subscriber dating back to original mimeo sheet and weekly fax
- used to read and post on the Cardboard a long time ago in it's original format... but lost my password... read it back when Garvin was in Costa Rica or some such Central American Banana Republic... just now re-registered with new password here
- have always savored Garvin's writing/insights/politics, terry2's stats, and Hulk's tidbits on the AD and recruits, plus his Marketing guru-ness (have all his 5 books)
- See Teejers during the summer at swim meets... his kids swim for University, my grandkids for Foothills (that dates me)
- used to see Terry2, Teejers, Bobbk, and others on the rail before the Fort was built and the redcoats took over policing the area
- have attended every Big Game starting 1963 (the one postponed a week after JFK was shot... and the first time the Arthur Barnes version of the National Anthem was played)
- Aerospace Engineer, later executive; MIT'63 undergrad, Stanford Grad, both degrees in Mechanical Engineering, retired in 2002 but consulted several years thereafter, until we acquired the Aerospace company we were targeting
- my obnoxious cousin went to the University of South Bend... which I associate with obnoxiousness, complete with echos and tradition... he never found the beach they speak of
- live in Los Altos, was once a City Councilman and Mayor... that and $2.50 gets you a coffee at Starbucks
- My wife a retired schoolteacher (Jr Hi English), 2 daughters and 6 grandkids... my Stanford daughter and Son-in-Law (both '94) live in Los Altos; my Oregon Duck daughter and her 3 kids live in Austin TX...

FrankO in a capsule - FrankO - 01-09-2014

- longtime bootleg subscriber dating back to original mimeo sheet and weekly fax
- used to read and post on the Cardboard a long time ago in it's original format... but lost my password... read it back when Garvin was in Costa Rica or some such Central American Banana Republic... just now re-registered with new password here
- have always savored Garvin's writing/insights/politics, terry2's stats, and Hulk's tidbits on the AD and recruits, plus his Marketing guru-ness (have all his 5 books)
- See Teejers during the summer at swim meets... his kids swim for University, my grandkids for Foothills (that dates me)
- used to see Terry2, Teejers, Bobbk, and others on the rail before the Fort was built and the redcoats took over policing the area
- have attended every Big Game starting 1963 (the one postponed a week after JFK was shot... and the first time the Arthur Barnes version of the National Anthem was played)
- Aerospace Engineer, later executive; MIT'63 undergrad, Stanford Grad, both degrees in Mechanical Engineering, retired in 2002 but consulted several years thereafter, until we acquired the Aerospace company we were targeting
- my obnoxious cousin went to the University of South Bend... which I associate with obnoxiousness, complete with echos and tradition... he never found the beach they speak of
- live in Los Altos, was once a City Councilman and Mayor... that and $2.50 gets you a coffee at Starbucks
- My wife a retired schoolteacher (Jr Hi English), 2 daughters and 6 grandkids... my Stanford daughter and Son-in-Law (both '94) live in Los Altos; my Oregon Duck daughter and her 3 kids live in Austin TX...

Frank! - BostonCard - 01-09-2014

I wonder how many more Bootleg refugees we are going to get.  Every time I visit, I get the feeling that I'm watching the movie Sixth Sense.

Cole Sear: I see dead people.
Malcolm Crowe: In your dreams?
[Cole shakes his head no]
Malcolm Crowe: While you're awake?
[Cole nods]
Malcolm Crowe: Dead people like, in graves? In coffins?
Cole Sear: Walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're dead.
Malcolm Crowe: How often do you see them?
Cole Sear: All the time. They're everywhere.

And no, that's no a comment on the median age on the message board; it just seems to me that they are in the midst of a death spiral.

Anyways, I just reconnected with the cardboard after lurking on and off (more off than on) for years.

BC

Frank! - BostonCard - 01-09-2014

I wonder how many more Bootleg refugees we are going to get.  Every time I visit, I get the feeling that I'm watching the movie Sixth Sense.

Cole Sear: I see dead people.
Malcolm Crowe: In your dreams?
[Cole shakes his head no]
Malcolm Crowe: While you're awake?
[Cole nods]
Malcolm Crowe: Dead people like, in graves? In coffins?
Cole Sear: Walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're dead.
Malcolm Crowe: How often do you see them?
Cole Sear: All the time. They're everywhere.

And no, that's no a comment on the median age on the message board; it just seems to me that they are in the midst of a death spiral.

Anyways, I just reconnected with the cardboard after lurking on and off (more off than on) for years.

BC

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Publius - 01-09-2014

What's with the Mass Exodus?  Did their site crash again?  When should we expect JohnnyO?

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Publius - 01-09-2014

What's with the Mass Exodus?  Did their site crash again?  When should we expect JohnnyO?

Re: Welcome, new posters! - BostonCard - 01-09-2014

Call more of a death spiral than a mass exodus.  People leave and the conversation stagnates, so more people leave, so the conversation stagnates more.  The site really hasn't been the same since Mike Eubanks left to join the Athletics Department, and it suffered another loss when Andy Drukarev "defected" for Scout.  Stanford's success in recent years has staved things off, but their attempted rebranding under Fox failed miserably (it made the healthcare.gov rollout look efficient and well executed).  The free board is dead.  The thunderdome is, well, the thunderdome, and the paid board offers very little value add for the money.  Most of the best stuff is the sort of recruiting analysis that Hulk does (i.e., it is user generated).  I halted my auto renewals last year, and haven't bothered re-upping since and for the most part haven't missed it.

BC

Re: Welcome, new posters! - BostonCard - 01-09-2014

Call more of a death spiral than a mass exodus.  People leave and the conversation stagnates, so more people leave, so the conversation stagnates more.  The site really hasn't been the same since Mike Eubanks left to join the Athletics Department, and it suffered another loss when Andy Drukarev "defected" for Scout.  Stanford's success in recent years has staved things off, but their attempted rebranding under Fox failed miserably (it made the healthcare.gov rollout look efficient and well executed).  The free board is dead.  The thunderdome is, well, the thunderdome, and the paid board offers very little value add for the money.  Most of the best stuff is the sort of recruiting analysis that Hulk does (i.e., it is user generated).  I halted my auto renewals last year, and haven't bothered re-upping since and for the most part haven't missed it.

BC

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Cowboy1 - 01-13-2014

There are about three posters on the Bootboard that are killing that site for me.  One is "all knowing" according to himself and never misses an opportunity to explain in great detail why Stanford, its coaches and players suck.  He will throw in a short line to say something positive on something trivial (Hogan sure has a nice voice) just so he can later point out that he did say something positive and to argue how fair he is.  The worst part is he has spawned followers that try to outdo his negativity.  And these are "Stanford fans."

Yes, all people's opinions are valid and should be encouraged.  Blah blah blah.  I just cannot stand to have any association with people who have such terrible outlooks on what is supposed to be essentially a hobby, and who insist on  sharing their miserable lives with everyone else.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Cowboy1 - 01-13-2014

There are about three posters on the Bootboard that are killing that site for me.  One is "all knowing" according to himself and never misses an opportunity to explain in great detail why Stanford, its coaches and players suck.  He will throw in a short line to say something positive on something trivial (Hogan sure has a nice voice) just so he can later point out that he did say something positive and to argue how fair he is.  The worst part is he has spawned followers that try to outdo his negativity.  And these are "Stanford fans."

Yes, all people's opinions are valid and should be encouraged.  Blah blah blah.  I just cannot stand to have any association with people who have such terrible outlooks on what is supposed to be essentially a hobby, and who insist on  sharing their miserable lives with everyone else.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - dabomb1227 - 01-16-2014

Just joined the Cardboard a few days ago, found it when I (and others) on the Bootleg were looking for Hulk and any insights he had on the Recruiting Process.

I am probably the oddest fan on this board as I am from the East Coast, did not attend Stanford and did not have any family attend Stanford.  Fell in love with the school as a child watching March Madness in the late 90s, early 00s as that was my only Stanford exposure on TV.  Unfortunately, the school rejected me both as an Undergraduate and Law Student, but fortunately I now have the Pac-12 Network and nationally broadcast games to watch Stanford both in basketball and football.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - yvonne - 01-16-2014

That's a cool story!

Re: Welcome, new posters! - PrinceLightfoot - 01-16-2014

Welcome to the Cardboard, dabomb1227. Glad to have you!

Re: Welcome, new posters! - garvin - 01-16-2014

Everybody makes mistakes, dabomb1227, even the Stanford admissions office. Welcome aboard!

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Nan3cy - 01-17-2014

Glad to have you, dabomb1227, but you'll have to go some to be the oddest poster on the Cardboard. (You do, however, have one of the most unusual "how I got to be a fan" stories.)  ;)

Re: Welcome, new posters! - jcbowman - 02-18-2014

I am John and live in Santa Barbara. I am one of the old ones, now 72. My wife and I graduated in '63. and our youngest son graduated in '95. I have loved Stanford sports since my freshman year, and go to as many games as time and money allow.

I have joined this illustrious group because I want a change from the Bootboard. Glad you are here.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - yvonne - 02-18-2014

Welcome, John. We can appreciate your insight.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - cmp - 02-18-2014

Just joined a few weeks ago; Stanford fan and season ticket holder since I attended Los Altos High School in the late 60s while my brother was doing his undergraduate and graduate work at Stanford; attended my 45th consecutive Big Game this year; attended Santa Clara and Boalt Hall after the admissions department correctly rejected my undergrad application and the law school joined suit 4 years later to my disgust.  Now live east of Sacramento but still attend all home games (can't miss the tailgates) and find myself here and there lurking multiple times a day on anything related to Stanford football.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - chimera - 02-18-2014

I've been posting about WBB on The Bootleg for many years, even wrote stuff for the site for a few years.  I am going to try to post here more.  The atmosphere is more conducive to nuanced discussion and seems like WBB gets attention from enough people for some interesting discussions to happen. :)