The CardBoard
Introductions - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Introductions (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Re: Welcome, new posters! - CTcard - 03-04-2014

I understand that to follow proper CARDboard etiquette I should introduce myself.

Been reading the board for many years - usually found it entertaining. Haven't posted because I was already wasting too much time posting on the Bootboard. Like some others, I'm a sort-of refugee from there looking for a better atmosphere.

I cheer for Stanford teams because they are Stanford, not necessarily because they are good or not. Will watch most any Stanford sport, but favorites are probably football and swimming.

I am a working physicist at a university that tends to compete with our women's basketball team at latter stages of the NCAA tournament (you should be able to figure that one out).

Graduated from Stanford a few times - the most relevant is likely the first one in 1986. I'm a paroled ex-LSJUMB - played tuba a lot, at Stanford and after, but only recreationally.

Grew up in the Great White North, lived in the Great Oven (Phoenix), and many points in between. Brother to akiddoc.

Agnostic on the Ink Bowl - for now.

Anything else?

Re: Welcome, new posters! - garvin - 03-04-2014

Welcome aboard! You and akiddoc are our Ogwumikes. Or, maybe, Lopi.

(03-04-2014, 11:57 AM)garvin link Wrote:Welcome aboard! You and akiddoc are our Ogwumikes. Or, maybe, Lopi.

Well, yes that - but a tad shorter.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - BostonCard - 03-04-2014

(03-04-2014, 12:14 PM)CTcard link Wrote:[quote author=garvin link=topic=4543.msg84844#msg84844 date=1393959446]
Welcome aboard! You and akiddoc are our Ogwumikes. Or, maybe, Lopi.

Well, yes that - but a tad shorter.
[/quote]

If akiddoc and ctcard are any evidence, we are certainly poaching quality out of the Bootboard.  Welcome CT; it is nice to see you (in print) again.  BTW, since the Connecticut physics community cannot be too large, you might know my friend Walter Goldberger, who is at the other well-known university in Connecticut (the one that doesn't have a particularly good basketball team).  We went to high school in Venezuela together.

BC

Re: Welcome, new posters! - stupac2 - 03-04-2014

(03-04-2014, 11:46 AM)CTcard link Wrote:I am a working physicist at a university that tends to compete with our women's basketball team at latter stages of the NCAA tournament (you should be able to figure that one out).

What field?

(03-04-2014, 12:22 PM)Boston Card link Wrote:BTW, since the Connecticut physics community cannot be too large, you might know my friend Walter Goldberger, who is at the other well-known university in Connecticut (the one that doesn't have a particularly good basketball team).  We went to high school in Venezuela together.

BC

I don't really know him.

I looked him up and see we are at rather opposite ends of the physics spectrum - I do experiments on materials (condensed matter physics); he does particle theory (quarks and all that). So in general we wouldn't be at the same technical meetings. Maybe cross paths at some more local science event.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Nan3cy - 03-04-2014

Welcome, CTCard. Tuba players are always welcome. (We sat behind the band at Saturday night's WBB game, and it seemed as if the tuba players were having a great time. My ears rang for quite a while...)

Re: Welcome, new posters! - BostonCard - 03-04-2014

(03-04-2014, 07:52 PM)Nan3cy link Wrote:Welcome, CTCard. Tuba players are always welcome. (We sat behind the band at Saturday night's WBB game, and it seemed as if the tuba players were having a great time. My ears rang for quite a while...)

Ummm, aren't they sousaphones?

BC

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Nan3cy - 03-05-2014

Okay, sousaphones. My instruments back when were the piano and guitar, both of which were difficult to play in a marching band - so I never learrned the difference between tuba and sousaphone till just now. That's why I spend so much time hanging around here - it's so educational.  :)

Re: Welcome, new posters! - CTcard - 03-05-2014

(03-04-2014, 09:50 PM)Boston Card link Wrote:Ummm, aren't they sousaphones?

BC

Sousaphone = subcategory of tuba

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Mikeferrari - 05-29-2014

Just saw this.  I am the least successful two-time Stanford grad of all time (you could look it up.). BA in Anthropology in 1969 and MBA in '71.  Still trying to find applications for my Anthro degree, but do mention it on all applications, which may correlate with sentence number two proceeding.  Married for 45 years now to the same woman, two children, four grandchildren.

High school All American swimmer who was promptly swallowed by the most talented freshman swimming class in history (but it was fun going down.). Cedro House, Wilbur Hall, ATO HOUSE, Stanford in Italy, Escondido Village as a grad student.  No idea why I was accepted to Stanford, less of an idea why I was accepted to GSB, with a fellowship, no less.  Old enough to remember the joke about the golf shoe and your IBM card?  Thats me.

Homeless, sort of, in Palm Desert, but still an avid fan of Stanford Indian . . .er . . . Cardinal football.  Currently owed by an increasingly beautiful wife and a little white dog.  On the waiting list for Greeter at Walmart but its not looking good.  Over-qualified.

Good night now.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Publius - 05-30-2014

(05-29-2014, 08:48 PM)ferrari link Wrote:Just saw this.  I am the least successful two-time Stanford grad of all time (you could look it up.). BA in Anthropology in 1869 and MBA in '71. 

If you graduated college in 1869 and are still alive, I would consider you the most successful human being alive.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Mikeferrari - 05-30-2014

(05-30-2014, 06:27 AM)Publius link Wrote:[quote author=ferrari link=topic=4543.msg90360#msg90360 date=1401421694]
Just saw this.  I am the least successful two-time Stanford grad of all time (you could look it up.). BA in Anthropology in 1869 and MBA in '71. 

If you graduated college in 1869 and are still alive, I would consider you the most successful human being alive.
[/quote]

Okay, successful at ONE thing.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - SamAtoms1980 - 05-30-2014

Graduating from Stanford before it was even founded, now those mad skillz would make even Marty McFly and Doc Brown turn green.

Re: Introductions - titantwin - 11-26-2014

Hi all,

I am from Melbourne Australia and found the site after looking at some information about a recent recruit you have signed for WBB - Alanna Smith. We are keen to see her do well with the Cardinal next season and will be supporting her and the team from Down Under.

Hope to converse with some of you in the near future.

Go Stanford!

Re: Introductions - yvonne - 11-26-2014

Welcome, Titantwin!

Re: Introductions - BostonCard - 11-27-2014

Hey Titan...
I'm very fond of Melbourne, as my parents lived there for three years (Black Rock, to be precise).  We're excited to have Alana join us for the next few years.  If you know of some footie players who might be a good addition to our American football team, that would be awesome.  Anyways, crack open a VB and some Tim tams.

BC

Re: Introductions - kuz - 11-27-2014

Hey, I'm a Melbournian too!

(11-27-2014, 12:31 AM)Boston Card link Wrote:Hey Titan...
I'm very fond of Melbourne, as my parents lived there for three years (Black Rock, to be precise).  We're excited to have Alana join us for the next few years.  If you know of some footie players who might be a good addition to our American football team, that would be awesome.  Anyways, crack open a VB and some Tim tams.

BC
VB is disgusting - Melbourne Bitter would be my choice  ;) But I can't say anything negative about Tim Tams, other than that it's annoyingly difficult to find them in the US.

Re: Introductions - Publius - 11-28-2014

I thought those lager louts down under only drank Foster's.  ;)

Re: Introductions - kuz - 11-28-2014

(11-28-2014, 11:10 AM)Publius link Wrote:I thought those lager louts down under only drank Foster's.  ;)
The irony being that one can literally not find Fosters at most liquor stores in Australia. No one drinks it.