The CardBoard
Introductions - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Introductions (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Re: Welcome new posters! - Robbie - 09-28-2011

3A twice - first in a triple as a sophomore, then in the Pink Floyd room. (There was a mural on the wall of the Dark Side of the Moon album cover. Albums were circular pieces of plastic that were able to play music when scratched with a needle.)

Re: Welcome new posters! - garvin - 09-28-2011

Was the mural new, or left over from a previous occupant? I don't think we had a Pink Floyd room in my day, but I don't believe "Dark Side Of The Moon" was issued on a 78 rpm.

Re: Welcome new posters! - Embo - 09-28-2011

Okay, I guess it's time to do my bio.  I'm hardly a new poster, though.

I'm Emory.  Attended my first Big Game in 1971, though I was in HS at the time.  I've told this story before, so I apologize to those who have heard it before; but it explains the whole nature of my Stanford allegiance.  I was in junior high when Jim Plunkett won the Voldemort and Stanford went to the Rose Bowl.  My brother was a HS senior and applying to colleges then.  Our family watched the Rose Bowl - it was the first time I had ever watched any football game at all in its entirety (I was a baseball fan only back then.)  Although I knew very little about football, the game really made an impression on me.  At the beginning of the game, NBC showed the starting player intros, with each player shown on his campus, telling his name, position, hometown, and major.  The Ohio State players were all dressed casually, and their majors were frequently "PE" or "General studies".  The Stanford players, on the other hand, were dressed in coats and ties, stood in front of the White Plaza fountain, and had real majors - "Econ", "Poli Sci", "Sociology" and so on.  With that, I knew that Stanford was special.  As the game progressed, it was clear which side was more exciting, more innovative.  It was after that game that I started to do some research into Stanford (as a junior high student, no less!) and by the time I was a freshman in HS, I knew where I wanted to go.

BTW, I was at the Orange Bowl - I have worked hard enough in my life (I am a physician) that I now am treating myself to these extravagances, something I couldn't justify when I was a younger alum.  I got to the Sunlight Stadium early,went to the tailgate, and we walked all over the stadium.  I happened to see a man older than me wearing a Stanford football jersey that was white, cotton, with sewn-on letters and the cardinal stripe on the sleeve.  The name said, "Shockley".  I recognized it as being from the 1972 Rose Bowl.    He was Hillary Shockley, and I started teilling him my story as a 13 year old.  He called over his buddy, Jackie Brown, another member of the 1971-2 Rose Bowl team, for him to hear the story as well.  I told them they were both responsible for my attending Stanford.  That was terrific - as I said thanks, they both gave me a long and warm handshake.

I've been going to Big Games since 1971.  (Did miss 1974, my senior year in HS.  Boy, am I sorry I did.)  On Match Day, when I leared where I would do my residency, once I learned I would be in SF, my first thought was to contact someone who had just started getting season tickets (he was a resident who is also a Stanford grad) to tell him to get me one also. We've been season ticketholders since 1984.  We actually made it to the sunny side 49 yd line in the Old Lady (unfortunately, that was due to the wretched years of one Buddy, who caused many to cancel their tickets, hence our bump to better seats.)  We did something in 2009 we vowed we'd never do - move to the shady side (only because the team and students moved in 2008.)

Yes, these are fun times.  I have no idea how long it will last.    But I am enjoying every minute of it.

Re: Welcome new posters! - yvonne - 09-28-2011

Embo, is there a LSJUMB connection in there somewhere?

Re: Welcome new posters! - Pastor - 09-28-2011

Embo expresses it eloquently.  I never thought (I know you felt that way as well Garvin) that we would ever play men's baskerball at a high level.  Then came Montogmery but in that sport, there is only a little recruiting yet Monty did an unbeliveable job (what he did later is unspeakable).  We were mired in football hell (not even mediocrity).  How many friends have told us, sure the Directors' cup...no big deal.  Then came Harbaugh who did the most incredible job.  He eclipsed even the great Bill Walsh.  It is a magical time.  And the best thing is that we can punish kal, USC, Washington and the others.

I admit to feeling silly and a little shallow about this football success (instead of writing about our Nobelists) but it is amazing how much attention this run has generated.  The irony is, of course, that in other sports we have their like...Tara, Skip Kenney, and so many others.

So yes, these are the good old days.  It is an honor and privelege to attend Stanford.

Re: Welcome new posters! - GaryT - 09-28-2011

Class of 1983, native Pennsylvanian, Bay Area resident (currently Half Moon Bay) since 1979. I've attended every Big Game since my arrival on the Farm in 1979, and I've been a football season-ticket holder since the late 1980's.  I have many great Stanford football memories, but the Orange Bowl this year was likely the most fun sports event I've ever attended, and especially sweet after having endured the two regimes prior to Jim Harbaugh's tenure.  As far as other sports, I love attending games in Sunken Diamond (which I do too infrequently), and I had the good fortune to be 2 rows behind the basket when Nick Robinson bombed Arizona. I infrequently post on the Cardboard, but I've been a reader/lurker for many years.  No one covers Stanford WBB and Women's Soccer better than my friend VikingGuy.

Re: Welcome new posters! - czaja - 09-28-2011

I suppose it's about time to leave behind my lurking status and come out into the light.

It seems like I'm a relative baby compared to many on this board even though I'm now in my 30s.  I grew up on the East Coast, but I moved across the country for college because Stanford offered the best combination of academics and major college sports.  I applied without ever visiting the campus, and when I did visit during ProFro weekend, it was an extremely easy decision to move west.  While I was not a 5 star recruit that could help out any of the sports teams, I believe that my presence in the stands was a key factor in both our 1998 Final Four run and the 2000 Rose Bowl berth.  There aren't too many places that someone can attend school and have both of those events occur during your undergrad years. 

After graduation, I worked in Silicon Valley for a few years as a software engineer, but then I decided to move away to go to law school.  I've been back in the Bay Area for 5+ years now, and I don't plan on leaving again any time soon.

I found this board a couple of years ago when I was looking for what other Stanford fans had to say about Gerhart and his run for the Voldemort. 

I mainly follow the football team and men's hoops team, but I'll watch some women's hoops from time to time as well (esp. around tourney time). 

My 2 quick sports thoughts -

1) The football team seems to be in good hands with Shaw.  I have an inkling that we'll go undefeated this year but get locked out of the title game by some combination of Oklahoma/LSU/Alabama.  We'll see.  All we can do is keep winning and let the chips fall where they may.

2) I can't believe Bowlsby gave Dawkins an extension before seeing what he could do with this year's team, and the current state of the hoops team depresses me in general.  If Dawkins doesn't at least get a 10/11 at-large bid for the tournament this year, I'll be screaming for his head. 

Re: Welcome new posters! - Leftcoast - 09-28-2011

Fun thread!

For those who don't know, GaryT is being modest.  He tried something my ex-roomate and fellow season ticketholder failed to attempt.

(09-28-2011, 08:13 PM)GaryT link Wrote:Class of 1983, native Pennsylvanian, Bay Area resident (currently Half Moon Bay) since 1979. I've attended every Big Game since my arrival on the Farm in 1979, and I've been a football season-ticket holder since the late 1980's.  I have many great Stanford football memories, but the Orange Bowl this year was likely the most fun sports event I've ever attended, and especially sweet after having endured the two regimes prior to Jim Harbaugh's tenure.  As far as other sports, I love attending games in Sunken Diamond (which I do too infrequently), and I had the good fortune to be 2 rows behind the basket when Nick Robinson bombed Arizona. I infrequently post on the Cardboard, but I've been a reader/lurker for many years.  No one covers Stanford WBB and Women's Soccer better than my friend VikingGuy.

So, what were you doing at Big Game 1982?

(09-28-2011, 08:50 PM)el mono link Wrote:I suppose it's about time to leave behind my lurking status and come out into the light.

¡Bienvenidos, Mono!

Re: Welcome new posters! - fullmetal - 09-28-2011

For those of you who didn't know, there was a Cardboard pre-Orange Bowl meetup held at a diner near the Clevelander organized by garvin that many of us attended.  We'll need to have another pre-game meetup before this season's bowl game :)

Re: Welcome new posters! - Robbie - 09-29-2011

(09-28-2011, 03:49 PM)garvin link Wrote:Was the mural new, or left over from a previous occupant? I don't think we had a Pink Floyd room in my day, but I don't believe "Dark Side Of The Moon" was issued on a 78 rpm.

I lived in the room 1984-85. It was a tradition that on the last day of the year that the leaving resident signed the poster. I believe mine was the eighth signature, which would mean the mural would have been painted around 1976 or 1977.

Re: Welcome new posters! - garvin - 09-29-2011

So -- could you have painted it out if you'd wanted to? THAT would have been a bold statement.

By the way, Roble renumbered its rooms sometime in the early 1980s. (To me, a sure sign Stanford had more money than it knew what to do with.) All room numbers had three digits when I lived there from 1971 to 1975.

Re: Welcome new posters! - CowboyIndian - 09-29-2011

I tried to live in Roble my freshman year, the gods know I tried....but those all-women, in-loco-parentis rules were pretty strict.

Re: Welcome new posters! - TreeFitty - 09-29-2011

I've been lurking for years, just recently decided to start posting here.

c/o 2006, lived in west lag, columbae, terra, and did a stint as a live-in member of the staff at The Bridge.

currently a phd student at a certain school in new jersey. despite that, i've gone to every Big Game since my freshman year and this november will be my 10th Big Game in a row. at stanford, i went to Big Game as a member of the LSJUMB, now I go every year with my best friend from college, a berkeley grad.

this board's great.

Re: Welcome new posters! - yvonne - 09-29-2011

When did you live in Terra?

Re: Welcome new posters! - TreeFitty - 09-29-2011

lived in Terra Spring 2005

Re: Welcome new posters! - yvonne - 09-29-2011

Ah, I lived there many generations before when Chet was there.
http://www.whitneyhq.com/Terra/chet.html

Re: Welcome new posters! - TreeFitty - 09-30-2011

Woah, thats pretty awesome. Yeah, by the time I got there we had a mural of a ramen package on the wall, which was great as well. Tell me something, when you were in Terra, was it the artsy/drama/gay and lesbian house on campus back then?

Re: Welcome new posters! - Fuzzy Dunlop - 09-30-2011

I guess I've been lurking long enough to make an account and post.  I'm an alumnus who fairly recently moved from the young alumni category to the not-so-young alumni.  My activities at Stanford were somewhat typical - to name a few, tour guide, frosh RA, Daily op-ed columnist for a bit, and even played in the LSJUMB for a couple years.  I watched a lot of tennis, basketball, and football.  I was sitting a couple rows up behind Tiger for the Nick Robinson shot, and I witnessed the Seattle Bowl season and football's subsequent descent into the depths of despair.  Watching the program's rise under Harbaugh has bordered on surreal.  My only regret is not living close enough to attend more than a game or so a year.  (But I did make it to the Orange Bowl because I figured it might be our only BCS bowl in my lifetime.  Here's to hoping this year is the second of many.)  And I lived in Branner and root for the Yankees.