The CardBoard
Introductions - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Introductions (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Re: Introductions - CornFed - 08-07-2015

Welcome, Bonesaw!  Robbie has given you a couple of great reference points for Stanford football.  Not ALL of our games are that exciting.  We actually win some games in a runaway.  But those examples are pretty representative of the Stanford football experience.  ::)

Re: Introductions - 82lsju - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 06:08 PM)CornFed link Wrote:Welcome, Bonesaw!  Robbie has given you a couple of great reference points for Stanford football.  Not ALL of our games are that exciting.  We actually win some games in a runaway.  But those examples are pretty representative of the Stanford football experience.  ::)

make that welcome 8onesaw  :)

Re: Introductions - BostonCard - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 06:26 PM)82lsju link Wrote:[quote author=CornFed link=topic=4543.msg123762#msg123762 date=1438996121]
Welcome, Bonesaw!  Robbie has given you a couple of great reference points for Stanford football.  Not ALL of our games are that exciting.  We actually win some games in a runaway.  But those examples are pretty representative of the Stanford football experience.  ::)

make that welcome 8onesaw  :)
[/quote]

Orthopedic surgeon?

(pulmonologist here)

BC

Re: Introductions - Spiny_Norman - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 03:24 PM)8onesaw link Wrote:Hey, I'm new to the board and actually new to Stanford athletics. I grew up a die-hard BYU fan and still follow them closely. I'm a fan of college football and have been looking for a second team to cheer for. I just started working for Stanford a few months ago, so I figured this was a great opportunity to jump on the bandwagon. I just got my season tickets. I'm excited for what looks to be a great home schedule this year.

Are there any videos or websites I should check out as a new fan? I've been watching old Stanford games on Youtube to pass the time over the summer.

Welcome, 8onesaw!  Are you working in one of the academic departments?

Let me add one of the great moments in Stanford basketball history.  Stanford and Arizona used to play some of the best games in the country.  The 2004 game at Stanford was the most memorable.  Stanford was #2 and 19-0.  Arizona was #12. 

Re: Introductions - 8onesaw - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 06:43 PM)Spiny_Norman link Wrote:[quote author=8onesaw link=topic=4543.msg123730#msg123730 date=1438986248]
Hey, I'm new to the board and actually new to Stanford athletics. I grew up a die-hard BYU fan and still follow them closely. I'm a fan of college football and have been looking for a second team to cheer for. I just started working for Stanford a few months ago, so I figured this was a great opportunity to jump on the bandwagon. I just got my season tickets. I'm excited for what looks to be a great home schedule this year.

Are there any videos or websites I should check out as a new fan? I've been watching old Stanford games on Youtube to pass the time over the summer.

Welcome, 8onesaw!  Are you working in one of the academic departments?

Let me add one of the great moments in Stanford basketball history.  Stanford and Arizona used to play some of the best games in the country.  The 2004 game at Stanford was the most memorable.  Stanford was #2 and 19-0.  Arizona was #12. 
[/quote]

I'm working at the Hoover Institution.

Thanks for these videos. I definitely plan on catching some basketball games as well. Do you guys have any pregame traditions worth checking out before the UCF game?

Re: Introductions - yvonne - 08-07-2015

The primary pregame tradition is the Walk.
http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=209614295

Re: Introductions - CTcard - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 06:35 PM)Boston Card link Wrote:Orthopedic surgeon?

(pulmonologist here)

And I had guessed he was referring to his dietary aberrations.

Re: Introductions - garvin - 08-09-2015

Quote:Do you guys have any pregame traditions worth checking out before the UCF game?

Yes. Start a long thread about how the coach's offensive play-calling shows suspicious evidence of congenital brain damage; lament the inadequacy of the quarterback* **; and announce in advance that any blown DB coverage is clearly the fault of the Admissions Office.

* Unless the quarterback is named Jim Plunkett.

** Or Andrew Luck.

As far as websites are concerned, you've already found the best one.

Re: Introductions - JohnR34231 - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 09:32 AM)garvin link Wrote:
Quote:Do you guys have any pregame traditions worth checking out before the UCF game?

Yes. Start a long thread about how the coach's offensive play-calling shows suspicious evidence of congenital brain damage; lament the inadequacy of the quarterback* **; and announce in advance that any blown DB coverage is clearly the fault of the Admissions Office.

** Or Andrew Luck.

Also, don't forget to mention that if you think things are bad this year, wait until the next couple. They will make Wlat and Buddy look good by comparison.

Re: Introductions - Mikeferrari - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 09:53 AM)JPRI link Wrote:[quote author=garvin link=topic=4543.msg123871#msg123871 date=1439137922]

** Or Andrew Luck.

Also, don't forget to mention that if you think things are bad this year, wait until the next couple. They will make Wlat and Buddy look good by comparison.
[/quote]

Finally, bone up on coffee, graphene, movies, music and, most importantly, the War of Northern Agression.

Re: Introductions - yvonne - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 10:35 AM)ferrari link Wrote:Finally, bone up on coffee, graphene, movies, music and, most importantly, the War of Northern Agression.

Insurrection against the U.S. government

Re: Introductions - JohnR34231 - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 10:50 AM)Yvonne link Wrote:[quote author=ferrari link=topic=4543.msg123875#msg123875 date=1439141746]

Finally, bone up on coffee, graphene, movies, music and, most importantly, the War of Northern Agression.

Insurrection against the U.S. government
[/quote]

Hey, the South was just defending their country against a foreign power headed by a tyrant bent on empire building.

It wasn't a country, and they fired the first shots. Enough with the revisionism.

See what I mean, 8bonesaw?  So much fun :)

Re: Introductions - washingtonismoney - 08-09-2015

I've always been amused by the number of people willing to defend one of the most barbarous civilizations in human history.

(08-09-2015, 12:35 PM)washingtonismoney link Wrote:I've always been amused by the number of people willing to defend one of the most barbarous civilizations in human history.

I don't seriously defend the South, and certainly not the "peculiar institution."  Mostly I take the Rebel side just in incite the conversation.  As for "one of the most barbarous civilizations in history, I assume your emotions got the better of you.  Every civilization that I can think of preceding The South, and some to this day, practiced slavery, including the U.S. Following the Civil War in some places.  It wasn't called slavery but it is hard to tell the difference when you look closely at the Philippines, the intercontinental railroad construction, Hawaiian sugar plantations, etc.  calling it Indenture probably made little difference to some of those indentured.  But mainly I just get a chuckle out of how defending the South results in immediate, passionate objection.

(08-09-2015, 01:18 PM)ferrari link Wrote:But mainly I just get a chuckle out of how defending the South results in immediate, passionate objection.

Shouldn't it?

(08-09-2015, 01:49 PM)Yvonne link Wrote:[quote author=ferrari link=topic=4543.msg123891#msg123891 date=1439151517]
But mainly I just get a chuckle out of how defending the South results in immediate, passionate objection.

Shouldn't it?
[/quote]

LOL

smh

Re: Introductions - garvin - 08-10-2015

Quote:I've always been amused by the number of people willing to defend one of the most barbarous civilizations in human history.

If you're talking about the Confederacy, not even close. Slavery, as awful as it was, cannot compare to Stalin's Soviet Union, Hitler's Germany, Mao's China or Pol Pot's Cambodia, all of which practice mass murder on a scale that defies imagination. Vlad Tepes impaled his enemies on stakes, by the tens of thousands, during his comparatively brief rule in Wallachia. Phoenicia and Carthage were notorious even their time for their widespread practice of child sacrifice. I'll leave the Mongols and the Aztecs to somebody with a more intimate knowledge of their history, but believe me, it wasn't pretty.