The CardBoard
Introductions - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Introductions (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Re: Introductions - CrazedZooChimp - 08-10-2015

(08-07-2015, 03:24 PM)8onesaw link Wrote:Hey, I'm new to the board and actually new to Stanford athletics. I grew up a die-hard BYU fan and still follow them closely. I'm a fan of college football and have been looking for a second team to cheer for. I just started working for Stanford a few months ago, so I figured this was a great opportunity to jump on the bandwagon. I just got my season tickets. I'm excited for what looks to be a great home schedule this year.

Are there any videos or websites I should check out as a new fan? I've been watching old Stanford games on Youtube to pass the time over the summer.

To help wrangle this back a little bit on track, let me offer some suggestions.

Check out the Stanford football Vimeo for highlights of games/seasons/offseasons from the past 4-5 years, they're awesome:  https://vimeo.com/stanfordfootball/videos/page:1/sort:date

For pregame, other than the walk, stroll through the tailgate area in the grove next to the stadium (Lot 2) and mooch off some tailgates (or start one), and get into the stadium early enough that you don't miss the LSJUMB's rendition of the national anthem (of course, it'll be better for the second game, UA, since the students will be back from break for that one).  I suppose you could also watch their pregame show, but as a former band member they're usually medicore, especially preseason :)

Re: Introductions - 8onesaw - 08-10-2015

(08-07-2015, 10:18 PM)CTcard link Wrote:[quote author=Boston Card link=topic=4543.msg123766#msg123766 date=1438997709]
Orthopedic surgeon?

(pulmonologist here)

And I had guessed he was referring to his dietary aberrations.
[/quote]

haha. I actually chose this name because I really like this scene.

Oh, and as for the south being the worst regime in human history, they were obviously dicks, but Vlad the Impaler and the gang make them look like Sesame Street.

Re: Introductions - washingtonismoney - 08-10-2015

"one of the most".

Re: Introductions - Mikeferrari - 08-10-2015

(08-10-2015, 01:24 PM)8onesaw link Wrote:[quote author=CTcard link=topic=4543.msg123782#msg123782 date=1439011134]
[quote author=Boston Card link=topic=4543.msg123766#msg123766 date=1438997709]
Orthopedic surgeon?

(pulmonologist here)

And I had guessed he was referring to his dietary aberrations.
[/quote]

haha. I actually chose this name because I really like this scene.

Oh, and as for the south being the worst regime in human history, they were obviously dicks, but Vlad the Impaler and the gang make them look like Sesame Street.
[/quote]

Well, in fairness to the much maligned Vlad, he mostly implied enemies.  Stalin killed million of his own people by simply starving them to death.  Human civilizations have always included evil, vicious rulers.  Rarely, if ever, has being nice to them improved them.

Re: Introductions - FarmBoy - 08-10-2015

Quote:Are there any videos or websites I should check out as a new fan? I've been watching old Stanford games on Youtube to pass the time over the summer.

Just make sure you ignore any bootlegged copies of the Stanford Band show during the Stanford-BYU football games. It didn't even make top 5 on the list of top 10 Stanford band most controversial moments, so it's not really worth paying attention to (it was only #6).

I often root for BYU. I appreciated the way they went into N.otre Dame in the early 90's and handed it to the Irish, to the shock of the TV announcers who opened the show with something like "These kids from BYU must feel like it's an honor just to be able to play in a place like this." Plus, Steve Young.

Re: Introductions - CowboyIndian - 08-10-2015

(08-10-2015, 01:39 PM)ferrari link Wrote:in fairness to the much maligned Vlad, he mostly implied enemies.

Of course, these implications often ended in torturous, agonizing death.

Re: Introductions - Spiny_Norman - 08-10-2015

(08-10-2015, 03:21 PM)CowboyIndian link Wrote:[quote author=ferrari link=topic=4543.msg123977#msg123977 date=1439239141]
in fairness to the much maligned Vlad, he mostly implied enemies.

[/quote]

Sounds like a creative Halloween costume.  Vlad the Implier.  Nudge nudge.  Wink wink.  Say no more.  Know what I mean?

(08-10-2015, 03:21 PM)CowboyIndian link Wrote:[quote author=ferrari link=topic=4543.msg123977#msg123977 date=1439239141]

[/quote]

How did I survive before autocheck?  Oh yeah, I remember.  Proofreading.

Re: Introductions - yvonne - 08-10-2015

(08-10-2015, 03:55 PM)Spiny_Norman link Wrote:[quote author=CowboyIndian link=topic=4543.msg123992#msg123992 date=1439245264]
[quote author=ferrari link=topic=4543.msg123977#msg123977 date=1439239141]

[/quote]

Sounds like a creative Halloween costume.  Vlad the Implier.  Nudge nudge.  Wink wink.  Say no more.  Know what I mean?
[/quote]

Nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat.

(08-10-2015, 04:06 PM)Yvonne link Wrote:[quote author=Spiny_Norman link=topic=4543.msg123996#msg123996 date=1439247304]
[quote author=CowboyIndian link=topic=4543.msg123992#msg123992 date=1439245264]
[quote author=ferrari link=topic=4543.msg123977#msg123977 date=1439239141]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat.
[/quote]

Actually, a bat is more likely to pick up a nod faster than a blink, but let's not quibble.

Re: Introductions - 8onesaw - 08-10-2015

(08-10-2015, 02:19 PM)FarmBoy link Wrote:
Quote:Are there any videos or websites I should check out as a new fan? I've been watching old Stanford games on Youtube to pass the time over the summer.

Just make sure you ignore any bootlegged copies of the Stanford Band show during the Stanford-BYU football games. It didn't even make top 5 on the list of top 10 Stanford band most controversial moments, so it's not really worth paying attention to (it was only #6).

I often root for BYU. I appreciated the way they went into N.otre Dame in the early 90's and handed it to the Irish, to the shock of the TV announcers who opened the show with something like "These kids from BYU must feel like it's an honor just to be able to play in a place like this." Plus, Steve Young.

Oh, BYU fans have not forgotten the Stanford band incident. Those of us with a sense of humor thought it was pretty funny. Others were not as amused. I imagine that was the desired result, actually. I'm going to have to look into some of these other controversial moments. That's funny stuff.

Re: Introductions - garvin - 08-12-2015

Quote:Well, in fairness to the much maligned Vlad, he mostly implied enemies.

Numerically, I'm sure he killed more Turks than Wallachians, but he was plenty tough on his own subjects. In one notorious incident, he invited many of the country's poor to a sumptuous feast, then locked the doors of the banquet hall and set it on fire. To be fair, he threw another feast for noblemen who were complaining about taxes, then took them all prisoner to labor on his various construction projects, an experience most of them didn't survive. And let's not get started on the subject of mistresses who reported themselves pregnant.

Re: Introductions - BostonCard - 08-12-2015

(08-12-2015, 05:06 AM)garvin link Wrote:

Numerically, I'm sure he killed more Turks than Wallachians, but he was plenty tough on his own subjects. In one notorious incident, he invited many of the country's poor to a sumptuous feast, then locked the doors of the banquet hall and set it on fire. To be fair, he threw another feast for noblemen who were complaining about taxes, then took them all prisoner to labor on his various construction projects, an experience most of them didn't survive. And let's not get started on the subject of mistresses who reported themselves pregnant.

To be fair to Vlad, she was punished for lying about being pregnant.

Quote:Dracula once had a mistress who lived in a house in the back streets of Tirgoviste. This woman apparently loved the prince to distraction and was always anxious to please him. Dracula was often moody and depressed and the woman made every effort to lighten her lover's burdens. Once, when Dracula was particularly depressed, the woman dared tell him a lie in an effort to cheer him up; she told him that she was with child. Dracula warned the woman not to joke about such matters but she insisted on the truth of her claim despite her knowledge of the prince's feelings about dishonesty. Dracula had the woman examined by the bath matrons to determine the veracity of her claim. When informed that the woman was lying Dracula drew his knife and cut her open from the groin to her breasts while proclaiming his desire for the world to see where he had been. Dracula then left the woman to die in agony.

http://www.weird-encyclopedia.com/vlad-dracula.php

BC

Re: Introductions - CTcard - 08-12-2015

(08-12-2015, 05:06 AM)garvin link Wrote:Numerically, I'm sure he killed more Turks than Wallachians, but he was plenty tough on his own subjects. 

Of course in Bulgarian and Romanian tradition, Vlad is rather a hero.

Which either goes to illustrate the ambiguities of history or that there is no accounting for taste.

Re: Introductions - Mikeferrari - 08-12-2015

(08-12-2015, 10:13 AM)Boston Card link Wrote:[quote author=garvin link=topic=4543.msg124135#msg124135 date=1439381183]

To be fair to Vlad, she was punished for lying about being pregnant.

Quote:Dracula once had a mistress who lived in a house in the back streets of Tirgoviste. This woman apparently loved the prince to distraction and was always anxious to please him. Dracula was often moody and depressed and the woman made every effort to lighten her lover's burdens. Once, when Dracula was particularly depressed, the woman dared tell him a lie in an effort to cheer him up; she told him that she was with child. Dracula warned the woman not to joke about such matters but she insisted on the truth of her claim despite her knowledge of the prince's feelings about dishonesty. Dracula had the woman examined by the bath matrons to determine the veracity of her claim. When informed that the woman was lying Dracula drew his knife and cut her open from the groin to her breasts while proclaiming his desire for the world to see where he had been. Dracula then left the woman to die in agony.

BC
[/quote]

Well there you go.  He may have over-reacted a little but hey!  He was provoked!

Re: Introductions - garvin - 08-12-2015

Quote:To be fair to Vlad,

There's a phrase I never expected to see on the CardBoard.

(08-12-2015, 02:49 PM)garvin link Wrote:

And in the Introductions thread no less.

Re: Introductions - Robbie - 08-12-2015

I'm glad I went to USC...
I miss Walt...
The SEC is the only real conference...
There is only one criterion for choosing a school - where is the best place for me to get to the NFL...

I think all these posts discussing Vlad the Misunderstood should be moved to a new, dedicated thread.  Don't want to give newbys trying to introduce themselves the wrong idea.

Re: Introductions - BostonCard - 08-12-2015

Actually, twice... by two different posters:

Me: "To be fair to Vlad..."
Ferrari: "Well, in fairness to the much maligned Vlad..."

Aren't you getting the sense that the Bootboard collective thinks Vlad the Impaler got a bad rap?  I mean, at least he's not a USC grad.

BC