The CardBoard
Introductions - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Introductions (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Introductions - Robbie - 06-08-2018

(06-07-2018, 02:25 PM)bbm233 Wrote:  Converted to this board a year or so ago when the commercial one fell into neglect.

Have been a Stanford fan since my dad was doing his PhD coursework and we lived in Escondido Village. Those two years happened to correspond to the Plunkett and Bunce Rose Bowl teams. Got my undergrad degree during the Elway, Buckley, Paye years (no bowl games at all). Was in the stands for the Play - my freshman year.

Was always a sports fan, but had the privilege of having a work-study job on campus in the AD. Got to go to football practice every day and blow the air horn, move the blocking sleds around, and shag balls for the kickers. Stood next to the coach during televised games so Mom could see I was still in school. Had a pass key to pretty much every padlock on campus, and the keys to a University pickup truck. Got to eat at training table. Nobody had a better work-study job than me.

My handle is the license plate number from a van my wife and I lived in for six months while we drove around Australia. I now live in Seattle, and make it to campus once or twice a year. I have a niece who played VB and a nephew who played golf on the farm.

Welcome.

Same year as me ('86) and also living in Seattle.

My work-study job was reshelving books in the government documents library. Good times.

RE: Introductions - bbm233 - 06-09-2018

The Buckley era was said tongue-in-cheek. He filled in for Paye in '84 when John was injured. He led us to victory in the Rose Bowl against UCLA, but his other appearances were forgettable. The offense had a few weapons, but Fred didn't have the arm to throw it down field, so there were a lot of dump offs to Emile Harry, Greg Baty, Brad Muster/Thomas Henley/Kevin Scott.

RE: Introductions - Leftcoast - 06-09-2018

I wonder how many of us on this board were at Memorial in ‘82 for the play?  If that’s a Cardboard club then count me in as a member!

RE: Introductions - CTcard - 06-09-2018

(06-08-2018, 05:36 PM)Robbie Wrote:  
(06-07-2018, 02:25 PM)bbm233 Wrote:  Was in the stands for the Play - my freshman year.

Was always a sports fan, but had the privilege of having a work-study job on campus in the AD. Got to go to football practice every day and blow the air horn, move the blocking sleds around, and shag balls for the kickers. 

Welcome.

Same year as me ('86) and also living in Seattle.

My work-study job was reshelving books in the government documents library. Good times.

Well, there are at least three of us from the class of 86. Though I wasn't in the stands for the play … but on the field. 

Didn't have official work-study, but managed to snag a job checking IDs at the squash courts, which mainly involved sitting there doing my homework.

RE: Introductions - JJJ - 06-10-2018

(06-09-2018, 02:18 PM)Leftcoast Wrote:  I wonder how many of us on this board were at Memorial in ‘82 for the play?  If that’s a Cardboard club then count me in as a member!

There was a thread before where we discussed the "phantom" TD by Mariet Ford in the endzone right in front of our student section, but I can't find it. Yes, I was there too.

RE: Introductions - GaryT - 06-10-2018

(06-09-2018, 02:18 PM)Leftcoast Wrote:  I wonder how many of us on this board were at Memorial in ‘82 for the play?  If that’s a Cardboard club then count me in as a member!

I was there, too - my 4th Big Game.  Looking forward to my 40th this November, Luck willing.
Welcome, bbm233!

RE: Introductions - BobK - 06-10-2018

I was there.  Yelling the game isn’t over 
Welcome bbm233

RE: Introductions - Robbie - 06-10-2018

(06-10-2018, 05:19 PM)GaryT Wrote:  

I was there, too - my 4th Big Game.  Looking forward to my 40th this November, Luck willing.
Welcome, bbm233!

Gary was "there". And the Wright Brothers got a machine to "move".

RE: Introductions - BostonCard - 06-10-2018

(06-10-2018, 07:25 PM)Robbie Wrote:  
(06-10-2018, 05:19 PM)GaryT Wrote:  

Welcome, bbm233!

Gary was "there". And the Wright Brothers got a machine to "move".

LOL.  Some of the new members might not know that you are referring to the fact that Gary was the trombonist involved in the play.

BC

RE: Introductions - CTcard - 06-11-2018

(06-10-2018, 10:17 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  
(06-10-2018, 07:25 PM)Robbie Wrote:  Gary was "there". And the Wright Brothers got a machine to "move"

LOL.  Some of the new members might not know that you are referring to the fact that Gary was the trombonist involved in the play.

Hey I got to play Gary T at several rallies the next quarter when everyone wanted to meet "the trombone player" but he hadn't made it there.
It was amazing to me how many folks didn't think it was odd that my "trombone" was quite large, white, and wrapped around over my shoulder while I played it.

It was something like sleeping at  Holiday Inn Express the night before.

RE: Introductions - GaryT - 06-15-2018

(06-11-2018, 09:10 AM)CTcard Wrote:  
(06-10-2018, 10:17 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  
(06-10-2018, 07:25 PM)Robbie Wrote:  Gary was "there". And the Wright Brothers got a machine to "move"

Hey I got to play Gary T at several rallies the next quarter when everyone wanted to meet "the trombone player" but he hadn't made it there.
It was amazing to me how many folks didn't think it was odd that my "trombone" was quite large, white, and wrapped around over my shoulder while I played it.

It was something like sleeping at  Holiday Inn Express the night before.

It gets better.

RE: Introductions - Papa John - 07-03-2018

(06-10-2018, 01:50 PM)JJJ Wrote:  

There was a thread before where we discussed the "phantom" TD by Mariet Ford in the endzone right in front of our student section, but I can't find it. Yes, I was there too.

1982-83 was my Roble year, and I was a dorm-mate of JJJ. I was sitting on the imagined border between the Stanford and Cal rooting sections on November 20.

RE: Introductions - washingtonismoney - 08-30-2018

Puzzlingly, I seem to have been locked out of my previous account, washingtonismoney. Dunno why, would appreciate the assistance.

RE: Introductions - sunnyside sudser - 09-14-2018

Stanford football season ticket holder since my freshman year in 1977.  Was on the Bootleg from the fax days; been lurking here for quite a while as the 'Leg lost its mojo.  

Love the content and tone of the conversations here.  Looking forward to throwing my 2 cents in from time to time.

RE: Introductions - 82lsju - 09-14-2018

I was there, my 4th Big Game.  The first C.a.l touchdown was an incomplete pass.  I've been to all of the Big Games since 1979 with the exception of 1984.

RE: Introductions - BobK - 09-15-2018

I was there yelling to celebrating friends wait they are still playing

RE: Introductions - Mick - 09-15-2018

(09-14-2018, 05:02 PM)82lsju Wrote:  

I was there, my 4th Big Game.  The first C.a.l touchdown was an incomplete pass.  I've been to all of the Big Games since 1979 with the exception of 1984.

I was there in 1982.  Left as soon as I could.

In 1988, I was in the eighth row in the Cal section, a lonely red shirt in a vast sea of uncoordinated blue shirts.  I got to see Tuan Van Le block All Pac 10 and future All American Robbie Keen's 21 yard field goal attempt to preserve a 19-19 tie.  It was the first game since 1953 to end in a tie, and given current rules, likely to be the last one.  There's nothing quite like listening to a vast disappointed gasp when you're right in the middle of it cheering like a madman.

Also there in 1990.  Rather than recreate the narrative, I'll just leave this right here:

RE: Introductions - SUBuddha - 09-21-2018

Hi all-

This is my second attempt to re-register for the site. I have been locked out for over a month. Some of you may remember me without the v2.0. Happy to be back after being forced to read rivals (I pay for it for the recruiting info) but man is that a generally negative place a fair amount of the time.

RE: Introductions - SUBuddha - 09-21-2018

Ignore my new post, through logging in via my alt I found that the problem had been fixed. Thanks all!

RE: Introductions - Ferris Bueller - 10-01-2018

nothing to see here, just another lurcker struggling w/login.  signed, in love with medicare.