The CardBoard
Introductions - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Introductions (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Re: Welcome new posters! - CowboyIndian - 10-06-2011

(10-06-2011, 05:05 PM)snkp360 link Wrote:You could condenser me the resident wino...

OK...now we do.

Re: Welcome new posters! - fullmetal - 10-06-2011

(10-06-2011, 05:05 PM)snkp360 link Wrote:Both of my parents were Class of '75 (Dad - MBA, Mom - Architecture), my Grandparents were mid 50's I believe and my sister just graduated this past year with a BS in Chemical Engineering.

Respect for the ChemE degree...that's one of the toughest majors around.

Re: Welcome new posters! - wyattp - 10-07-2011

(10-06-2011, 07:38 PM)fullmetal link Wrote:[quote author=snkp360 link=topic=4543.msg32558#msg32558 date=1317945908]Both of my parents were Class of '75 (Dad - MBA, Mom - Architecture), my Grandparents were mid 50's I believe and my sister just graduated this past year with a BS in Chemical Engineering.

Respect for the ChemE degree...that's one of the toughest majors around.
[/quote]

Serious...she got all the brains in the family, they passed me right by.  I would talk to her about how school was going and my eyes would just go cross from what she was doing....

Re: Welcome new posters! - Red_Banded_Hat - 10-07-2011

Hi all,
I mostly lurk but occasionally post.
I grew up in Texas, learning football under the Friday night lights in DFW. I was at Stanford for the end of Walsh II and start of the Willingham era.  I also played trombone in the Stanford Band, like a surprising number here.  At Stanford I also became a fan of Men's and Women's Basketball.
For the end of the Willingham era and during a couple of coaches who I won't mention, I was back in Texas, first working in Houston then in grad school in Austin.  I arrived back in the Bay Area just in time for the Harbaugh era, fighting fraud and abuse at a biG internet company not too far from the Farm.
These days I do a lot of my CardBoard reading on my phone while bouncing my baby daughter and have taught my toddler son to say "Go Stanford!" and "Beat C.al!"

Re: Welcome new posters! - vataha - 10-07-2011

Teejers!!!

Good to see you around here again. I am a big afficianado of the mighty Teejers. Good to know that you were on not one but two vomit comets to/from South bend. During the bus ride to the train station  following the 1992 dismantling of Rick Mirer, Jerome Bettis et al, the bus stopped at a liquor store somewhere in rural Indiana. A happy few which included among others Hal Mickelson had roughly five minutes to grab what they could and catch the bus. They scrambled back with enough beer/booze to float a ship. (At the time my wife worked with Hal at HP corporate). As they ran back to the bus we all cheered wildly as the "Four Horsemen" stepped foot upon mobile terra firma and dispersed liquid victory amongst the cardinal masses.

Another memory was when the 1991 Denny Green led Cardinal went in to south central and beat a heavily favored trojan team on trojan soil for the first time since 1975. This was the game of the Chris Walsh "cowboy route" TD reception late in the game. I was so jacked that my girlfriend/wife to be went to the Encina locker room late that night to greet the team as they came home. We waited up in the old oak tree next to the curb and when the buses arrived we clambored down from the oak and greeted the boys as they got off the bus. They were dog tired and could barely register a response as Kim and I thanked them for bringing home the victory. We were the only ones there but I am sure that a few of the players and coaches appreciated the two person reception. I'll never forget it.

Re: Welcome new posters! - fullmetal - 10-08-2011

Red_Banded_Hat!  Sorry we never connected while you were in Austin...let me know if you're in town with time to spare.  Glad you're back within the familiar geography of the Bay.

Re: Welcome new posters! - Leftcoast - 10-17-2011

Doesn't this thread deserve "Classic Hit" status?

Re: Welcome new posters! - garvin - 10-18-2011

I think it would be better to pin it to the top, where newcomers could see it first thing.

Re: Welcome new posters! - bazza97 - 10-24-2011

Just discovered the Cardboard today!  I graduated in 97 (fr - Alondra, so/jr/sr - ATO).  Was on the sailing team at Stanford, and loved being part of the Sixth Man while I was there.

I was a bootleg member for a while but let my subscription expire this summer, and now I figure I'll wait until the end of the season before I re-up (not that I believe in jinxes or anything).  I was primarily a lurker there, but who knows, maybe I'll post more here.  :)

Just from the little I've read, it looks like a great community here.  And I'm looking forward to talking Stanford sports with all of you (or at least reading your thoughts).

Re: Welcome new posters! - Leftcoast - 10-24-2011

Welcome Bazza - Good to have some fresh mea.... Er, faces around to talk with during such a great period for Stanford sports.  I hope you like it around here and look forward to hearing someone explain our quirks the first time you discover the Cardboard equivalent of "the seven words you can't say on TV". 

You were lucky enough to be at Stanford during MBB's rise to prominence under Montgomery.  Pretty cool - those are now "the good old days" in hoops.

Re: Welcome new posters! - yvonne - 10-24-2011

Our freshman receiver has a most unfortunate name. If it weren't for CompSci87 fixing things, he'd be His Royal Ungratefulness the Traitor.

PS: Welcome, Bazza!

Re: Welcome new posters! - CompSci87 - 10-24-2011

(10-24-2011, 03:26 PM)Yvonne link Wrote:Our freshman receiver has a most unfortunate name. If it weren't for CompSci87 fixing things, he'd be His Royal Ungratefulness the Traitor.

I exist to serve.  :D

Re: Welcome new posters! - Roberton3 - 10-29-2011

I'm a long-time lurker (How long?  Let's just say that the men's basketball team was really good when I first started reading this board.) but have never posted before.  After seeing all the new folks show up on the board this fall, I finally decided to speak up.

I got my Ph.D. at Stanford in the late 90s, and went to lots of basketball (men's and women's) and women's volleyball games, along with a fair number of football games and a smattering of other sporting events.  Following that, I spent roughly a decade in Austin, TX, learning what true football obsessiveness is.  And I moved a couple of years ago to DC, which is a college sports wasteland at the moment.

I'm not sure how this fall (or even this game that's now headed to overtime) will turn out, but I'm enjoying the ride so far.

Re: Welcome new posters! - washingtonismoney - 10-29-2011

(10-24-2011, 03:33 PM)CompSci87 link Wrote:[quote author=Yvonne link=topic=4543.msg33632#msg33632 date=1319495206]
Our freshman receiver has a most unfortunate name. If it weren't for CompSci87 fixing things, he'd be His Royal Ungratefulness the Traitor.

I exist to serve.  :D
[/quote]

I'd say He of the Unfortunate Name earned the coding change today.

Re: Welcome new posters! - fullmetal - 10-30-2011

Welcome Roberton!  We're keeping the Stanford flame alive and kicking for you back in Austin should you decide to visit or come back.  We had a group of about 20 staying all the way through last night's game in the outdoor chill despite a thundering bluesy rock show from nearby Threadgill's. 

Re: Welcome new posters! - cardFan - 11-05-2011

Hi everyone! I suppose it's past due for me to introduce myself... I started lurking back early in my undergrad, when our men's basketball team was #1 in the nation (though let it be known that I was a big Stanford fan back in high school, during our run to the final four, etc). To give you a sense of time, my freshman class included Trent Edwards, and we never won a single Big Game during my entire 5 year period at Stanford. I've been a big Stanford sports fan in general, though I've always had a soft spot for men's basketball and camped out for several Arizona games.

I found the Cardboard early on and immediately bookmarked it because it's one of the few sports boards I've found that isn't peppered by spammy comments. I remember mentioning it to @fullmetal at one point... so I might venture to claim a referral :)  I appreciate the intelligent analysis and humor, and I often read snippets outloud to my friends (including my fiance, a former Stanford swimmer, who - when he sees me go for my phone/laptop during commercial breaks, will ask "what does the cardboard say?").

More about me... I was an Electrical Engineering major (one of the few in the female contingent), graduated '06 with my BS and '07 with my MS. I still live in the bay area (in SF, to be specific), and we've finally shelled out the big bucks for football season tickets - can't say how much I love Andrew Luck and the type of student athlete he represents.

Anyway - I'm more of a lurker but may post occasionally when I have something interesting to provide. Otherwise, thanks for all your insightful comments :)

Re: Welcome new posters! - Roberton3 - 11-05-2011

(10-30-2011, 01:31 PM)fullmetal link Wrote:Welcome Roberton!  We're keeping the Stanford flame alive and kicking for you back in Austin should you decide to visit or come back.  We had a group of about 20 staying all the way through last night's game in the outdoor chill despite a thundering bluesy rock show from nearby Threadgill's.

Thanks, fullmetal.  Even though we miss Austin a lot, there's no way we'll be moving back for good anytime soon.  But we do come back for a visit from time to time, and if we're in Austin on a game day, I may try to meet up with y'all.

Re: Welcome new posters! - fultonstreet - 11-06-2011

Greetings and Salutations,

I grew up a Stanford football fan. My dad was the alum, graduating in 1976 with a Master's in education. He and my mom (his fiancee at the time) lived in Quillen, and they have fond memories of football tailgates, biking to San Antonio Shopping Center, and surviving on the charity of the Filipino nurses at Stanford hospital. As for Stanford football, my dad treated it like another course in his Master's education, and studied it religiously.

Anyway, growing up in the Philippines, I was steeped by my dad in all things Stanford. I heard about Warner and Nevers, Plunkett and Bunce, Vataha and Garcia. I heard about how Clark Shaughnessy introduced the shotgun and how Bill Walsh perfected what would become the West Coast Offense. My dad talked incessantly about the awesomeness of the Thunderchickens. Thanks to an uncle in EL Granada, we received VHS tapes of whatever Stanford games had been televised, so we got to see Brad Muster in all his glory.

And that's how it was until we moved to the States, to Southern California. We got to see the 1991 game against USC, where Stanford finally beat the Trojans after 15 winless years. That sealed the deal for me. My dad and I would watch Stanford during their road trips to SoCal, and try to make at least one game in the Bay Area--usually Big Game. We were there for Bill Walsh's first Big Game back as head coach.

I never made it into Stanford. I attended the University of San Francisco, where we would joke that we were getting a kal education at Stanford prices. Since USF hasn't had a Division 1 football team since 1951, the students would maintain whatever allegiances they had growing up; my suitemates in freshman year all rooted for other PAC-10 teams: Oregon State, Washington, and UCLA, and we were all united in our loathing of kal and $c. They're still my best friends.

My dad and I still get together for games, though I've gone to more games by myself nowadays since I'm still in the Bay Area and he's down in SoCal, but we saw this year's UCLA and Colorado games together, and he was at the epic $c game. It's been an awesome ride these past three years for us, and we're just enjoying it.

*Goes back into lurk mode*

Re: Welcome new posters! - garvin - 11-06-2011

Quote:I attended the University of San Francisco, where we would joke that we were getting a kal education at Stanford prices.

Definitely my morning smile. Okay, giggle. Welcome aboard, Fulton Street.

Re: Welcome new posters! - yvonne - 11-06-2011

(11-06-2011, 09:37 AM)Fulton Street link Wrote:I heard about how Clark Shaughnessy introduced the shotgun and how Bill Walsh perfected what would become the West Coast Offense.

Didn't Clark Shaughnessy's t-formation place the quarterback under center?