The CardBoard
Introductions - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Introductions (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Re: Welcome new posters! - fultonstreet - 11-06-2011

Sorry, I mixed up my Bay Area football innovators. Shaughnessy did reinvent the T formation. Red Hickey popularized the shotgun with the 49ers.

Re: Welcome new posters! - 81alum - 11-13-2011

As my handle suggests, I graduated in 1981.  I married a Stanford student (celebrated our 30th last summer) and we moved around the country in grad school, returning to Palo Alto in 1988.  I was temporary faculty at Stanford for a couple of years before earning a permanent job at a nearby university.  Now I bicycle to womens' basketball games and the occasional football game, but spent most of the last several decades following these sports on t.v. and from a distance.

When I arrived on campus in 1977 I did not know Stanford had a football team, and was vaguely disappointed to find out they did.  I was as anti-athletics as an 18 year old could be.  But I had a football player and a couple team managers on my hall and it was Bill Walsh's first year.  I got sucked in by the intellectual side of the game.  I kept hearing stories about the genius coach who had thought up schemes that allowed us to to beat superior athletes.  By the end of the season I was attending football games and attempting to predict the play calls.  It was football as chess that interested me, and I never let go of it.

I did not attend a single basketball game when I was a student (pre Montgomery era--I think Kimberly Belton was our star at the time) and have still not attended a men's game--though I watched a lot of tv from the Todd Lichti era forward.  Both Montgomery and Tara came after I graduated, so my interest in basketball happened indirectly.  I have become one of those who loves women's college basketball and doesn't much care for men's or pro basketball.  You've heard all those arguments before so I won't repeat them here.

I'm in love with the amateur ideal, and can only cheer for Stanford because I sense they do athletics the "right" way.  I am employed at a university which has poor graduation rates for its athletes and which siphons desperately needed resources away from academics to support a mostly unsuccessful athletics program.  Stanford is one of the few beacons of light in the college sports world.

Re: Welcome new posters! - bulldogbigred - 12-17-2011

Hello everyone,
I don't believe I have formally introduced myself. But I believe I am the youngest Stanford board member here at 16 years old. I currently attend Vacaville High School and I am aspiring to gain admission into Stanford.

I have always had a passion for the game of football but I do not play it. I was originally a Fresno State fan (and I still am) as my father attended and also played football there. I have an older than average father but I do truly enjoy the wisdom that he gives me. I remember the 2005 Fresno State vs. USC game, I was around 10 at the time. But unfortunately that game was the pinnacle of Fresno State's program a close loss to the number 1 ranked team in the land. I am still very much enthused about the pride that the Bulldogs bring to the valley.

Anyway, I first became accustomed to Stanford when my father said he hung around the Stanford crowd and enjoyed their refined behavior. He would have liked to attend Stanford but it was too far from home and had other commitments. I further noticed Stanford, in the monumental upset of U.S.C. in '07. I attended my first Stanford game in 2009 against N.D. and have attended multiple games since then, most recently Oregon.

One of the many attributes that I find attractive about Stanford, is its "family-oriented" atmosphere and comradeship. One can create close bonds with many and friendships for a life time in (which seems) to be a close community. My catholic school, which I attended K-8, only consisted of a graduating class of twenty, but the close relationships that we had were many memories that I cherish.

Stanford is a team that I respect because of the sacrifices they have to make every single day. The intense academic curriculum and the long hours on the practice field give the true definition of a student-athlete. In a time of corruption and money, Stanford still and will always play with integrity. 

Hello everyone,
I don't believe I have formally introduced myself. But I believe I am the youngest Stanford board member here at 16 years old. I currently attend Vacaville High School and I am aspiring to gain admission into Stanford.

I have always had a passion for the game of football but I do not play it. I was originally a Fresno State fan (and I still am) as my father attended and also played football there. I have an older than average father but I do truly enjoy the wisdom that he gives me. I remember the 2005 Fresno State vs. USC game, I was around 10 at the time. But unfortunately that game was the pinnacle of Fresno State's program a close loss to the number 1 ranked team in the land. I am still very much enthused about the pride that the Bulldogs bring to the valley.

Anyway, I first became accustomed to Stanford when my father said he hung around the Stanford crowd and enjoyed their refined behavior. He would have liked to attend Stanford but it was too far from home and had other commitments. I further noticed Stanford, in the monumental upset of U.S.C. in '07. I attended my first Stanford game in 2009 against N.D. and have attended multiple games since then, most recently Oregon.

One of the many attributes that I find attractive about Stanford, is its "family-oriented" atmosphere and comradeship. One can create close bonds with many and friendships for a life time in (which seems) to be a close community. My catholic school, which I attended K-8, only consisted of a graduating class of twenty, but the close relationships that we had were many memories that I cherish.

Stanford is a team that I respect because of the sacrifices they have to make every single day. The intense academic curriculum and the long hours on the practice field give the true definition of a student-athlete. In a time of corruption and money, Stanford still and will always play with integrity. 

Re: Welcome new posters! - garvin - 12-17-2011

Hey, stanfordindians. Happy to have you as a fan, as a board member, and hopefully a few years from now as an alum.

Re: Welcome new posters! - garvin - 12-17-2011

Hey, stanfordindians. Happy to have you as a fan, as a board member, and hopefully a few years from now as an alum.

Re: Welcome new posters! - yvonne - 12-17-2011

Hi stanfordindians. Based on your screen name, I had you pegged for someone much older. You must also be  a student of history! Welcome, and enjoy the board.

Re: Welcome new posters! - yvonne - 12-17-2011

Hi stanfordindians. Based on your screen name, I had you pegged for someone much older. You must also be  a student of history! Welcome, and enjoy the board.

(12-17-2011, 09:56 AM)Yvonne link Wrote:Hi stanfordindians. Based on your screen name, I had you pegged for someone much older. You must also be  a student of history! Welcome, and enjoy the board.

Yes, I am definitely quite the history buff. For the term paper I just completed others chose to write about current events, such as the paying of college athletes, while I typed away about the causes of the Russian Revolution.

(12-17-2011, 09:56 AM)Yvonne link Wrote:Hi stanfordindians. Based on your screen name, I had you pegged for someone much older. You must also be  a student of history! Welcome, and enjoy the board.

Yes, I am definitely quite the history buff. For the term paper I just completed others chose to write about current events, such as the paying of college athletes, while I typed away about the causes of the Russian Revolution.

Re: Welcome new posters! - machinerytech - 01-08-2012

Greetings!

I've been reading the board for a long time and finally got around to registering and dropping a line.

i guess i'm a bit of an oddball here, as i am not an alum, student, nor a resident of california.  i became a stanford fan back in '05 when i was stationed in sacramento, ca. with the uscg. i attended almost every home game that year. up until joining the coast guard i could've cared less about football, up until attending those games i had never been to a football game.

a little background info on myself is that i'm still in the uscg, stationed up here in nyc. over the course of my life i've lived in colorado, illinois, north carolina, new jersey, california, oregon, virginia, florida, and new york. i've got a beautiful wife and daughter (who whether she likes it or not, is going to stanford).

Greetings!

I've been reading the board for a long time and finally got around to registering and dropping a line.

i guess i'm a bit of an oddball here, as i am not an alum, student, nor a resident of california.  i became a stanford fan back in '05 when i was stationed in sacramento, ca. with the uscg. i attended almost every home game that year. up until joining the coast guard i could've cared less about football, up until attending those games i had never been to a football game.

a little background info on myself is that i'm still in the uscg, stationed up here in nyc. over the course of my life i've lived in colorado, illinois, north carolina, new jersey, california, oregon, virginia, florida, and new york. i've got a beautiful wife and daughter (who whether she likes it or not, is going to stanford).

Greetings!

Greetings!

Re: Welcome new posters! - yvonne - 01-08-2012

Welcome, machinerytech!

Wow! you must be pretty hard core to have become a fan in 2005! I'm sure many students who graduated in 2005 didn't become fans.

I look forward to reading your contributions.

Welcome, machinerytech!

Wow! you must be pretty hard core to have become a fan in 2005! I'm sure many students who graduated in 2005 didn't become fans.

Welcome, machinerytech!

Welcome, machinerytech!

yeah, well i think it was more the new experience of college football than anything. they were pretty terrible back in 05.

yeah, well i think it was more the new experience of college football than anything. they were pretty terrible back in 05.