The CardBoard
Introductions - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Introductions (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Kathy - 12-01-2012

(12-01-2012, 11:07 AM)dispr link Wrote:Now where I work, we have a lot of  Corn Husker fans

In Fort Worth? Somehow I thought there would just be lots of t-sips like everywhere else in Texas. They're like cockroaches — all over the state.  ;)

Re: Welcome, new posters! - garvin - 12-01-2012

In Fort Worth, I'd have thought TCU fans would be the problem. In any event, dispr, welcome aboard! There are a fair number of Texan/folks with Texan connections on the board. In fact, maybe we should schedule a CardBoard meeting at that Amarillo steakhouse with the free 72-oz. steak.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - fullmetal - 12-01-2012

You know they hold the Red River Shootout Showdown in Dallas because it's neutral territory between Oklahoma and Texas?  The northern realms of Texas, like any large center state (see Orson Scott Card), blend well with the states along those borders.  I'm not surprised that there are a fair number of Nebraska fans up there.  SMU and TCU would be hometown favorites, of course, but only one has risen to prominence recently.  Texas is very heterogeneous in its football loyalty though it's just between UT and A&M for vast parts of the state.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - dispr - 12-01-2012

The railroad I work for consolidated their operation centers in the mid 90's to fort worth. There were a few ops center in Nebraska that they moved, thus the large amount of coworkers that are husker fans. Now all the natives I work with tend to be longhorn fans with some TCU/OK/A&M/Okie state fans mixed in there. 

A cardboard meeting at the big Texan would be awesome. However Amarillo is about a 4hr. drive for me.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - stupac2 - 01-18-2013

I suppose I've decided to start posting here, so I should introduce myself. I'm Stuart, class of '09, majored in Physics, currently living in Oakland and working in Hayward. I sadly just missed seeing the resurgence of Stanford football from the farm (although being on campus for the Greatest Upset Ever was pretty nice), but have been a season ticket holder since '10 (barring some change I'll be keeping my seats in 101, Row J next year).

This place seems like the best spot for focused Stanford news/discussion, so I'm finally hoping aboard after lurking for a while.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - yvonne - 01-18-2013

Welcome!

Re: Welcome, new posters! - Leftcoast - 01-18-2013

Yeah, StuPac!  Glad to have you.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - StanFan88 - 04-02-2013

New to the board - class of '88 (yeah I've been around a while)
- Football season ticket holder last 15 years
- Men's bb season tickets holder last 10 year (but maybe not for long)
- Buck/Cardinal since I graduated
- not afraid to express my opinions!

Re: Welcome, new posters! - StanFan88 - 04-02-2013

New to the board - class of '88 (yeah I've been around a while)
- Football season ticket holder last 15 years
- Men's bb season tickets holder last 10 year (but maybe not for long)
- Buck/Cardinal since I graduated
- not afraid to express my opinions!

Re: Welcome, new posters! - garvin - 04-02-2013

Welcome aboard!

Re: Welcome, new posters! - garvin - 04-02-2013

Welcome aboard!

Re: Welcome, new posters! - yvonne - 04-02-2013

Welcome, StanFan88

Re: Welcome, new posters! - yvonne - 04-02-2013

Welcome, StanFan88

Re: Welcome, new posters! - PrinceLightfoot - 04-02-2013

It's a good day for proper introductions. My name is Eric and graduated with an Economics degree.

I am relatively new to posting, but have been reading for some time. I played in The LSJUMB for my freshman year (93-94). Of all the memories I have while at Stanford the most memorable one was the halftime show against Low APR U. Several 59ers rushed the field in an attempt to maul The Tree, but we were expecting it. As soon as I saw one jump down from the stands, I layed down my trumpet and charged the poor idiot laying him out at about the 30 yard line on the north side of the stadium - I played center and middle linebacker in high school and was relishing the opportunity to tackle someone on the field. With other band members in tow we proceeded to dogpile the unfortunate dolt, and remember being frightened because the compression of body on top of body literally squeezed out any remaining breath. When we finally unpiled, he stood up slowly and had a wild fear in his eyes...for some reason security still had not arrived, so I tackled him again before he ran away.

Others pinned him down. The idea of taking off his shoes entered my mind so that running away would be a bit more difficult. He was wearing a very old pair of converse quartertops with the laces wrapped around his ankles in a tight knot. I tried to slip the shoes off his feet when the entire sole of the shoe ripped right off! I am not proud of what transpired afterwards - other members began to rip the clothes right off him (quite easily...the clothes must have been old, too). When security finally arrived, they cuffed him and thew a jacket around him.

A picture of a band member holding up the 59er's cap and me holding up the sole of that shoe in front of the Stanford crowd appeared in The Daily. Even though Low APR U destroyed us that Saturday, I prefer to remember that day as one where a 59er dared to walk onto our field and left with no sole.

It's a good day for proper introductions. My name is Eric and graduated with an Economics degree.

I am relatively new to posting, but have been reading for some time. I played in The LSJUMB for my freshman year (93-94). Of all the memories I have while at Stanford the most memorable one was the halftime show against Low APR U. Several 59ers rushed the field in an attempt to maul The Tree, but we were expecting it. As soon as I saw one jump down from the stands, I layed down my trumpet and charged the poor idiot laying him out at about the 30 yard line on the north side of the stadium - I played center and middle linebacker in high school and was relishing the opportunity to tackle someone on the field. With other band members in tow we proceeded to dogpile the unfortunate dolt, and remember being frightened because the compression of body on top of body literally squeezed out any remaining breath. When we finally unpiled, he stood up slowly and had a wild fear in his eyes...for some reason security still had not arrived, so I tackled him again before he ran away.

Others pinned him down. The idea of taking off his shoes entered my mind so that running away would be a bit more difficult. He was wearing a very old pair of converse quartertops with the laces wrapped around his ankles in a tight knot. I tried to slip the shoes off his feet when the entire sole of the shoe ripped right off! I am not proud of what transpired afterwards - other members began to rip the clothes right off him (quite easily...the clothes must have been old, too). When security finally arrived, they cuffed him and thew a jacket around him.

A picture of a band member holding up the 59er's cap and me holding up the sole of that shoe in front of the Stanford crowd appeared in The Daily. Even though Low APR U destroyed us that Saturday, I prefer to remember that day as one where a 59er dared to walk onto our field and left with no sole.

Re: Welcome, new posters! - CowboyIndian - 04-02-2013

(04-02-2013, 11:31 AM)PrinceLightfoot link Wrote:I prefer to remember that day as one where a 59er dared to walk onto our field and left with no sole.

None of them has a sole to begin with. Good work, Lightfoot! I'm wondering where you came up with your handle...given your Stanford class and all. More good work!

Re: Welcome, new posters! - CowboyIndian - 04-02-2013

(04-02-2013, 11:31 AM)PrinceLightfoot link Wrote:I prefer to remember that day as one where a 59er dared to walk onto our field and left with no sole.

None of them has a sole to begin with. Good work, Lightfoot! I'm wondering where you came up with your handle...given your Stanford class and all. More good work!

I found out about Prince Lightfoot while researching the Stanford mascot change.

"[Timm] Williams, or ‘Prince Lightfoot,’ acted as Stanford’s unofficial mascot for 20 some years until 1972, when a group of 55 Stanford Native American students and staff succeeded in convincing then-President Dr. Richard Lyman to drop the moniker ‘Indians.’

In the 20 years that preceded that decision, Williams attended nearly every Stanford football game, home and away. At each game he performed traditional Yurok tribal dances in traditional regalia — without taking a break."

http://www.klamathbucketbrigade.org/StanfordDaily_RespectdueformascotPrinceLightfoot101205.htm

I found out about Prince Lightfoot while researching the Stanford mascot change.

"[Timm] Williams, or ‘Prince Lightfoot,’ acted as Stanford’s unofficial mascot for 20 some years until 1972, when a group of 55 Stanford Native American students and staff succeeded in convincing then-President Dr. Richard Lyman to drop the moniker ‘Indians.’

In the 20 years that preceded that decision, Williams attended nearly every Stanford football game, home and away. At each game he performed traditional Yurok tribal dances in traditional regalia — without taking a break."

http://www.klamathbucketbrigade.org/StanfordDaily_RespectdueformascotPrinceLightfoot101205.htm

Re: Welcome, new posters! - fullmetal - 04-03-2013

Sometimes it takes a little bit of extreme Stanford fanaticism to remind other fans that Stanford fans are not going to lay down at the first sign of aggression.  Great story, and welcome to the board!