The CardBoard
OT How about those Giants - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: OT How about those Giants (/showthread.php?tid=20187)

OT How about those Giants - BobK - 08-01-2020

Bouncing back and now hitting. Bench Belt score 9 runs I like that.

RE: OT How about those Giants - lex24 - 08-01-2020

They may finish season at .500. Unfortunately Sunday (if they even play then) may be the end of the season.

RE: OT How about those Giants - Phogge - 08-01-2020

Manfred and his staff should be sacked.

RE: OT How about those Giants - lex24 - 08-01-2020

(08-01-2020, 09:32 AM)Phogge Wrote:  Manfred and his staff should be sacked.

When was the last time MLB was truly well run?  Next up is a lockout or strike.  The CBA is up 2021.  And I suspect the players are going to demand some major changes. Particularly with issues of the length of team control.  Metrics has had a big impact on that score, as players eligible for free agency are not being paid based on what they have done, but more on what they are projected to do.  Thus driving down value of many when they are first eligible to hit the FA market.

RE: OT How about those Giants - Phogge - 08-01-2020

Maybe Giammati, maybe Happy Chandler, perhaps never run well. Players griped and then formed the Federal League, others opted in the 30's for the Mexican League, Commiskey paid poorly so the Black Sox ensued.

Maybe MLB should just shit and die. I have always preferred the old Coast League and going to Big Rec to see and play Sunday ball in front of fans just out for a nice time and a $1.25 hot dog in the little shack between Graham and Nealon Diamonds.

Curses on the houses of Manfred. I'm all for independent regional leagues.

RE: OT How about those Giants - Mick - 08-01-2020

(08-01-2020, 02:46 PM)Phogge Wrote:  Maybe MLB should just shit and die. I have always preferred the old Coast League and going to Big Rec to see and play Sunday ball in front of fans just out for a nice time and a $1.25 hot dog in the little shack between Graham and Nealon Diamonds.

My dad told me he'd rather watch me and my buddies play little league than major league baseball.  I guess I know why...

RE: OT How about those Giants - BobK - 08-02-2020

My first LL team age 10, no LL in SF so started in Sacramento. Once a week a parents meeting for my team to discuss strategy. My dad an athlete went twice said sorry son not for LL

Giants are now 5-4 and have the NL RBI leader.

RE: OT How about those Giants - Phogge - 08-02-2020

End of days for Belt and Crawford. Last at bat today Crawford’s back foot was dancing. No solid drive off it. Time to sever the connection and get Will Wilson some playing time.

RE: OT How about those Giants - akiddoc - 08-02-2020

A's in first place.

RE: OT How about those Giants - pefloresjr - 08-02-2020

(08-02-2020, 06:45 PM)akiddoc Wrote:  A's in first place.

You forgot he winky emoji.  Record of 5-4.  ;-)
Cheers,
Pete F.

RE: OT How about those Giants - Mick - 08-03-2020

(08-02-2020, 04:12 PM)Phogge Wrote:  End of days for Belt and Crawford. Last at bat today Crawford’s back foot was dancing. No solid drive off it. Time to sever the connection and get Will Wilson some playing time.

It's amazing to me how those stars all got old at 31-32 age..  Cain, Lincecum, Posey, Belt, Crawford, Theriot, Sandoval, Wilson, Robb Nen.  Sandoval hit .268 with .826 OPS last year at age 32, is now 2 for 21 at age 33...but I guess you'd expect it from the NL's only OT.  Freddy Sanchez was excellent until age 33.  Schierholtz done at 30.  Burrell lasted to 34, 33 was his last good year in 2010.  rowand 33, last good year was 31.

A number of players lasted much longer than 32.  Pagan was 34, and clearly had more in the tank, he didn't want a backup role.  Randy Winn hit over .300 for the Giants from age 31-35, wasn't done till age 36 (and an SCU Bronco...played basketball with Nash).  Bengie Molina, 35; Blanco, 34.  Blanco played all year last year in Mets AAA, hitting .246.  Marco Scutaro to 37, Omar Vizquel to 45!, Mike Morse to 35, 

Zito pitched to 35, Javvy Lopez to 38, Casilla to 37, Romo to 37 (still pitching), Vogelsong to 38, Jean Machi to 35, Tim Hudson to 39, Jake Peavy to 35, jeremy Affeldt to 36, Yusmeiro Petit, 35 (still pitching).

The Giants' home grown talent seems to top out at 32 or so.

RE: OT How about those Giants - Phogge - 08-03-2020

Perry, Spahn, Ryan, Wynn, Wilhelm pitching into their Forties.

Today's pampered ***** players positively punk out early.

RE: OT How about those Giants - Mick - 08-03-2020

(Yesterday, 11:17 AM)Phogge Wrote:  Perry, Spahn, Ryan, Wynn, Wilhelm pitching into their Forties.

Today's pampered ***** players positively punk out early.

Wish I could recall where I saw it, but I saw an article that claimed pitchers that grew up under Righetti (not imports) basically developed arm trouble and flamed out by the early 30s.

RE: OT How about those Giants - Phogge - 08-04-2020

Many physical errors and even more mental ones. WTF were they working on at the Summer camp? WTF have they been working on in the minor leagues? Plus the shift puts guys in positions they don't usually cover like Longoria last night.

RE: OT How about those Giants - BobK - 08-04-2020

Robb Nen had 43 saves his final season
That isn’t worn out at all. Plus he works for the Giants

RE: OT How about those Giants - Mick - 08-04-2020

(10 hours ago)BobK Wrote:  Robb Nen had 43 saves his final season
That isn’t worn out at all.  Plus he works for the Giants

Nen was worn out.  He stopped playing at the age of 32.  He lists "injured" as his reason for not playing at the age of 33 and again at 34.  He technically retired at age 35 after not having pitched since age 32.  To me, that screams that he was worn out.

More specifically, Nenn pitched in the majors for 10 years and made the post season just three times.  He was in the World Series twice, in 1997 for Florida and 2002 for the Giants...his last season.  He pitched in 20 games in his postseason career, half of those games came in his last postseason.  He tried his level best to win the World Series for the Giants, pitching in 68 games in the regular season, 4 of 5 in the NLDS, 3 of 5 in the NLCS and 3 of 7 in the World Series.  He ruined his arm permanently that postseason, but he badly wanted to win a world championship.  He likened his decision to that of Kevin Durant's:

https://theathletic.com/1023054/2019/06/12/giants-pitcher-robb-nen-sacrificed-his-career-in-pursuit-of-a-title-heres-why-he-stands-behind-kevin-durant/

Don't limit pitches. Back off the fastball a little. Work on movement. Too many kids are throwing at close to 100% effort and that's what gets you hurt.

Reference: "A History of Baseball in Ten Pitches." Tyler Kepner

RE: OT How about those Giants - Mick - 08-04-2020

(5 hours ago)Phogge Wrote:  Don't limit pitches. Back off the fastball a little. Work on movement. Too many kids are throwing at close to 100% effort and that's what gets you hurt.

Reference: "A History of Baseball in Ten Pitches." Tyler Kepner

Nolan Ryan.  Between Majors & Minors, he pitched as an:

18 year old, 120 innings
19 year old, 205 innings.  Had a sore arm.  Next year....
20 year old, just 34 innings.
21 year old, 134 innings.
22 year old, 89 innings.
23 year old, 131 innings
24 year old, 152 innings.

And then the big inning numbers really started.  282 as a 25 year old, pitching between 282 and 326 during five of the next six years...but then he backed off to a normal starter's level, between 173 and 234 innings for the next 13 years in a row, except for the strike year of 1981 (149 innings) and a year in which he pitched 250.

Amazing career.  Most strikeouts, most walks, fewest hits per nine innings pitched.  Won at least 10 games in 20 separate seasons.  Led league in losses once, ERA twice, shutouts three times, but never in wins.  Led league in strikeouts eleven times, walks 8 times, wild pitches six times, but hit batters just once.  in 27 starts as a 44 year old, he gave up 5.3 hits per nine innings pitched.

Only led the league in WHIP twice...as a 43 year old and a 44 year old.  As a 40 year old, struck out 11.5 batters per nine innings, led the league with a 2.76 ERA...and finished 8-16.

RE: OT How about those Giants - BobK - 08-04-2020

And now for the rest of the Nen story

https://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=1995888

More mental errors tonight.

Belt... has a chance and hits into a DP. Eat the contract.