The CardBoard
Pac12 football: So..now what? - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Pac12 football: So..now what? (/showthread.php?tid=20448)

Pac12 football: So..now what? - needle - 09-16-2020

This morning enough reports have leaked out for me to feel confident that the Big 10 is going to (try to) play football this fall, after all.

The reports say Oct. 24 is the date set for the first games.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-big-ten-reverses-course-will-play-college-football-this-fall-125509398.html

So....does this greatly increase the chances the Pac12 will try to also play football this fall?

Or does it just kill the chances of the Pac12 playing football in the spring?

RE: Pac12 football: So..now what? - Phogge - 09-16-2020

Whoop de do.

RE: Pac12 football: So..now what? - BobK - 09-16-2020

I believe Pac 12 meets today

RE: Pac12 football: So..now what? - OutsiderFan - 09-16-2020

The Big Ten should have waited until October to make a return to sports announcement, IMO. We are right at the point where a second Covid wave would be starting if it is in fact going to happen.

RE: Pac12 football: So..now what? - BostonCard - 09-16-2020

(09-16-2020, 07:49 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  The Big Ten should have waited until October to make a return to sports announcement, IMO. We are right at the point where a second Covid wave would be starting if it is in fact going to happen.

They need some lead time to get the teams together, get some practices in, and set the schedule.

In the meantime, I just found out that our June 2021 global meeting was postponed.  Then again, the meeting doesn't bring in millions of dollars in TV money. 

BC

As far as the Pac 12 can’t play in Oregon or California right now and can’t practice really. However both SF abd and Santa Clara county just moved a bit closer today

RE: Pac12 football: So..now what? - BostonCard - 09-16-2020

(09-16-2020, 08:14 AM)BobK Wrote:  As far as the Pac 12 can’t play in Oregon or California right now and can’t practice really.  However both SF abd and Santa Clara county just moved a bit closer today

Air in the Peninsula is much better today (it is currently raining! here).  As far as the situation with COVID-19, I don't see why the Niners would be able to practice and play in Santa Clara, and not Stanford in Palo Alto.

BC

RE: Pac12 football: So..now what? - Phogge - 09-16-2020

In my head is a category called "Interest in college football 2020." There is a large asterisk after 2020.

An announcer at the 49er game said that they could NOT practice tackling. So there’s that.

RE: Pac12 football: So..now what? - Believer - 09-16-2020

DEAR PAC12 (and Governor) whatever you do, PLEASE make the correct decision. Jobs, livelihoods, culture, health, and dreams (to name a few) are at stake.
It's not just a game,,,,

RE: Pac12 football: So..now what? - paloalto - 09-16-2020

I haven't heard anything lately about the PAC-12 player demands.  Was their 50% gross revenue demand and social justice demands met?  If they weren't will the players go on strike?

RE: Pac12 football: So..now what? - Snorlax94 - 09-16-2020

The MercuryNews’s Wilner’s take:

With the Big Ten restarting, the Pac-12 stands alone. Whatever it takes, the conference must play this fall

I would expect the Pac 12 will get an exemption due to he rapid testing the league secured and which, according to Wilner, will be set up and operating on campuses by Oct 1.

My personal preference is to call it “fall practices” while still leaving open a possible early 2021 season. 

Given the outbreaks on campuses across the nation and the risks to the communities that host them, I think it’s a 50/50 that college football makes it to November.

RE: Pac12 football: So..now what? - Papa John - 09-16-2020

The reason the California NFL teams got waivers and college teams didn't had to do with extra safety measures that NFL teams could take. One of the big issues was testing, and that will be resolved by the end of September when the Antigen quick-response tests are available. So October 24 sounds like a quick turnaround if real practicing can't start until October 1, but Jon Wilner suggests that the Pac-12 could at least do a five-game season--a round-robin schedule within each division. You could have the conference championship game with the winner advancing to the Rose Bowl versus a B1G team. On conference championship weekend, you could also have #2 Pac-12 north versus #2 Pac-12 south and so on down the line. So each team plays six games, with at least the champion playing in a bowl game.

As far as players demands go, nothing is possible unless/until public health officials and the California/Oregon governors say so. I think that some players will be sitting out for a variety of reasons, but many more will want to play. Well, this is all just my opinion, and I respect those who disagree, but I am hopeful for some semblance of a fall football season for Stanford.

RE: Pac12 football: So..now what? - M T - 09-16-2020

(09-16-2020, 09:39 AM)Believer Wrote:  DEAR PAC12 (and Governor) whatever you do, PLEASE make the correct decision. Jobs, livelihoods, culture, health, and dreams (to name a few) are at stake.
It's not just a game,,,,

DEAR PAC12 (and Governor):
Lives matter more than livelihoods based on a non-essential activity that is already known to damage young men.  Does the PAC-12 want to see headlines like these, but about football?
"Maine wedding ‘superspreader’ event is now linked to seven deaths. None of those people attended."
"CTE Risk More Than Doubles after Just Three Years of Playing Football"

It IS just a game.... 

PLEASE make a wise decision, even if some will need to seek more constructive livelihoods.

RE: Pac12 football: So..now what? - teejers1 - 09-16-2020

(09-16-2020, 12:15 PM)M T Wrote:  
(09-16-2020, 09:39 AM)Believer Wrote:  DEAR PAC12 (and Governor) whatever you do, PLEASE make the correct decision. Jobs, livelihoods, culture, health, and dreams (to name a few) are at stake.
It's not just a game,,,,

Lives matter more than livelihoods based on a non-essential activity that is already known to damage young men.  Does the PAC-12 want to see headlines like these, but about football?
"Maine wedding ‘superspreader’ event is now linked to seven deaths. None of those people attended."

It IS just a game.... 

PLEASE make a wise decision, even if some will need to seek more constructive livelihoods.

DEAR Pac 12 (and Governor):

Every life matters.  Every single one.  Keep SiP strict until there is a vaccine.  No amount of "economic" justification matters - it's just money, not lives.  . . 

+++++

Dear Pac 12 (and Governor):

Livelihoods of thousands matter more than the lives of a small (and impossible to determine, anyway) number of old and/or overweight people who were on the brink anyway . . . 

+++++

No need to go one.  These kinds of "letters" can take all shapes and forms.  It comes down to a policy decision.  You'd like to think there are meaningful policies driving decisions, but I have a hard time seeing it out of Sacto/SCC.  But that's just my take, and one colored by decision-makers' apparent rejection of the most important consideration.

RE: Pac12 football: So..now what? - SamuelMcF - 09-16-2020

The football team is back on campus and practicing (without contact, it appears). 

RE: Pac12 football: So..now what? - Believer - 09-16-2020

Yes, Health was right in the middle of my response. Not one criteria was intended to be before the other.  I said make the correct decision. I don't know what it is, but luckily Im not one of those that has to make the decision. 

And yea, its more than just a game,,,

signed player, coach, dad

lex24 - lex24 - 09-16-2020

(09-16-2020, 01:36 PM)teejers1 Wrote:  
(09-16-2020, 12:15 PM)M T Wrote:  
It's not just a game,,,,

It IS just a game.... 

DEAR Pac 12 (and Governor):

Every life matters.  Every single one.  Keep SiP strict until there is a vaccine.  No amount of "economic" justification matters - it's just money, not lives.  . . 

+++++

Dear Pac 12 (and Governor):

Livelihoods of thousands matter more than the lives of a small (and impossible to determine, anyway) number of old and/or overweight people who were on the brink anyway . . . 

+++++

No need to go one.  These kinds of "letters" can take all shapes and forms.  It comes down to a policy decision.  You'd like to think there are meaningful policies driving decisions, but I have a hard time seeing it out of Sacto/SCC.  But that's just my take, and one colored by decision-makers' apparent rejection of the most important consideration.

I can’t understand what is being asked through the original email.  Because it appears to me to be a call to permanently end football.  Why else  the reference  to CTE?  That’s fine btw if what it was intended.  Just don’t fully grasp.

Also - are the nightly goings on in Portland a “superspreader event”. Every. Single. Night. Or do they have some kind of exemption..... BTW - interesting exercise: Google “Portland protests” than google “Portland riots”.