The CardBoard
OT: Spanish flu trivia - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: Emergency (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Covid-19 (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: OT: Spanish flu trivia (/showthread.php?tid=20449)

OT: Spanish flu trivia - Phogge - 09-16-2020

In Fall 1918 as WWI was winding down and the Spanish Flu was making its first headway the Tournament of Roses sponsored a game between two service teams after abandoning a plan to stage a contest between college teams. The Great Lakes Navy vs a team from Mare Island. What HOFer was the game's MVP?

RE: OT: Spanish flu trivia - Phogge - 09-16-2020

Hint: player and coach in the NFL.

RE: OT: Spanish flu trivia - BobK - 09-16-2020

George Halas

RE: OT: Spanish flu trivia - Papa John - 09-16-2020

OK, here's more Rose Bowl trivia. Stanford once lost the Rose Bowl in consecutive years: in 1934 to Columbia and 1935 to Alabama. However, three different schools have lost the Rose Bowl in three consecutive seasons. One of those teams is in the current Pac-12 and the other two are in the current B1G. Can you name them without looking it up?

RE: OT: Spanish flu trivia - BobK - 09-16-2020

Trivia is now Covid ???

Michigan three straight losses

RE: OT: Spanish flu trivia - terry - 09-16-2020

(09-16-2020, 11:18 AM)Papa John Wrote:  OK, here's more Rose Bowl trivia. Stanford once lost the Rose Bowl in consecutive years: in 1934 to Columbia and 1935 to Alabama. However, three different schools have lost the Rose Bowl in three consecutive seasons. One of those teams is in the current Pac-12 and the other two are in the current B1G. Can you name them without looking it up?

Well, let's see, Papa John's signature line says "you can't put "Cal football" and "Rose Bowl" in the same sentence." 

So, I'm guessing one of the three-straight Rose Bowl losers might be Cal?

RE: OT: Spanish flu trivia - Mick - 09-17-2020

(09-16-2020, 11:18 AM)Papa John Wrote:  OK, here's more Rose Bowl trivia. Stanford once lost the Rose Bowl in consecutive years: in 1934 to Columbia and 1935 to Alabama. However, three different schools have lost the Rose Bowl in three consecutive seasons. One of those teams is in the current Pac-12 and the other two are in the current B1G. Can you name them without looking it up?

It would have to be either Michigan or Ohio State.  I'd guess Ohio State.

As for the Pac-8/10/12 candidate, I'll guess USC.

RE: OT: Spanish flu trivia - BostonCard - 09-17-2020

As I recall, when we played Wisconsin in 2013, their attendance was somewhat disappointing, in part due to the fact that they had lost the two previous Rose Bowls, so their loss to us would have made three

BC

RE: OT: Spanish flu trivia - 82lsju - 09-17-2020

(09-16-2020, 12:30 PM)terry Wrote:  

Well, let's see, Papa John's signature line says "you can't put "Cal football" and "Rose Bowl" in the same sentence." 

So, I'm guessing one of the three-straight Rose Bowl losers might be Cal?

I really hope it is Cal!!!!!