The CardBoard
Can anyone understand what Gavin Newson is saying here? - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Can anyone understand what Gavin Newson is saying here? (/showthread.php?tid=20456)

Can anyone understand what Gavin Newson is saying here? - CardinalSagehen - 09-16-2020

If anyone understands this, please illuminate us. I am befuddled.  He does understand that it is impossible to practice for football in a cohort of 12, doesn’t he?  

It’s okay with me if he wants to say no, but in that case, he has to own it.  Perhaps he is just buying time until they’re ready to make a decision?

RE: Can anyone understand what Gavin Newson is saying here? - BostonCard - 09-16-2020

lex24 - lex24 - 09-16-2020

No.  It’s lost in politicianese.

RE: Can anyone understand what Gavin Newson is saying here? - Phogge - 09-16-2020

Two years ago everyone was using “icon.” Last year it was “pivot.” Now it’s “cohort.”

You are cool if you use these words.

I ain’t cool.

RE: Can anyone understand what Gavin Newson is saying here? - 82lsju - 09-16-2020

(09-16-2020, 05:49 PM)Phogge Wrote:  Two years ago everyone was using “icon.” Last year it was “pivot.” Now it’s “cohort.”

I ain’t cool.

I see the synergies you are trying to get with your paradigm shifts........going forward all will become more transparent......

RE: Can anyone understand what Gavin Newson is saying here? - Phogge - 09-16-2020

Eric, are you a Jesuit?

RE: Can anyone understand what Gavin Newson is saying here? - BobK - 09-16-2020

All clear now.

RE: Can anyone understand what Gavin Newson is saying here? - old spanish trail - 09-16-2020

All clear now.

They're working on it?

RE: Can anyone understand what Gavin Newson is saying here? - 82lsju - 09-16-2020

(09-16-2020, 07:09 PM)Phogge Wrote:  Eric, are you a Jesuit?

not good enough for the Jesuits......was a Pepsi-Cola (Episcopal) until around eight years old when for various reasons beyond my pay grade "we" ended our regular church attendance.....which I was more than fine with........

Richard@agnich.com - Mudhead - 09-17-2020

(09-16-2020, 04:50 PM)CardinalSagehen Wrote:  If anyone understands this, please illuminate us. I am befuddled.  He does understand that it is impossible to practice for football in a cohort of 12, doesn’t he?  

It’s okay with me if he wants to say no, but in that case, he has to own it.  Perhaps he is just buying time until they’re ready to make a decision?

It is clear to me he is following the science.  He licks his index finger and holds it up in the air to determine which way the wind is blowing.  No politics, pure science.

RE: Can anyone understand what Gavin Newson is saying here? - Phogge - 09-17-2020

At least that is a scientific method to see where the wind is blowing on a treeless golf course. We have another executive who sticks his derrière in the air whenever science is the subject.

RE: Can anyone understand what Gavin Newson is saying here? - BostonCard - 09-17-2020

(09-16-2020, 04:50 PM)CardinalSagehen Wrote:  If anyone understands this, please illuminate us. I am befuddled.  He does understand that it is impossible to practice for football in a cohort of 12, doesn’t he?  

Actually, it is not that difficult to understand once you realize that Newsom is seeking to avoid being blamed if things go sideways.  He knows that there is a lot of pressure to restart football, so he doesn't want to appear like the state is the barrier to restarting, hence he is saying things like "There's nothing in our guidelines the state put out that denies these games from occurring".

But also, if something bad happens to one of the players or there's an outbreak connecting to the football games, he still wants to be able to blame the NCAA, conference, and schools.

Governor Newsom wants to have it both ways.  I really hope this works out.  Thankfully, the disease tends to be fairly mild in younger populations like football players, so it may all turn out well.  But let's be clear that this whole "damned the torpedoes, let's play football" reveals how f-d up our priorities are.  We have no compunction in disadvantaging college kids' academics by sacrificing in person classes and, in many people, send students home, but the minute millions in TV money is at risk somehow we can find a way to make it work.

BC

RE: Can anyone understand what Gavin Newson is saying here? - Phogge - 09-17-2020

A lot of people follow celebrities mistaking their financial and self love success for success as human beings. I hope a bunch of parents sue the colleges, the NCAA, politicians, Ed Orgeron and the ghost of Knute Rockne for keeping their kids away from school so some elite "Student Athletes" can play the money game.

RE: Can anyone understand what Gavin Newson is saying here? - qwerty49 - 09-17-2020

I think the Georgia situation sums up the priorities.  UGA will make modifications to limit seating in Sanford Stadium to 23,000 for football this fall.  But apparently they can't figure out a way to let students vote in person on campus.

Hmmm.  How about using the stadium?

RE: Can anyone understand what Gavin Newson is saying here? - Farm93 - 09-17-2020

(09-17-2020, 09:13 AM)BostonCard Wrote:  

Actually, it is not that difficult to understand once you realize that Newsom is seeking to avoid being blamed if things go sideways.  He knows that there is a lot of pressure to restart football, so he doesn't want to appear like the state is the barrier to restarting, hence he is saying things like "There's nothing in our guidelines the state put out that denies these games from occurring".

But also, if something bad happens to one of the players or there's an outbreak connecting to the football games, he still wants to be able to blame the NCAA, conference, and schools.

Governor Newsom wants to have it both ways.  I really hope this works out.  Thankfully, the disease tends to be fairly mild in younger populations like football players, so it may all turn out well.  But let's be clear that this whole "damned the torpedoes, let's play football" reveals how f-d up our priorities are.  We have no compunction in disadvantaging college kids' academics by sacrificing in person classes and, in many people, send students home, but the minute millions in TV money is at risk somehow we can find a way to make it work.

BC
And to add to this idea, Gov Newsom knows if he is the final barrier to Pac-12 football then it is possible (perhaps likely) that President Trump will not allow FEMA assistance to be provided for the fire damaged regions, especially if the budgeted FEMA money is depleted by President Trump's unemployment 3:1 match program.  So that wandering statement might just be a way to preserve access to relief funds.

He is one of the few Democrats to actually talk with POTUS45 in the last 3 weeks, so Newsom might understand he needs to do this dance for now.   

My assumption is that the Pac-12 can (and will) get a waiver for contact sport practices if they test daily participants daily.    The NFL and MLB are practicing and playing in the state, so it is possible to get a waiver.

When the Pac-12 is granted approval to start, Newsom will reference the daily testing and will note that any other organization able to test participants daily will have the same opportunity to seek a waiver.   Gov Newsom will know that lower Div colleges, high schools and club sports will not be able to test daily, so no worries about this expanding out of control.

RE: Can anyone understand what Gavin Newson is saying here? - Mick - 09-17-2020

(09-16-2020, 05:49 PM)Phogge Wrote:  Two years ago everyone was using “icon.” Last year it was “pivot.” Now it’s “cohort.”

I ain’t cool.

B-I-N-G-O.  Won it on "cohort"

Here's a few more:
  1. Synergy

2. Think outside the box (and other variations, like “step out of the box,” an “out of the box” idea, etc.)

3. Take it offline

4. Circle back

5. Low-hanging fruit

6. At the end of the day

7. Cloud, and cloud-based

8. To not know what you don’t know

9. Big Data

10. Move the needle

11. Leverage

12. Agile

13. Best Practice

14. Digital transformation

15. Deep dive

16. Bandwidth

17. Customer journey

18. Moving forward–and its close cousin “going forward”

19. Next level, up-level, level up

20. Reach out

21. Touch base

22. Wheelhouse

23. Disruptor

24. Alignment / Aligned

25. Right

26. Bottom line

27. Acronyms (FYI, ROI, KPI, etc.)

28. Disruptive

29. Value (as in value-add, driving value, value proposition, corporate values, or value drop)

30. Ping

31. Lean, and lean-in

32. Paradigm (as in paradigm shift or breaking the paradigm)

33. Partner–the verb (“Partner with us”) and the noun (“Business partner”)

34. Ideate / Ideation

35. Ask, used as a noun to mean “request”

36. Learnings

37. Holistic, especially in the phrase “Holistic approach”

38. Culture (as in “company culture,” “corporate culture,” “startup culture,” or “creating a [inset adj. here] culture”)

39. Thought leader / Thought leadership

40. Content (whether “Content is king” or “snackable content”)

41. Growth hacking (which is essentially just marketing)

42. Buy-in

43. Pain point

44. Swimlane, or even just “lane,” particularly when someone is telling you to stay in yours.

45. Best in class / Best of breed

46. Game-changer

47. Teamwork, team-building, and team-players

48. Next-gen

49. Hard stop

50. ROI (“Return on investment”)

51. IoT (“Internet of things”)

52. Innovative

53. Influencer

54. Single pane of glass

55. Customer-centric

56. All hands on deck

57. Net-net

58. Put a pin in it

59. Stakeholders

60. Strategic

61. Metrics

62. Machine Learning

63. Pivot

64. On the same page

65. Advertainment

66. Collaboration

67. Intelligence, whether it’s “artificial intelligence,” “business intelligence,” “emotional intelligence,” “market intelligence,” “competitive intelligence,” or otherwise.

68. Automation

69. Blockchain

70. Intuitive

71. Analytics

72. Platform

73. Open the kimono

74. Unpack

75. Giving 110%

76. Tables of all sorts: table stakes, bringing something to the table, or tabling it for later

77. Quick win

78. Onboarding (and “get everyone on board”)

79. Scrum

80. Boil the ocean

81. Story (in context of “storytelling,” “user stories,” or making a “long story short”)

82. On your plate, or having a “full plate”

83. 30,000 ft. view, 10,000 ft. view, and other escalations of a top-down view

84. Core competency / Core capabilities

85. Rockstar

86. Loops: “looping back,” keeping someone “in the loop,” or the dreaded “feedback loop”

87. Free, and even worse, freemium

88. Blue sky

89. Integration

90. Engagement

91. Actionable

92. Efficiency

93. Socialize

94. Diversity

95. Verticals

96. Bio-break

97. Bleeding edge

98. Optimize

99. Scalable

100. Organic

101. Omni-channel

102. Empower

103. Win-win

104. Optics

105. DevOps

106. Data-driven

107. In the weeds

108. Double click (as in to “double-click” into something)

109. On your radar

110. Ducks in a row

111. Drill down

112. Space (as in “playing in” a particular “space”)

113. Fast in various forms, such as “fast-paced,” “fail fast” or “cheap, fast, and good”

114. Top of mind, mindfulness, and mindshare 

115. KPI (“Key performance indicator”)

116. ASAP (“As soon as possible”)

117. Giving back your time 

118. Per (“per se,” “per my last email,” etc.)

119. FYI (“For your information”)

RE: Can anyone understand what Gavin Newson is saying here? - BostonCard - 09-17-2020

You missed the hot new one these days, a "teal" organization.

BC

RE: Can anyone understand what Gavin Newson is saying here? - teejers1 - 09-17-2020

(09-17-2020, 09:13 AM)BostonCard Wrote:  

Governor Newsom wants to have it both ways.  I really hope this works out.  Thankfully, the disease tends to be fairly mild in younger populations like football players, so it may all turn out well.  But let's be clear that this whole "damnedorpedoes, let's pl the tay football" reveals how f-d up our priorities are.  We have no compunction in disadvantaging college kids' academics by sacrificing in person classes and, in many people, send students home, but the minute millions in TV money is at risk somehow we can find a way to make it work.

BC

BC nails it.  I just had to laugh at that one sentence, though:

"There's nothing in our guidelines the state put out that denies these games from occurring".

Man that is all kinds of layered/contrived . . . and hurts a bit to read it.

How about:  "These are just guidelines, schools are free to do what they believe is safe."  [Of course, that's not true].
Or "The state guidelines permit college sports."  (I'm not sure that is true, either).

Anyway, an admirable example of vacillation/qualification/obfuscation . . . 

In other words, perfect PoliticianSpeak!