The CardBoard
K.J. and the Pirate Episode 4 - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: K.J. and the Pirate Episode 4 (/showthread.php?tid=20657)

Pages: 1 2

K.J. and the Pirate Episode 4 - JohnR34231 - 10-17-2020

About to begin for anyone who is interested in watching.

RE: K.J. and the Pirate Episode 4 - martyup - 10-17-2020

KJ with 4 INTs last week.  Ouch. Hope he bounces back.

RE: K.J. and the Pirate Episode 4 - Spiny_Norman - 10-17-2020

Texas A&M rushing 3, dropping 8 into a zone. It's working. They have sacked Costello 4 times in the 1st half and shut out MSU as we get close to halftime.

RE: K.J. and the Pirate Episode 4 - JustAnotherFan - 10-17-2020

(10-17-2020, 02:24 PM)Spiny_Norman Wrote:  Texas A&M rushing 3, dropping 8 into a zone. It's working. They have sacked Costello 4 times in the 1st half and shut out MSU as we get close to halftime.

I'm glad they all learned from Stanford that rushing three and dropping eight was the way to beat the Pirate.

RE: K.J. and the Pirate Episode 4 - Spiny_Norman - 10-17-2020

(10-17-2020, 02:47 PM)JustAnotherFan Wrote:  
(10-17-2020, 02:24 PM)Spiny_Norman Wrote:  Texas A&M rushing 3, dropping 8 into a zone. It's working. They have sacked Costello 4 times in the 1st half and shut out MSU as we get close to halftime.

I'm glad they all learned from Stanford that rushing three and dropping eight was the way to beat the Pirate.

Mississippi State OL playing matador as the A&M DL runs past them. Olé! Costello sacked again and fumbled which led to A&M's 4th TD of the day. On the next series, Will Rogers replaced Costello. He also got sacked on 3rd down. MSU looks anemic.

lex24 - lex24 - 10-17-2020

Benched. Offense hasn’t scored in 30 possessions.  I feel for KJ.  He had some swagger. Confident kid.  That’s gone. He was dropping snaps, getting hit damn near every throw.  Looked awful.  Came off the field after fumbling and was screaming at his lineman.  You knew at that point he was coming out. 

MSU has a pretty decent defense.  Offensively they are putrid. Line sucks.  Getting beat consistently - usually by a three man rush.  Don’t seem to have much speed.  Their best player, a RB, didn’t suit up.  For unknown reasons.

I thought KJ made a mistake going there.  Wanted to be wrong.  I don’t think I was.

RE: K.J. and the Pirate Episode 4 - slide - 10-17-2020

2nd game in a row without an offensive TD.  Pirate ship looks to be in dry dock.

KJ:  15 for 22 for 99 yards, 1 INT.

(10-17-2020, 02:47 PM)JustAnotherFan Wrote:  

Unfortunately Stanford doesn’t quite have the same team speed defensively.....

RE: K.J. and the Pirate Episode 4 - CardinalSagehen - 10-17-2020

KJ was replaced by the true freshman backup toward the end of the third quarter, and the kid led a drive for their first offensive TD in a very long time. He seemed to have much better protection than KJ was getting, but he made a couple nice throws.

It seems doubtful that KJ will be back today.  This is not ending well for him...

RE: K.J. and the Pirate Episode 4 - Phogge - 10-17-2020

Time to make the degree pay off.

RE: K.J. and the Pirate Episode 4 - Snorlax94 - 10-17-2020

When Mike Leach Tweeted a terribly offensive image involving a noose this year I noted that it could give other teams locker room motivation to come after his team, and I noted they might specifically go after the qb.

Sadly for KJ, it does seem to me that MissSt opponents and defensive linemen in particular do seem quit eager to humiliate Leach.

It’s unprovable either way, but generally, it was incredibly dumb for Leach to give his opponents extra motivation. I could see coaches showing that picture to defensive linemen all week before the game.

I feel sorry for KJ, but I have posted reservations about playing for Leach from the outset.

RE: K.J. and the Pirate Episode 4 - qwerty49 - 10-17-2020

So 2 women ran out onto the field protesting -- for PETA.  According to this account, the cops showed better tackling form than the team.  There's a nice photo here but I can't figure out how to copy and paste it.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/peta-protestors-mississippi-state-bulldogs-texas-am-security-2020/

RE: K.J. and the Pirate Episode 4 - BostonCard - 10-17-2020

[Image: USATSI_15081063-scaled.jpg]

Not the best technique; he's too upright.

I feel really bad for KJ.  After his 2018 season, I legitimately thought that he would continue making progress and declare for the draft and get taken in the middle rounds after 2019.  I still blame Northwestern for that dirty late hit; I don't think he was the same after that.  I was hoping that he'd do better under Leach's system.  If nothing else, he has gotten a lot out of his QB's and I was hoping that the LSU game would be representative.

BC

RE: K.J. and the Pirate Episode 4 - old spanish trail - 10-17-2020

I've always been a big KJ supporter. Still think he will be picked in the middle rounds and get a chance to make a squad. He looks very tentative right now which is not a recipe for success. Shaw will promote him which will count with some teams.

(10-17-2020, 10:53 PM)old spanish trail Wrote:  I've always been a big KJ supporter. Still think he will be picked in the middle rounds and get a chance to make a squad. He looks very tentative right now which is not a recipe for success. Shaw will promote him which will count with some teams.

I don’t think he has the feet or the accuracy to play in the NFL.

RE: K.J. and the Pirate Episode 4 - JustAnotherFan - 10-18-2020

(10-17-2020, 10:53 PM)old spanish trail Wrote:  I've always been a big KJ supporter. Still think he will be picked in the middle rounds and get a chance to make a squad. He looks very tentative right now which is not a recipe for success. Shaw will promote him which will count with some teams.

Not sure any team will draft him if he rides the bench, or continues to rotate in and out for a losing team all year. KJ may be a great example of how timing and luck sometimes matter as much as talent.

Richard@agnich.com - Mudhead - 10-18-2020

(10-18-2020, 08:11 AM)JustAnotherFan Wrote:  

Not sure any team will draft him if he rides the bench, or continues to rotate in and out for a losing team all year. KJ may be a great example of how timing and luck sometimes matter as much as talent.

I like KJ and appreciate the one great year he gave us . I think his next one would have been good without injury, much of which emanated from an opening game cheapshot that went under penalized. After week one at Miss State, this board was full of condemnation of Shaw for not providing KJ the flexibility to go for max every play. Not so much of that anymore. Maybe it’s time To consider the possibility that Shaw handled KJ just right .  Maximized  his talent and minimized his tendancy to get in trouble and turn the ball over.  I’m not sure of that but I am sure KJ would not have thrown for 600 yards every game if only Shaw had turned him loose. Come on folks, confession is good for the soul. Own it!

RE: Richard@agnich.com - teejers1 - 10-18-2020

(10-18-2020, 11:14 AM)Mudhead Wrote:  
(10-18-2020, 08:11 AM)JustAnotherFan Wrote:  

I like KJ and appreciate the one great year he gave us . I think his next one would have been good without injury, much of which emanated from an opening game cheapshot that went under penalized. After week one at Miss State, this board was full of condemnation of Shaw for not providing KJ the flexibility to go for max every play. Not so much of that anymore. Maybe it’s time To consider the possibility that Shaw handled KJ just right .  Maximized  his talent and minimized his tendancy to get in trouble and turn the ball over.  I’m not sure of that but I am sure KJ would not have thrown for 600 yards every game if only Shaw had turned him loose. Come on folks, confession is good for the soul. Own it!

The fact that KJ is an average QB talent, and the fact that Shaw is a below average offensive mind, are independent truths that are not related.

I'm happy for KJ - he had a glorious week in the Football Landscape (something he never would have achieved here) - and he still has his Stanford degree and friends.  And who knows, he may resurface later this season at Mississippi State.  His NFL prospects were largely independent of this season's results, imo, due to the limitations Lex noted above.

Look, it takes all of about 15 minutes watching QBs take game snaps to figure out which one is better.  Mills is better.  Mills will also be limited by Shaw's mediocre offensive mind, but his upside is higher.

RE: Richard@agnich.com - Goose - 10-20-2020

(10-18-2020, 01:56 PM)teejers1 Wrote:  Look, it takes all of about 15 minutes watching QBs take game snaps to figure out which one is better.  Mills is better.  Mills will also be limited by Shaw's mediocre offensive mind, but his upside is higher.

Man that's good to know! I guess all those NFL folks are getting paid the big bucks to do what can be done in 15 minutes. Who knew?

RE: Richard@agnich.com - SamuelMcF - 10-20-2020

(10-20-2020, 06:10 PM)Goose Wrote:  
(10-18-2020, 01:56 PM)teejers1 Wrote:  Look, it takes all of about 15 minutes watching QBs take game snaps to figure out which one is better.  Mills is better.  Mills will also be limited by Shaw's mediocre offensive mind, but his upside is higher.

Man that's good to know! I guess all those NFL folks are getting paid the big bucks to do what can be done in 15 minutes. Who knew?

"which is better" =/= "which one will translate to the NFL"