The CardBoard
10 years ago today - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: 10 years ago today (/showthread.php?tid=20934)

10 years ago today - BostonCard - 11-21-2020

Catouse became a verb.

BC

RE: 10 years ago today - Canalejas - 11-21-2020

Man, those were some good days.

RE: 10 years ago today - JustAnotherFan - 11-21-2020

(11-21-2020, 12:17 AM)BostonCard Wrote:  Catouse became a verb.

BC

Whenever I think of Ryan Grigson, Jim Isray, and the Indianapolis Colts, I am reminded how easily absolutely incompetent people can squander the careers of even the most talented football players. Still makes me mad.

RE: 10 years ago today - Farm93 - 11-21-2020

I remember cheering from the stands.  That game was close prior to that moment, but after that play the game result was never in doubt.

The toughest part of that clip, for me, is to realize that I will not be at the game on Friday.

Given how many games were cancelled this weekend, and given the growth in cases, I can't help but wonder if Stanford might not play again this season.   I certainly believe Stanford Football will see at least one more game cancellation before the end of the season.

RE: 10 years ago today - winflop - 11-21-2020

I will always remember this game, but for other reasons. It was my older son's first visit to Port-A-John Memorial Stadium. Sometime in the 3rd quarter, with Stanford up 30-something to nothing, during a timeout the Weenies had a sponsored "play of the game" that was 15 seconds of a black screen & dead air. My son, then 13, yells "THEY HAVE NOTHING! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!" A bunch of former players were sitting a few rows above us and came down to high five him after laughing their @$$es off.

RE: 10 years ago today - Phogge - 11-21-2020

I dream of Andrew in a Niner Uni next year.

RE: 10 years ago today - gailtate - 11-21-2020

Met up with some fellow travelers at Henry's in Berzerkley pre-game. Later, took our seats a couple of rows in front of Timm (Prince Lightfoot) Williams' family. The post-kickoff, weenie-instigated altercation led to to 2 ejections (bi-partisan). And that was the only offense Tedford's Teddies would show. Luck's awesome shiver-delivery to Catouse was epic. And I remember telling my compatriots as we descended the steps of Memorial Stadium, "THESE are the good ol' days". Boy, were they. Thankful to have been there. More thankful each year.

RE: 10 years ago today - Embo - 11-21-2020

I posted this several years ago.  I've witnessed hundreds of Stanford games over the decades, and the Stanford team in the 2010 Big Game played about as close to perfection as possible.  Stanford scored on every possession while Andrew was under center.  Obviously, that meant there was not a single punt until Josh Nunes came in during the fourth quarter.  Stanford did not commit a single turnover, while creating two INTs and recovering one fumble.  There was only one penalty, and it was in some ways incidental - there was a roughing the passer call (was it Chase Thomas?) who had his hands up trying to block the pass and his arms came in contact with the QB's helmet, an automatic penalty.  And it certainly could have been a shutout - cal scored two late TDs, and it was only because it was the second and third string defenses and both came on trick plays (halfback pass and a hook-and-lateral.)

Looking back, that would have been the fourth shutout of the season (UCLA and UW previously and OSU the following week.)  Gailtate is correct - those were the good ol' days.

RE: 10 years ago today - teejers1 - 11-21-2020

(11-21-2020, 06:42 PM)Embo Wrote:  I posted this several years ago.  I've witnessed hundreds of Stanford games over the decades, and the Stanford team in the 2010 Big Game played about as close to perfection as possible.  Stanford scored on every possession while Andrew was under center.  Obviously, that meant there was not a single punt until Josh Nunes came in during the fourth quarter.  Stanford did not commit a single turnover, while creating two INTs and recovering one fumble.  There was only one penalty, and it was in some ways incidental - there was a roughing the passer call (was it Chase Thomas?) who had his hands up trying to block the pass and his arms came in contact with the QB's helmet, an automatic penalty.  And it certainly could have been a shutout - cal scored two late TDs, and it was only because it was the second and third string defenses and both came on trick plays (halfback pass and a hook-and-lateral.)

Looking back, that would have been the fourth shutout of the season (UCLA and UW previously and OSU the following week.)  Gailtate is correct - those were the good ol' days.

Yes, that season Stanford broke out the can on so many opponents, especially in back half of the season.  And those who think the 2011 team was as good, well, I respectfully disagree.  And will leave it at that.  Putting aside the bowl game results, even the "common" L against Oregon were completely different animals.