The CardBoard
UCLA missing 9 players because of Covid - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: UCLA missing 9 players because of Covid (/showthread.php?tid=20937)

UCLA missing 9 players because of Covid - Spiny_Norman - 11-21-2020

UCLA plays Oregon today without their starting QB Dorian Thompson-Robinson, 3 RBs, 2 WRs and 2 defensive players because of COVID exposure. I know that only adds up to 8. The 9th player was not identified in the LA Times article.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/story/2020-11-21/dorian-thompson-robinson-ucla-players-out-oregon-coronavirus

That's a lot of "next man up"

RE: UCLA missing 9 players because of Covid - Langdude - 11-21-2020

Still playing hard and fast. Impressive.

-m.

RE: UCLA missing 9 players because of Covid - OutsiderFan - 11-21-2020

How cool for Oregon to play two games against teams missing their starting QB for Covid reasons.

Now I'm rooting for Oregon players to get sick because they allowed this game to be played. It's just impossibly stupid to have games in these conditions. 

I'll volunteer to watch a test pattern interrupted by ads if that would get the schools the money they need to justify not playing.

RE: UCLA missing 9 players because of Covid - teejers1 - 11-21-2020

(11-21-2020, 02:25 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  How cool for Oregon to play two games against teams missing their starting QB for Covid reasons.

Now I'm rooting for Oregon players to get sick because they allowed this game to be played. It's just impossibly stupid to have games in these conditions. 

I'll volunteer to watch a test pattern interrupted by ads if that would get the schools the money they need to justify not playing.

Sometimes you don't crack me up.
Dude . . . get a grip.

RE: UCLA missing 9 players because of Covid - BostonCard - 11-21-2020

WTF dude? Sometimes you are lucky and the team you are about to play loses a key starter due to injury, or, in this case, COVID-19.  It happens.  Had WSU's outbreak not been worse, we would have played them without their starting QB.

My feelings on this college football season are clear, but I would not wish a COVID-19 outbreak on anybody.

BC

And yet, somehow, UCLA was down three with first and 10 at the Oregon 39 with about a minute left.  They were about 10 yards from a decent shot at a field goal to tie it, and could have won it with a touchdown.

Alas, two incomplete passes and a false start left UCLA with 3rd and 15, and they ran for three and threw an incomplete pass on fourth and 12 and Oregon kneeled to end the game.

You have to wonder whether DTR might have had a better night than his replacement, who had two INTs (then again, Thompson is not known for his accuracy).

BC

RE: UCLA missing 9 players because of Covid - Phogge - 11-21-2020

From what I saw the freshman has some talent. Bad break on the last play of the half. UCLA is going to be scary next year.

lex24 - lex24 - 11-21-2020

Meanwhile MSU tied 24-24 with Georgia.  Playing with 49 scholarship players. Would have cancelled game in PAC-12.

RE: lex24 - Farm93 - 11-22-2020

(11-21-2020, 07:40 PM)lex24 Wrote:  Meanwhile MSU tied 24-24 with Georgia.  Playing with 49 scholarship players. Would have cancelled game in PAC-12.
SEC also seems cool packing 25,000+ in the lower tier of each stadium.

I have wondered though....
Is it better for a school to get the 30,000 fans that clearly are not going to care about COVID into the same outdoor stadium ~3-6 feet apart from other social groups?

OR 

Is it better for a school to ban fans in the stands and then have those 30,000 fans clustering at 4+ hour indoor ticket holder parties in 2,000 homes each with ~15 fans?

Best to avoid both obviously, but given the USA's inability to make any sacrifices for the greater societal good which one is worse.   Maybe the SEC is onto something by keeping their fans at the outdoor stadiums.

The SEC isn't making a shameless grab for a few bucks...They are saving lives!

RE: lex24 - teejers1 - 11-22-2020

(11-22-2020, 06:50 PM)Farm93 Wrote:  
(11-21-2020, 07:40 PM)lex24 Wrote:  Meanwhile MSU tied 24-24 with Georgia.  Playing with 49 scholarship players. Would have cancelled game in PAC-12.

Is it better for a school to get the 30,000 fans that clearly are not going to care about COVID into the same outdoor stadium ~3-6 feet apart from other social groups?

OR 

Is it better for a school to ban fans in the stands and then have those 30,000 fans clustering at 4+ hour indoor ticket holder parties in 2,000 homes each with ~15 fans?

Best to avoid both obviously, but given the USA's inability to make any sacrifices for the greater societal good which one is worse.   Maybe the SEC is onto something by keeping their fans at the outdoor stadiums.

The camera shots into the stands at Auburn and Georgia were a bit shocking . . . at least to this SCC resident where "curfew and purple reign."

Let's Go Crazy!

RE: UCLA missing 9 players because of Covid - oregontim - 11-23-2020

(11-21-2020, 06:39 PM)Phogge Wrote:  From what I saw the freshman has some talent. Bad break on the last play of the half. UCLA is going to be scary next year.

I watched that game. UCLA looked really good. Only turnovers saved the ducks. Griffin, their replacement true-freshman quarterback, looked like a future star. One of his two interceptions was a fluke, a pass off course because he was being sacked.

RE: lex24 - BostonCard - 11-23-2020

(11-22-2020, 09:48 PM)teejers1 Wrote:  The camera shots into the stands at Auburn and Georgia were a bit shocking . . . at least to this SCC resident where "curfew and purple reign."

Let's Go Crazy!

This strikes me as unwise.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-soccer-match-that-kicked-off-italys-coronavirus-disaster-11585752012

Quote:By then, the coronavirus was spreading through untold numbers of asymptomatic carriers. Forty thousand bouncing, hugging soccer fans were the perfect vector: Experts are now convinced that Atalanta’s 4-1 win over Valencia was a catalyst in turning Lombardy into one of the worst-hit regions on the planet. The coronavirus was so present inside the stadium that night that once Valencia returned to Spain, 35% of its traveling squad eventually tested positive.

“These kinds of mass gatherings were ideal environments for the virus to be transmitted.”

But as they say, "It just means more" in the SEC.

BC

RE: lex24 - teejers1 - 11-23-2020

(11-23-2020, 09:01 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  
(11-22-2020, 09:48 PM)teejers1 Wrote:  The camera shots into the stands at Auburn and Georgia were a bit shocking . . . at least to this SCC resident where "curfew and purple reign."

Let's Go Crazy!

This strikes me as unwise.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-soccer-match-that-kicked-off-italys-coronavirus-disaster-11585752012

Quote:By then, the coronavirus was spreading through untold numbers of asymptomatic carriers. Forty thousand bouncing, hugging soccer fans were the perfect vector: Experts are now convinced that Atalanta’s 4-1 win over Valencia was a catalyst in turning Lombardy into one of the worst-hit regions on the planet. The coronavirus was so present inside the stadium that night that once Valencia returned to Spain, 35% of its traveling squad eventually tested positive.

“These kinds of mass gatherings were ideal environments for the virus to be transmitted.”

But as they say, "It just means more" in the SEC.

BC

Purple Rain ("reign") . . . "Let's Go Crazy" . . . maybe a little too cute (but I couldn't think how to work "When Doves Cry" into a comment about the games . . . ).

lex24 - lex24 - 11-24-2020

(11-22-2020, 06:50 PM)Farm93 Wrote:  

OR 

The USA has made sacrifices.  Major sacrifices.  But I wholeheartedly agree fans should not be at games.  Or the parties.

RE: UCLA missing 9 players because of Covid - Phogge - 11-24-2020

Lex, how do you feel now about the poster who said he would go gladly back in March on TOS? Just to help keep the economy going. Did you watch 60 Minutes last Sunday? A story about long term effects of young Covid sufferers. I wonder how he feels now.