The CardBoard
2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread (/showthread.php?tid=20938)

2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - george - 11-21-2020

[Image: ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig...010107.jpg]
“Ties and no playoffs? Why do you even do this?”
-Ted Lasso

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - cardcrimson - 11-21-2020

Zero to zero

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - BostonCard - 11-21-2020

WEll, it will be 0-2 Stanford against 0-2 Cal, fresh off their 31-27 loss to *checks notes* OSU.  Has Big Game ever been played between a winless Stanford and a winless Cal?

I guess the good news is that someone is guaranteed to get their first win.

BC

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - cardcrimson - 11-21-2020

(11-21-2020, 05:21 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  WEll, it will be 0-2 Stanford against 0-2 Cal, fresh off their 31-27 loss to *checks notes* OSU.  Has Big Game ever been played between a winless Stanford and a winless Cal?

BC
Don't bet on it. . . .

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - BostonCard - 11-21-2020

Good point.  It had been in the back of my mind as I was writing, and I was actually thinking I shouldn't make any claims that would imply the game is definitely happening, but I lapsed.

BC

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - 82lsju - 11-21-2020

[Image: 1*vgwlPGNutqercHsx7IzvNA.jpeg]

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - CowboyIndian - 11-21-2020

(11-21-2020, 05:49 PM)82lsju Wrote:  [Image: 1*vgwlPGNutqercHsx7IzvNA.jpeg]

The gravity-and-polizia-defying banner! Beat Cal!

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - 82lsju - 11-21-2020

Quote:'Beat Cal' Hung on World's Most Famous Campanile
BY JUDY SKLAR
PISA. Italy, Oct. 22 (Special to The Daily I Fortyfive fearless Stanford students today invaded this town, ascended its Loaning Tower, and told the world in six and one-half foot letters to "Beat Cal."

Clad as tourists, the group from the Stanford Overseas Study Center in Florence hung an 80-foot-long banner with the red letters "Beat Cal" on it from the world's most famous Campanile.

The coup d'etat in the infamous Stanford-Cali-fornia rivalry was termed "tutto tempo" by awed Italian onlookers. THK MOVE came as a complete surprise to the genuine tourists both on and around the tower, in the Piazza del Duomo, but especially to the tower guards who were taken entirely unawares.

It was not until after pairs of students had been lined up on each of the tower's six levels and ropes had started to be lowered that the guard stationed 100 feet from the tower base noticed anything peculiar. He was quickly pacified by Bill Reppy. one of the diversionary force posted as part of a guided tour of the tower, who explained that the ropes were to measure the 180-foot structure.

Other guards were alarmed when the ropes reached the ground and were secured there, and they started screaming "Alto!" (take the ropes up). Quick thinking students Tony Komaroff and Stafford Smith pulling on the ropes answered merely "grazie," "prego" (thank you, you're welcome) and continued to pull while the guards continued to shout.

FINALLY the guard at the tower entrance ran to the police station across the road—the Leaning Tower is in the center of Pisa and called an officer. However, by this time the banner extending almost half the length of the tower had been lowered in full view of a bus of passing tourists, the 70 tourists in the area •surrounding the tower, horse-carts and priests who frequent the vicinity, Stanford students gleefully snapping pictures, and the enraged guards.

Making sure that there was ample time for photographs, the students then pulled the banner back up to the top. The policeman accosted the guide-in disguise, Lee Shershow, head of the ground diversionary tactics committee, and demanded an explanation.

When the guard understood the nature of the sign, which he had thought was political, Italian elections being Nov. 6, he too declared the mar.uever "tutto tempo" and demanded that California be vanquished.

FOR THIS record, he requested an explanation made in the police books and in the registry of the Leaning Tower, plus the solemn promise that the next time students hung a banner they would ask permission.

The banner was smuggled up to the top of the tower in a suitcase by Pete Jurney, the two 200-foot ropes inside the coats of students Trina Johnson and John Huber. They were lowered by four people. Jurney, Huber, Dave Steinhart and Skip Matthews.

There was another group of divertors for the guard at the top and for the curious tourists who thought someone was going to scale the tower. A pair of students secured both banner and ropes at each level.

A BUS carrying 38 Stanfordites arrived in Pisa at 2 p.m., and they were joined shortly thereafter by six who came by car and one who hiked the distance from Florence to Pisa in three and one-half hours.

"Operation Tower" was completed successfully in bright sunlight by 3:30 p.m. The Lean Pi Tow Com idea was originally conceived by the Rally Commission and Olivia Barclay, a junior, before she left Stanford last year, and was arrived at independently several weeks ago by Ken Bishop, president of the Florence Center.

The banner itself, the product of 12 hours of painting and blocking, was prepared by Penny Ingram on the hall floor of the Villa in Florence.
Daily photo by Ken Veronda A NEW PACE IS WRITTEN IN THE ANNALS OF BIG CAME Italian guards thought banner carried a political slogan

https://archives.stanforddaily.com/1960/11/01?page=1

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - Phogge - 11-21-2020

Stanford has to contend with a good TE and two quick pass receivers. Also the refs need to call holding on their spec teams since Remigio had two TD runbacks called back. Garbers takes most of his snaps in Musgrave's T and didn't run much. Cal has a good secondary but didn't have to defend giraffe jump balls.

I just don't see how Stanford wins but I think Stanford will win. At least there won't be any "Roll on you Bears."

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - winflop - 11-21-2020

(11-21-2020, 05:21 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  WEll, it will be 0-2 Stanford against 0-2 Cal, fresh off their 31-27 loss to *checks notes* OSU.  Has Big Game ever been played between a winless Stanford and a winless Cal?

BC

With today's overtime rules that's true, but I rememnber 1988 when Stanford and Cal both had 1-6 conference records and the game ended in a tie.

Tuan.
Van.
Le.

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - Giants - 11-22-2020

BC

No.  One cumulative win is the closest (1960).  Cal was 1-7-1 and Stanford was 0-9.  Cal won.

(11-21-2020, 07:08 PM)winflop Wrote:  

BC

With today's overtime rules that's true, but I rememnber 1989 when 1-6 Stanford played 1-6 Cal and the game ended in a tie.

Tuan.
Van.
Le.

1988 (the game was at Cal).  Stanford was 3-6-1 coming into the game and Cal was 5-5.

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - Farm93 - 11-22-2020

It's Sunday AM, so we have ~120 hours left to go?
Therefore this is an easy prediction, and unquestionably the single most likely outcome.

So I will take that one!
No Contest - COVID Related Cancellation

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - Embo - 11-22-2020

(11-22-2020, 09:06 AM)Giants Wrote:  
(11-21-2020, 07:08 PM)winflop Wrote:  With today's overtime rules that's true, but I remember 1989 when 1-6 Stanford played 1-6 Cal and the game ended in a tie.

Tuan.
Van.
Le.

1988 (the game was at Cal).  Stanford was 3-6-1 coming into the game and Cal was 5-5.

Just a little history lesson here.  If you thought David Shaw's conservative playcalling at the end of regulation in the Fiesta Bowl was painful and without precedent, well, you're wrong.  This was the end of the 1988 Big Game:

Stanford has the ball deep in its own territory, score 19-19, with minutes left on the clock.
QB Jason Palumbis is hit as he throws.  The resulting pass is a high floater, easily picked off and run back to around the 20, if memory serves.
cal then drives the ball down to the 3.  
I do recall at least 30 seconds left, and I'm pretty certain that cal had more than one TO left, because i was puzzled then as to why Bruce Snyder was letting the clock run down and not try to punch it into the end zone.  He called time out for the one FG attempt.
The rest is history.  And Snyder never did beat Stanford while at cal.

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - Giants - 11-22-2020

(11-22-2020, 12:57 PM)Embo Wrote:  
(11-21-2020, 07:08 PM)winflop Wrote:  With today's overtime rules that's true, but I remember 1989 when 1-6 Stanford played 1-6 Cal and the game ended in a tie.

Tuan.
Van.
Le.

Just a little history lesson here.  If you thought David Shaw's conservative playcalling at the end of regulation in the Fiesta Bowl was painful and without precedent, well, you're wrong.  This was the end of the 1988 Big Game:

Stanford has the ball deep in its own territory, score 19-19, with minutes left on the clock.
QB Jason Palumbis is hit as he throws.  The resulting pass is a high floater, easily picked off and run back to around the 20, if memory serves.
cal then drives the ball down to the 3.  
I do recall at least 30 seconds left, and I'm pretty certain that cal had more than one TO left, because i was puzzled then as to why Bruce Snyder was letting the clock run down and not try to punch it into the end zone.  He called time out for the one FG attempt.
The rest is history.  And Snyder never did beat Stanford while at cal.

Cal did have more than one TO.  My recollection is that Cal failed to move the ball to the middle of the field by having the QB run sideways and fall down (using one of the TO’s).  Instead they tried the FG from a severe angle giving Le a good chance at the block (which he, of course, did).  Hence the tie or as our friends in the Ivy League once so famously said, Harvard beats Yale 29-29.  In this case, Stanford beats Cal 19-19.

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - Mick - 11-23-2020

BC

With today's overtime rules that's true, but I rememnber 1989 when 1-6 Stanford played 1-6 Cal and the game ended in a tie.

Tuan.
Van.
Le.

That was my favorite big game.  I was in the 12th row, Cal section and was close enough to watch Le block the kick.  Holy hannah, what a great sight and the glorious dejection of thousands of overly lubricated ursine fans.  Great, great day.

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - winflop - 11-23-2020

BC

No.  One cumulative win is the closest (1960).  Cal was 1-7-1 and Stanford was 0-9.  Cal won.

BC

Tuan.
Van.
Le.

Edited. Pretty sure both teams had 1-6 conference records because I lost a big bet over that game. We stipulated that if neither team won 2 conference games both of us lost. I had to put a Cal license plate frame on my brand new Mustang GT and my friend had to sing the Dirty Golden Bear

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - Giants - 11-23-2020

(11-23-2020, 08:07 PM)winflop Wrote:  

BC

BC

Tuan.
Van.
Le.

Edited. Pretty sure both teams had 1-6 conference records because I lost a big bet over that game. We stipulated that if neither team won 2 conference games both of us lost. I had to put a Cal license plate frame on my brand new Mustang GT and my friend had to sing the Dirty Golden Bear

www.jhowell.net has the records of every season played by college teams dating back to the early 20th C.  That was my source.  Check it out.

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - ADPinWDC - 11-26-2020

(11-21-2020, 05:44 PM)cardcrimson Wrote:  

BC
Don't bet on it. . . .

Ask it the other way round:  When was the last time BOTH teams came in with JUST TWO LOSSES or better?

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - Snorlax94 - 11-27-2020

Maybe I am just in denial but I tell myself Stanford actually is a good team when it’s remotely healthy and its key players are on the field (and have had a chance to actually practice).

So after that absurd testing issue with Mills and maybe having enough players healthy, against a Cal team that may be a bit shorthanded this week, if Stanford really is a good team when healthy, this one shouldn’t be close.

Because it’s Big Game Stanford better start fast, they should always go for it, they should never take their foot off the gas, and they should never turtle. I’m picking 41-20.

RE: 2020 Big Game Prediction Thread - Mick - 11-27-2020

(Yesterday, 09:30 PM)ADPinWDC Wrote:  Ask it the other way round:  When was the last time BOTH teams came in with JUST TWO LOSSES or better?

Chuck Taylor's first season, 1951.  Stanford was ranked #4 and was 9-0 (wins over SJSU, SCU, Wash, WSU, USC, UCLA, Oregon, OSU and Michigan).  Cal was ranked #19 and was 7-2 (losses to USC & UCLA, wins over SCU, Penn, Minn, WSU, OSU, Wash, oregon).  Cal beat Stanford 20-7.  

Stanford ended up losing to Illinois in the Rose Bowl, 40-7.