The CardBoard
Cal game today - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Cal game today (/showthread.php?tid=20941)

Cal game today - lex24 - 11-21-2020

Fans being what they are I suspect over on the Cal boards folks are  blasting the coaching staff for various play calls, decisions etc. But when you have (1) an 85 yard punt return for TD called back by penalty. (2) A short punt after that penalty (to own 35) leading to a quick OSU TD (3) a KO return to the OSU 3 also called back by penalty.  Again backing you inside your own 10 and (4) a blocked punt late in the game giving OSU the ball around the 15 leading to their winning TD.  
Well, I’m saying this was decided by your not so special teams.

RE: Cal game today - OutsiderFan - 11-21-2020

What a quintessentially typiCAL ending to that game.

Yes, Cal fans are all ready to put coach heads on pikes, but the truth is they had to play without a ton of players on offense and were playing 4 OL that didn't play against UCLA, for most of the game. All things considered, they played pretty well, mistakes like mentioned notwithstanding.

You don't see mind numbingly stupid game management decisions from Wilcox, and contrary to what Cal fans think, the schemes and play calling is not why they lose. 

Who the hell knows what will happen this Friday. Maybe the game will be canceled. Maybe one team will be playing without 8 key players.

lex24 - lex24 - 11-21-2020

(11-21-2020, 08:03 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  What a quintessentially typiCAL ending to that game.

Yes, Cal fans are all ready to put coach heads on pikes, but the truth is they had to play without a ton of players on offense and were playing 4 OL that didn't play against UCLA, for most of the game. All things considered, they played pretty well, mistakes like mentioned notwithstanding.

You don't see mind numbingly stupid game management decisions from Wilcox, and contrary to what Cal fans think, the schemes and play calling is not why they lose. 

Who the hell knows what will happen this Friday. Maybe the game will be canceled. Maybe one team will be playing without 8 key players.

Wow, you mean their offensive line is beat up. Gee, can’t recall when that happened at Stanford.

Fans are more forgiving of other teams coaches.  If Stanford had lost this game in this way people would be screaming about how the special teams coaching has dropped so precipitously. It’s just the nature of the beast

RE: lex24 - Goose - 11-21-2020

(11-21-2020, 08:07 PM)lex24 Wrote:  Fans are more forgiving of other teams coaches.  If Stanford had lost this game in this way people would be screaming about how the special teams coaching has dropped so precipitously. It’s just the nature of the beast
Exactly so.

RE: Cal game today - BostonCard - 11-21-2020

They can't do that to our coaches; only we can do that to our coaches.

BC

RE: Cal game today - Spiny_Norman - 11-21-2020

(11-21-2020, 08:03 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  What a quintessentially typiCAL ending to that game.

So did they lose because of execution issues?

RE: Cal game today - OutsiderFan - 11-21-2020

(11-21-2020, 09:42 PM)Spiny_Norman Wrote:  

So did they lose because of execution issues?

Well, if you chalk up getting a pass batted in the air and intercepted from inside the opponent 10 with less than a minute to go in the game, trailing by 4, and then allowing 12 and 65 yard runs, with 3 timeouts left, poor execution, then probably.

RE: lex24 - Giants - 11-22-2020

(11-21-2020, 08:07 PM)lex24 Wrote:  

Wow, you mean their offensive line is beat up. Gee, can’t recall  when that happened at Stanford. 

Fans are more forgiving of other teams coaches.  If Stanford had lost this game in this way people would be screaming about how the special teams coaching has dropped so precipitously. It’s just the nature of the beast

OL - 1 injury; 1 COVID; 2 contact tracing (per the Chronicle)

lex24 - lex24 - 11-22-2020

(11-21-2020, 09:08 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  They can't do that to our coaches; only we can do that to our coaches.

BC

An added bonus is the horse looks like Traveller......

RE: Cal game today - PVTree - 11-22-2020

I'm just wondering where the Axe will be transferred to Stanford's Axe Committee.

RE: Cal game today - Goose - 11-22-2020

(11-22-2020, 04:57 AM)PVTree Wrote:  I'm just wondering where the Axe will be transferred to Stanford's Axe Committee.
Will they wipe it down after the transfer?

RE: Cal game today - Farm93 - 11-22-2020

Cal has Stanford's problem - SF Bay Area health regulations that make practicing difficult.

I have no problem with COVID rules limiting football in an attempt to improve public safety, but it is hard to watch Pac-12 games in empty stadiums right after watching games in the SEC with bands and attendance at ~25-40% of capacity.

As hard as they are to watch as a fan, I can only imagine how hard the Pac-12 games are to play.  And I am probably not accounting for the impact of the campus differences.  Some schools in the FBS have on-campus classes, but most of the Pac-12 players spend their days watching classes and lectures on computer monitors.

It is a tough time to be a Pac-12 student-athlete, so I just hope they all stay healthy so they can enjoy a more normal-ish season in 2021.

lex24 - lex24 - 11-22-2020

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/sage-sausage-and-apple-dressing-recipe-1941694
(11-22-2020, 03:05 PM)Farm93 Wrote:  Cal has Stanford's problem - SF Bay Area health regulations that make practicing difficult.

I have no problem with COVID rules limiting football in an attempt to improve public safety, but it is hard to watch Pac-12 games in empty stadiums right after watching games in the SEC with bands and attendance at ~25-40% of capacity.

As hard as they are to watch as a fan, I can only imagine how hard the Pac-12 games are to play.  And I am probably not accounting for the impact of the campus differences.  Some schools in the FBS have on-campus classes, but most of the Pac-12 players spend their days watching classes and lectures on computer monitors.

It is a tough time to be a Pac-12 student-athlete, so I just hope they all stay healthy so they can enjoy a more normal-ish season in 2021.

Words we can all appreciate and hope that we all have.  Well said.