The CardBoard
Men's gymnastics has a virtual meet - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Men's gymnastics has a virtual meet (/showthread.php?tid=21570)

Men's gymnastics has a virtual meet - BostonCard - 02-18-2021

https://gostanford.com/news/2021/2/17/mens-gymnastics-cardinal-defeats-no-9-navy.aspx

We beat Navy, in a "virtual meet".

Also, we beat Cal.

BC

RE: Men's gymnastics has a virtual meet - Spiny_Norman - 02-18-2021

The team started the year being routed by William & Mary. Stanford had to compete shorthanded and only scored 306.65 points. This pulled their average team score down so far that their national ranking is currently 14th out of the 14 schools that sponsor men's gymnastics.

RE: Men's gymnastics has a virtual meet - Treefence - 02-18-2021

(02-18-2021, 02:22 PM)Spiny_Norman Wrote:  The team started the year being routed by William & Mary. Stanford had to compete shorthanded and only scored 306.65 points. This pulled their average team score down so far that their national ranking is currently 14th out of the 14 schools that sponsor men's gymnastics.

Are we missing anyone due to Olympic training, or is it just injuries?

RE: Men's gymnastics has a virtual meet - Spiny_Norman - 02-18-2021

(02-18-2021, 08:46 PM)Treefence Wrote:  
(02-18-2021, 02:22 PM)Spiny_Norman Wrote:  The team started the year being routed by William & Mary. Stanford had to compete shorthanded and only scored 306.65 points. This pulled their average team score down so far that their national ranking is currently 14th out of the 14 schools that sponsor men's gymnastics.

Are we missing anyone due to Olympic training, or is it just injuries?

I assume that the William & Mary situation was either a result of Covid exposure or mandatory quarantine when team members returned to campus at different times with perhaps an injury or two thrown in. The write up said that the team was missing 9 gymnasts for that meet and one of the 5 remaining gymnasts became injured during the competition.

Does not seem to have been an issue since then. I counted 10 gymnasts in the box scores for the meets vs. Cal and Navy.

Two seniors have opted out for the season. And Stanford's best all around gymnasts Brandon Briones and Brody Malone are listed on the roster but have not competed yet so I don't know their status.

RE: Men's gymnastics has a virtual meet - akiddoc - 02-18-2021

One of the issues for the team is that many of the guys had insufficient training over the last 6 months. Gymnastics requires a longterm training schedule that cannot be shortchanged. Trying to compete too early in the training cycle invites injury. The top performer for Stanford so far this year is Riley Loos. He had access to a gym throughout the pandemic. (I have pretty good sources.) He is from the Sacramento area. He had a 14.50 rings routine yesterday which is by far the top rings routine in the country this year. 

Several Stanford gymnasts who would be bit players are being forced into major roles by the absence of Malone and Briones. I do not know the reason for their non-participation, but we should know a lot more next weekend. Winter Cup is next weekend and Briones has to compete and place highly to have any shot at the Olympic team. Brody Malone is on the USA National team and he might have a bye into the Olympic Trials. Freshman Colt Walker, the number one recruit in the country has not competed either. He's on the USA Junior National team but that does not get you into the Olympic trials. If they compete at Winter Cup, they are healthy and ready to compete. If not they are likely sitting out the season. 

If those three guys were competing, we would have the number one team in the country. Easily. Oklahoma is solid but not at that level.

Each team is allowed 15 gymnasts per competition. Trying to compete with 10 guys is difficult.

RE: Men's gymnastics has a virtual meet - akiddoc - 02-22-2021

Riley Loos appears to be Stanford's only entry in the Winter Cup. This leads me to believe that Briones is either injured or taking the year off. Malone might be skipping the meet and still going to the Olympic trials. Colt Walker not listed either. I don't know what is up with him.

New info on the Stanford team: 

https://twitter.com/SyqueCaesar

Briones, Walker and Malone were all going to compete at Winter Cup. They all flew back due to the various weather related problems in Texas. They are now going to have to quarantine. Malone has decided to opt back in to the NCAA season.

NCAA Championship Meet qualifying averages the second, third and fourth highest scores of the year with the conference championship score. The W&M meet won't count.