The CardBoard
WBB: Pac 12 transfers - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: WBB: Pac 12 transfers (/showthread.php?tid=21828)

WBB: Pac 12 transfers - BobK - 04-07-2021

6-0 soph Koi Love from Vandy to Arizona.  Vandy had a short season but Love averaged 21 points and 9 rebounds

Shelly and Chavez on the portal out of Oregon

RE: WBB: Pac 12 transfers - 81alum - 04-07-2021

Wow, Bob, those would be two gigantic losses for Oregon.  Do you have any insight as to why they are leaving?

Is it my imagination or does Graves lose more than his fair share of players to transfer?

RE: WBB: Pac 12 transfers - BobK - 04-07-2021

Poa Poa ahead of them ?
Bigby come in?

RE: WBB: Pac 12 transfers - Lorcan - 04-07-2021

It’s Pao Pao, I believe. 

In any case, for Taylor Chavez, I wonder if her departure has anything to do with the family issues that occurred during the season causing her to leave the team along with her injury challenges this year. Seems logical that she might want to play closer to home. As for Jazzy Shelly, I’d say that the lack of playing time this year or even as a go to in the tournament was writing on the wall that her situation wasn’t really going to get better if she couldn’t get more time with Pao Pao out.

RE: WBB: Pac 12 transfers - 81alum - 04-08-2021

I would think that the pattern at Oregon might create some uncertainty and mistrust among recruits.  If you accept a scholarship to Oregon, you have less of an idea how much playing time you might actually get than typically you would, since Graves is constantly bringing in transfers.  Of course Pao Pao was not a transfer.  But again, when joining an program that attracts elite recruits, you never know if what looks like a promising college career will flip when your school lands someone even better than yourself.

At Stanford there are two factors that militate against that.  First, WBB has almost no record of incoming transfers (Brooke Smith being the exception, as I recall--and she was admitted and offered in the prior year.)  Second, it has an academic degree that is worth a whole lot more than a typical school--which encourages students to finish their degree rather than to transfer.  Thus Thompson, Sniezek, Carrington, Moschkau, and Dodson all graduated before transferring, and Rooks transferred to an Ivy.

RE: WBB: Pac 12 transfers - Hulk01 - 04-08-2021

(04-07-2021, 05:30 PM)81alum Wrote:  Wow, Bob, those would be two gigantic losses for Oregon.  Do you have any insight as to why they are leaving?

Is it my imagination or does Graves lose more than his fair share of players to transfer?

Shelley and Chavez averaged over 36 combined minutes per game.  With Boley (25 plus) graduating, that's a game-and-a-half of playing time that the Ducks need to replace.  Without three of their top eight, they'll be good but not as deep.

I'd say Shelley and Chavez aren't transferrin.  They're fleeing.

RE: WBB: Pac 12 transfers - 2006alum - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 06:47 AM)Hulk01 Wrote:  
(04-07-2021, 05:30 PM)81alum Wrote:  Wow, Bob, those would be two gigantic losses for Oregon.  Do you have any insight as to why they are leaving?

Shelley and Chavez averaged over 36 combined minutes per game.  With Boley (25 plus) graduating, that's a game-and-a-half of playing time that the Ducks need to replace.  Without three of their top eight, they'll be good but not as deep.

Replacing Ionescu, Hebard, and Sabally Sr. was never going to be easy, but I will say, the product Oregon put on the court last season was often a mess, even when they were winning. They just had a lot more talent than almost every team they faced, but the whole rarely equalled the sum of the parts. And even Graves, to his enduring credit, admitted he was still figuring out what to do with this team. To me, the central problem was that they were rudderless in leadership. Though Boley was the senior elder stateswoman, she clearly did not want to take on that role. Nyara seemed to assume the mantle of team leader most often, but this was her first season on the floor, and the 5 is not the natural position to lead an offense. Pao Pao, who I think will eventually be the core of a new Ducks team, was also in her first season playing. I also think Mikesell showed some signs of it at times, but she too was in her first season in a Ducks uniform. 

A mess. But still a lot of talent if he can figure out how to lead his troops into battle. One more reminder at just how good Tara is at shaping her offensive schemes around her players - Graves seemed totally unprepared to have to move away from a perimeter shooting and pick-and-roll focused offense.

RE: WBB: Pac 12 transfers - BobK - 04-08-2021

Not a transfer per se but Jamie Carey is a finalist for the Montana head coaching job. Also an Oregon and Oregon state assistant

RE: WBB: Pac 12 transfers - CompSci87 - 04-08-2021

Quote:Pao Pao

Oregon's roster spells it as one word, Paopao.

RE: WBB: Pac 12 transfers - Grad Fan - 04-08-2021

Oregon State also seeing a lot of action with Sasha Goforth and Savannah Samuel transferring so not much left of last year's freshman class. With Aleah Goodman declaring for the draft and Jasmine Simmons going back to Australia that is a lot of turnover.

RE: WBB: Pac 12 transfers - Spiny_Norman - 04-08-2021

Bob - another one for your tracker. UCLA gets IImar’I Thomas from Cincinnati as a grad transfer. She was one of the best players in program history. Averaged 23.7 ppg this past season and was the American Athletic Conference PoY. A 5'10" forward.

RE: WBB: Pac 12 transfers - BostonCard - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 09:45 AM)CompSci87 Wrote:  
Quote:Pao Pao

Oregon's roster spells it as one word, Paopao.

Either way, though, it wasn't "Poa Poa".

BC

(04-08-2021, 10:08 AM)Spiny_Norman Wrote:  Bob - another one for your tracker. UCLA gets IImar’I Thomas from Cincinnati as a grad transfer. She was one of the best players in program history. Averaged 23.7 ppg this past season and was the American Athletic Conference PoY. A 5'10" forward.

That seems a bit small for a forward.  Jenna Brown is 5'10" and Hannah Jump and the Hulls are 6'0" for comparison.

BC

(04-08-2021, 07:37 AM)2006alum Wrote:  
(04-08-2021, 06:47 AM)Hulk01 Wrote:  

Replacing Ionescu, Hebard, and Sabally Sr. was never going to be easy, but I will say, the product Oregon put on the court last season was often a mess, even when they were winning. They just had a lot more talent than almost every team they faced, but the whole rarely equalled the sum of the parts. And even Graves, to his enduring credit, admitted he was still figuring out what to do with this team. To me, the central problem was that they were rudderless in leadership. Though Boley was the senior elder stateswoman, she clearly did not want to take on that role. Nyara seemed to assume the mantle of team leader most often, but this was her first season on the floor, and the 5 is not the natural position to lead an offense. Pao Pao, who I think will eventually be the core of a new Ducks team, was also in her first season playing. I also think Mikesell showed some signs of it at times, but she too was in her first season in a Ducks uniform. 

A mess. But still a lot of talent if he can figure out how to lead his troops into battle. One more reminder at just how good Tara is at shaping her offensive schemes around her players - Graves seemed totally unprepared to have to move away from a perimeter shooting and pick-and-roll focused offense.

Not a surprise given the roster turnover from graduation, and the challenges in this pandemic season from COVID-19.  This is the sort of thing that you would expect to be much better next year, though with more roster turnover it may again be challenging.

BC