The CardBoard
Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest (/showthread.php?tid=21987)

Pages: 1 2 3

Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - mbdude - 05-31-2021

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-womens-open-2021-rachel-heck-can-an-amateur-win-at-olympic-club/amp

RE: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - Hurlburt88 - 06-01-2021

getting great publicity!   Coincidentally, her father is a good friend of my brother--great guy/great familyi

RE: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - winflop - 06-01-2021

Didn't know she was in AFROTC. Kudos to Coach Walker for letting her pursue that, despite the impact on her time.

Could be a career challenge down the road? On the flipside, maybe an indication that she's not planning to turn pro anytime soon

RE: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - SamuelMcF - 06-01-2021

(06-01-2021, 10:48 AM)winflop Wrote:  On the flipside, maybe an indication that she's not planning to turn pro anytime soon

IIRC she did an interview in which it was pretty plainly stated she's spending all 4 years here.

RE: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - BostonCard - 06-01-2021

Heck is quickly becoming one of my favorite current Stanford athletes.

BC

RE: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - mbdude - 06-01-2021

Heck said (interview during NCAAs)  she picked AirForce because they will allow you to play a pro sport while in reserves. Not planning on active duty from what I understood

RE: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - Goose - 06-01-2021

(06-01-2021, 12:34 PM)mbdude Wrote:  Not planning on active duty from what I understood
Lots of people don't "plan" on active duty. Events often have other ideas. If one does join the reserves, it is necessary to realize that you may get called up when you least expect it. This has happened to lots of people. Don't assume you won't be one of them.

RE: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - 76lsjumb - 06-01-2021

(06-01-2021, 01:50 PM)Goose Wrote:  
(06-01-2021, 12:34 PM)mbdude Wrote:  Not planning on active duty from what I understood
Lots of people don't "plan" on active duty. Events often have other ideas. If one does join the reserves, it is necessary to realize that you may get called up when you least expect it. This has happened to lots of people. Don't assume you won't be one of them.

This is just wild speculation, but I’m guessing that Ms. Heck has probably figured that out. Indeed, if there’s any sport that would teach you the lesson that things don’t always work out as planned, it would surely be golf...

RE: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - 82lsju - 06-01-2021

(06-01-2021, 02:10 PM)76lsjumb Wrote:  
(06-01-2021, 01:50 PM)Goose Wrote:  

This is just wild speculation, but I’m guessing that Ms. Heck has probably figured that out. Indeed, if there’s any sport that would teach you the lesson that things don’t always work out as planned, it would surely be golf...

from the article that started this thread

Quote:One of the main reasons I chose Air Force is because they have a program for professional athletes,” said Heck. “They’ll fully support you, and you can play your sport.”

Heck, a freshman who plans to study political science with a focus on international relations, went on to explain that she’d serve in the Air Force Reserve one weekend a month while on the LPGA and might “occasionally get deployed for a couple months.”

RE: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - winflop - 06-01-2021

"Stacy [Rachel's mom] says there’s zero chance that Rachel leaves Stanford early."

I love the sound of that!

RE: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - Hulk01 - 06-01-2021

(06-01-2021, 12:16 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  Heck is quickly becoming one of my favorite current Stanford athletes.

BC

Seconded.  With Cameron Brink and Lexie Hull, and a soft spot from Aline Krauter.  Alyssa Jerome in there.

RE: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - oldalum - 06-02-2021

I agree, and for me one of the most best examples she provides is that both her enjoyment of her sport and her level of play increased greatly once she stopped focusing so much on it and became engaged in also developing other aspects of her person and life, most notably becoming a part of something larger than herself and providing service to her country. The correlation of mental health and athletic performance is too often overlooked. And the opportunity to compete at a high level athletically and seek excellence in academic and other pursuits is probably the strongest appeal of Stanford for student-athletes and also a large reason for my interest in and support of Stanford athletics and student-athletes. We like and support our athletes for more than just the trophies we want them to bring to the campus.

RE: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - mbdude - 06-02-2021

Another article about Heck. Some info repeated but also speaks to a prior experience at Olympic Club

Heck's next challenge: the U.S. Women's Open (amateurgolf.com)

RE: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - paloalto - 06-03-2021

US Open thru 17 holes Rachel Heck tied for 63rd at +4.  Could drop farther down board as many players still in early holes.

RE: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - bbm233 - 06-03-2021

Unless the course plays harder for the afternoon wave, Heck's +4 will be pretty far down the leaderboard. About 2/3 of the morning wave scored better. She will probably need to shoot at least par, if not slightly under, to make the cut tomorrow. Teammate Aline Krauter shot +5 for the day. Future teammates Rose Zhang (current world #1 amongst amateurs) and Megha Ganne (HS junior but pledged to Stanford) are in the afternoon wave today. None of our LPGA alums appear to have qualified (Lee, Valenzuela, Stackhouse).

RE: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - old spanish trail - 06-03-2021

(06-03-2021, 02:42 PM)bbm233 Wrote:  Unless the course plays harder for the afternoon wave, Heck's +4 will be pretty far down the leaderboard. About 2/3 of the morning wave scored better. She will probably need to shoot at least par, if not slightly under, to make the cut tomorrow. Teammate Aline Krauter shot +5 for the day. Future teammates Rose Zhang (current world #1 amongst amateurs) and Megha Ganne (HS junior but pledged to Stanford) are in the afternoon wave today. None of our LPGA alums appear to have qualified (Lee, Valenzuela, Stackhouse).

(06-03-2021, 02:42 PM)bbm233 Wrote:  Unless the course plays harder for the afternoon wave, Heck's +4 will be pretty far down the leaderboard. About 2/3 of the morning wave scored better. She will probably need to shoot at least par, if not slightly under, to make the cut tomorrow. Teammate Aline Krauter shot +5 for the day. Future teammates Rose Zhang (current world #1 amongst amateurs) and Megha Ganne (HS junior but pledged to Stanford) are in the afternoon wave today. None of our LPGA alums appear to have qualified (Lee, Valenzuela, Stackhouse).
I think Zhang is about +2. Ganne is tied for lead at -4 so far!!!!!!

RE: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - 76lsjumb - 06-03-2021

In a few years, with Heck, Zhang, and Ganne, we should have #1, #2, and #3 on the team covered pretty well...

RE: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - 76lsjumb - 06-03-2021

Ganne had a Stanford ball marker clipped to her cap during the post-round TV interview.  Good to see...

RE: Womens Golf: Rachel Heck article Golf Digest - winflop - 06-03-2021

Still some players on the course finishing Round 1

Ganne -4  T1
Zhang +3 T64
Heck +4  T79
Krauter +5 T99

mtaguchi@yahoo.com - Griffins78 - 06-03-2021

Megha Ganne is THE story of the U.S. Women’s Open. So articulate during the interviews after the round. Great personality. Solid and confident with nerves of steel. They’re raving about her maturity and game.