The CardBoard
URGENT: Malware from link in "Matt Gaetz" post - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: URGENT: Malware from link in "Matt Gaetz" post (/showthread.php?tid=22019)

URGENT: Malware from link in "Matt Gaetz" post - M T - 06-09-2021

Don't follow that link.

Immediately after following that link, I got what was supposedly a "Malware detected" notification, and then one about a VPN (my phone doesn't normally have VPN turned on).
I will try to contact an admih.

RE: URGENT: Malware from link in "Matt Gaetz" post - admin - 06-09-2021

Thanks very much. The post was reported and deleted, and the poster has been banned.

RE: URGENT: Malware from link in "Matt Gaetz" post - M T - 06-09-2021

More detail:  I was using an iPhone to read the CARDboard.  Upon clicking on that link, I got what appeared to be a notification with an icon similar to the gear shape of Settings, which said "Malware detected" with a button "Fix".

I figured that never-before-seen notification might be malware itself.  So I clicked away from it, and immediately saw a screen with something about a VPN (maybe to install a VPN).    (I rarely run my phone on a VPN.)

As soon as I could I powered off my phone and am researching what to do next.

From my laptop, I posted a new thread to warn readers away from that link as quickly as I could. There were at least 14 views of that thread.
At the time:
Users browsing this forum: fullmetal, La Jetee, M T, MVDan, OutsiderFan, premovirde, sunnyside sudser, YellowRiver15, 1 Invisible User(s), 13 Guest(s)

RE: URGENT: Malware from link in "Matt Gaetz" post - MVDan - 06-09-2021

Thanks for the info, MT. Fortunately, I did not click on the link. I was suspicious about it as well.

RE: URGENT: Malware from link in "Matt Gaetz" post - OutsiderFan - 06-09-2021

As soon as I saw the post, for several reasons I knew it was not something to take seriously, but opened it to learn more about what a fraudster might post for future wisdom. I did not click the link. Instead, searched on the subject of the post to confirm my suspicion:

https://www.google.com/search?q=matt+gaetz+witness+dead&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS825US825&oq=matt+gaetz+witness+dead&aqs=chrome..69i57.18693j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

As soon as I saw all the fan forums that came up - not any legit stories corroborating the post title - it was clear the link was for ill-intent and would be deleted from the board shortly. Never click links unless you know something about them or can trust the person providing them.

RE: URGENT: Malware from link in "Matt Gaetz" post - gailtate - 06-09-2021

Who on this board would be interested in ANYTHING connected to Gaetz? That is, who would OWN UP to being interested?  I mean, I view this board as one of the properties online that's an oasis in a depressing wilderness of ciphers such as that guy. Sheesh.

(06-09-2021, 01:57 PM)gailtate Wrote:  Who on this board would be interested in ANYTHING connected to Gaetz? That is, who would OWN UP to being interested?  I mean, I view this board as one of the properties online that's an oasis in a depressing wilderness of ciphers such as that guy. Sheesh.

That's the goal, anyway.

I received an automated message from the member who reported the post. Irrespective of it being malware, the topic was not appropriate, so I was going to delete the thread. However, I also noticed that the poster had only one post and that the poster had registered the same day, so I immediately banned the spammer and then removed the thread.

Lesson: please report all inappropriate messages.

Please do not post links to malware even if it's for the purposes of illustration.

Thank you.

RE: URGENT: Malware from link in "Matt Gaetz" post - Snorlax94 - 06-09-2021

Why was my post deleted?

RE: URGENT: Malware from link in "Matt Gaetz" post - Phogge - 06-09-2021

Who is Gaetz? What is a VPN?

RE: URGENT: Malware from link in "Matt Gaetz" post - Nan3cy - 06-09-2021

(06-09-2021, 06:21 PM)Phogge Wrote:  Who is Gaetz? What is a VPN?

What is the internet?

RE: URGENT: Malware from link in "Matt Gaetz" post - Snorlax94 - 06-09-2021

If
(06-09-2021, 11:25 AM)M T Wrote:  More detail:  I was using an iPhone to read the CARDboard.  Upon clicking on that link, I got what appeared to be a notification with an icon similar to the gear shape of Settings, which said "Malware detected" with a button "Fix".

I figured that never-before-seen notification might be malware itself.  So I clicked away from it, and immediately saw a screen with something about a VPN (maybe to install a VPN).    (I rarely run my phone on a VPN.)

As soon as I could I powered off my phone and am researching what to do next.

From my laptop, I posted a new thread to warn readers away from that link as quickly as I could.  There were at least 14 views of that thread.
At the time: