The CardBoard
Transfer portal isn't a thing this year - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Transfer portal isn't a thing this year (/showthread.php?tid=22021)

Transfer portal isn't a thing this year - CardinalSagehen - 06-09-2021

It's true that, in general, the transfer portal is going to be a one-way street for Stanford.  Fortunately, almost nobody took that street this year, even though all players had the option without having to sit out a year.  (By the way, I think the one transferee in the graphic is Pakola, who actually decided to come back.  There were also a couple other non-starters that skipped the season and ended up elsewhere - Boles and Head.)

My theories are that ( a ) guys value the degree; ( b ) the coaching staff keeps its commitments (no pushing-out of non-grads); and ( c ) the culture is stable, professional, and not abusive.

This doesn't necessarily translate into W's on the field. But if Stanford is unable to draw from the portal, we at least have to minimize unwanted attrition to the portal.

RE: Transfer portal isn't a thing this year - martyup - 06-09-2021

That is pretty amazing.  For most, getting into Stanford is like winning the lottery.  It seems that almost all of the football athletes share this opinion.  Thanks for posting.

RE: Transfer portal isn't a thing this year - oldalum - 06-09-2021

that chart seems like a good recruiting tool for us

RE: Transfer portal isn't a thing this year - SamuelMcF - 06-09-2021

This year's "portal entrants" were guys who declared for the NFL with zero prospects and a year of eligibility left.

RE: Transfer portal isn't a thing this year - Phogge - 06-10-2021

I would wager that many of the guys who transferred made their former coaches happier.

RE: Transfer portal isn't a thing this year - CardinalSagehen - 06-10-2021

(06-09-2021, 11:17 PM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  This year's "portal entrants" were guys who declared for the NFL with zero prospects and a year of eligibility left.

The important distinction is that they had all graduated or were on-track to graduate.  I consider that a successful outcome.  What made this year different was that non-grads could transfer without penalty, and that everyone had another year of eligibility due to Covid.  

Graduates don’t owe another year of their lives for our entertainment.  This is particularly true for a player with zero NFL prospects. 

Recall for a moment that they are unpaid amateur athletes, for better or worse… they are basically going to be poor students and forego professional earnings and career advancement for another year by continuing to play, especially if they can’t be admitted into a suitable grad program at Stanford.  

When I graduated from college, as a non-athlete, I was a bit nostalgic but dying to get out into the world and start making money.

I don’t think you actually disagree with any of this.  You’re just pointing out that we lost some players that theoretically had more eligibility (in some cases solely due to Covid.)

RE: Transfer portal isn't a thing this year - SamuelMcF - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 08:46 AM)CardinalSagehen Wrote:  
(06-09-2021, 11:17 PM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  This year's "portal entrants" were guys who declared for the NFL with zero prospects and a year of eligibility left.

The important distinction is that they had all graduated or were on-track to graduate.  I consider that a successful outcome.  

They don’t owe another year of their lives for our entertainment.  This is particularly true for a player with zero NFL prospects. 

Recall for a moment that they are unpaid amateur athletes, for better or worse… they are basically going to be poor students and forego professional earnings and career advancement for another year by continuing to play, especially if they can’t be admitted into a suitable grad program at Stanford.  

When I graduated from college, as a non-athlete, I was a bit nostalgic but dying to get out into the world and start making money.

While I agree, last year we had something like 10 grad transfers who all counted as "portal entrants." It's still attrition with eligibility remaining.

RE: Transfer portal isn't a thing this year - CardinalSagehen - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 09:01 AM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  While I agree, last year we had something like 10 grad transfers who all counted as "portal entrants." It's still attrition with eligibility remaining.

I remember and agree that 2020 retention was not as rosy.  This year boiled down to Wedington and Sarell, in my view.  And it was counter-balanced by great retention of other 5th- and 6th-year players in positions of need. 

Happily Drafted:
Little, Mills, Adebo, Dalman, Fehoko

5th-Year Seniors in 2020 (would have been 6th-years in 2021):
"Declared for NFL" - Antoine, Harrington, Toner, Schaffer, Robinson
Actually Returned for 6th year (!) - Maddox, J. Fox, Sanders

Undrafted 4th Year Seniors in 2020:
"Declared for NFL" - Wedington, Sarell, St. Brown (or retired?)
Returned for 5th Year (!) - N. Williams, Keck, R. Johnson, Heimuli, DWP, Fisk, G. Reid

RE: Transfer portal isn't a thing this year - BostonCard - 06-11-2021

There's a difference between "still wanted to play football at a collegiate level... just not at Stanford", and "done with college football and moving to the next stage of life".  Sure, the impact is the same (the players will not be playing football at Stanford), but you certainly can't blame someone for not wanting to spend their sixth year in college (or even their fifth year).

BC

RE: Transfer portal isn't a thing this year - oldalum - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 12:17 AM)BostonCard Wrote:  you certainly can't blame someone for not wanting to spend their sixth year in college (or even their fifth year).
No, but oh, the foolishness of youth!

RE: Transfer portal isn't a thing this year - CardinalSagehen - 06-11-2021

(06-09-2021, 11:15 PM)oldalum Wrote:  that chart seems like a good recruiting tool for us

Somebody agrees!