The CardBoard
student athlete early enrollment pilot - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: student athlete early enrollment pilot (/showthread.php?tid=22025)

Pages: 1 2

student athlete early enrollment pilot - 82lsju - 06-11-2021

Quote:Faculty Senate approves early admission pilot for student-athletes

Under a three-year pilot program approved by the Faculty Senate on Thursday, student-athletes will be able to enroll early at Stanford and begin studying during winter or spring quarter.
The admission change approved by the senate is likely to apply primarily to football players and will provide them with more flexibility in balancing their educational and professional aspirations. In the past, student-athletes have been admitted only as part of the regular first-year student cohort.

The flexible enrollment program means that Stanford’s admission process for potential athletes will be brought into line with those institutions with which the university generally competes for recruits

https://news.stanford.edu/today/2021/06/11/faculty-senate-approves-early-admission-pilot-for-student-athletes/?utm_source=Stanford+Report&utm_campaign=d712b0f4e3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2021_06_10_03_19&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_29ce9f751e-d712b0f4e3-52343633

RE: student athlete early enrollment pilot - BobK - 06-11-2021

Actually this could affect many spring sports. Interesting

RE: student athlete early enrollment pilot - OutsiderFan - 06-11-2021

If there is ANY good to come from Covid, some of it applies to Stanford becoming more flexible on this issue, as well as early Official Visits. So many things became virtual from pandemic that forever changed how we think about location and time vis-a-vis work and school.

RE: student athlete early enrollment pilot - needle - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 07:51 AM)BobK Wrote:  Actually this could affect many spring sports.  Interesting

Could..but will it?

From the linked article:

Quote: [font="Source Serif Pro", "Times New Roman", Times, serif]The admission change approved by the senate is likely to apply primarily to football players and will provide them with more flexibility in balancing their educational and professional aspirations.[/font]

Anyway, I'm just glad that early enrollees can start school in winter quarter. Very happy with the change overall.

RE: student athlete early enrollment pilot - paloalto - 06-11-2021

This goes directly against the grain of the original Stanford charter.  One of the directives was that all freshmen start at the same time and must reside on campus to obtain the best college experience.  I guess having a good football team is more important than that now.

It almost seems like Stanford is slightly conflicted about whether it is a sports factory or an institution focused on academics.

I'm ambivalent about the change.  It probably will attract a few additional recruits and make some sports teams slightly better with a few freshmen having slightly more experience training with their future teammates.

Palo alto that hasn't been true for close to 20 years. WBB reports for summer school, Football and MBB followed.

RE: student athlete early enrollment pilot - SamuelMcF - 06-11-2021

27/52 of our offered recruits last year who went elsewhere enrolled early. That's incredibly significant. I know for a fact we've lost out on studs for this reason.

RE: student athlete early enrollment pilot - TrumpCard - 06-11-2021

In other news, Stanford ditches horse-and-buggies for golf carts.

(06-11-2021, 08:35 AM)BobK Wrote:  Palo alto that hasn't been true for close to 20 years.  WBB reports for summer school, Football and MBB followed.

Yes, they report to summer school.  I know some WVB players took a few summer classes before the fall quarter.   I know a few non-athletes who took summer classes before the fall quarter.     But all those students were considered freshmen for academic purposes entering into the fall quarter and were an inclusive part of that year's class.

Do you know of student athletes who enrolled at Stanford the winter or spring quarter before their freshman year? There may be a few but to my knowledge there would have been some unusual extenuating circumstances.

RE: student athlete early enrollment pilot - SamuelMcF - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 11:02 AM)paloalto Wrote:  
(06-11-2021, 08:35 AM)BobK Wrote:  Palo alto that hasn't been true for close to 20 years.  WBB reports for summer school, Football and MBB followed.

Yes, they report to summer school but IMO that is not starting early.  I know some WVB players took a few summer classes before the fall quarter.   I know a few non-athletes who took summer classes before the fall quarter.     But all those students were considered freshmen for academic purposes entering into the fall quarter and were an inclusive part of that year's class.

Do you know of student athletes who enrolled at Stanford the winter or spring quarter before their freshman year? There may be a few but to my knowledge there would have been some unusual extenuating circumstances.

I'm sure the early enrollees will still be considered freshmen for academic purposes and be an inclusive part of the class. (I do wonder how many classes Patu and Slocum are taking, though.)

RE: student athlete early enrollment pilot - BostonCard - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 09:16 AM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  27/52 of our offered recruits last year who went elsewhere enrolled early. That's incredibly significant. I know for a fact we've lost out on studs for this reason.

And I've been ok with that.  Changing a policy because "we've lost out on studs for this reason" is not a good reason to change the policy.

I think we are going to face a reckoning in the next ten years about Stanford's identity.

BC

RE: student athlete early enrollment pilot - 82lsju - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 10:44 AM)TrumpCard Wrote:  In other news, Stanford ditches horse-and-buggies for golf carts.

golf carts have been around since at least 1981, I had one on campus when I dislocated my ankle in an IM soccer game (yes I was fouled).  I lived off campus at the time so had to plug it in overnight on an extension cord from a friends dorm room.  I think they have upgraded them since then to these....

[Image: Golf_cart_drag_racing2.jpg?w=800]

(06-11-2021, 11:04 AM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  
(06-11-2021, 11:02 AM)paloalto Wrote:  

Yes, they report to summer school but IMO that is not starting early.  I know some WVB players took a few summer classes before the fall quarter.   I know a few non-athletes who took summer classes before the fall quarter.     But all those students were considered freshmen for academic purposes entering into the fall quarter and were an inclusive part of that year's class.

I'm sure the early enrollees will still be considered freshmen for academic purposes and be an inclusive part of the class. (I do wonder how many classes Patu and Slocum are taking, though.)

So student athletes who enroll in winter quarter prior to their freshman year would be freshmen for five quarters (or six quarters if you include the intervening summer quarter)?

RE: student athlete early enrollment pilot - Papa John - 06-11-2021

Isn't class standing determined by the number of units a student has earned? 45 units for sophomore standing, 90 for junior standing, 135 for senior standing.

RE: student athlete early enrollment pilot - 82lsju - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 11:09 AM)BostonCard Wrote:  
(06-11-2021, 09:16 AM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  27/52 of our offered recruits last year who went elsewhere enrolled early. That's incredibly significant. I know for a fact we've lost out on studs for this reason.

And I've been ok with that.  Changing a policy because "we've lost out on studs for this reason" is not a good reason to change the policy.

I think we are going to face a reckoning in the next ten years about Stanford's identity.

BC

if they are going to allow early enrollment it should be open to all not just athletes.

RE: student athlete early enrollment pilot - DC 86 - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 11:52 AM)Papa John Wrote:  Isn't class standing determined by the number of units a student has earned? 45 units for sophomore standing, 90 for junior standing, 135 for senior standing.
Social class year and academic class standing are two different things.

RE: student athlete early enrollment pilot - TrumpCard - 06-11-2021

Maybe this is semantics, but I would not really call it starting freshman year early. I would call it 1 quarter late because, when the recruits arrive on campus, they will be expected to enroll in classes with the kids a year ahead of them. It’s not that athletes will have this big advantage over their cohort who graduates in June. It’s that the athletes may have trouble competing academically with the students who are a year ahead. To ameliorate that issue, I would consider extra academic requirements for athletes who want to enroll early to help them avoid failure. But social maturity may be less of an issue with the number of kids who “redshirt” at very young ages now, as many of these athletes will 19 y/o during their senior year of high school.

RE: student athlete early enrollment pilot - Goose - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 11:57 AM)82lsju Wrote:  
(06-11-2021, 11:09 AM)BostonCard Wrote:  

BC

if they are going to allow early enrollment it should be open to all not just athletes.
I believe that this must be the case, by rule. Athletes cannot receive preferential treatment unrelated to their actual athletic needs. Early enrollment is an academic, not athletic issue. I am sure the NCAA would see it that way, and even if they don't, somebody would sue the university over it, I'm sure. Just another layer in the can of worms.

So about 40-50 non athletes have been enrolling for summer school the past 12 years ???

RE: student athlete early enrollment pilot - Goose - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 03:01 PM)BobK Wrote:  So about 40-50 non athletes have been enrolling for summer school the past 12 years ???
No idea, but if they want to do so and are admitted I would expect the University would have a hard time saying no given that they allow athletes to enroll early in summer classes. However, as I am sure you are aware lots of high school students actually attend Stanford and take classes that count for college credit during the summer even though they are not admitted to Stanford. So, in effect, the answer is yes, you can take classes during the summer before you actually start school. It may be a technicality whether you are doing so as an admitted student or a summer student.

There is also the issue that is faced by the athletes as well, namely that what is available in the summer is limited, and if you want to take a particular class it may not be offered or it may fill up before you can get in. That does happen, and then you are stuck with with you can get.