The CardBoard
UCLA kickoff 3pm PT on Sat 25 Sept 2021 - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: UCLA kickoff 3pm PT on Sat 25 Sept 2021 (/showthread.php?tid=22271)

Pages: 1 2

UCLA kickoff 3pm PT on Sat 25 Sept 2021 - 82lsju - 09-13-2021

Game on Pac-12 Network

UCLA game - CowboyIndian - 09-13-2021

3:00 pm....on the Pac-12 Network. Huh??

RE: UCLA game - BostonCard - 09-13-2021

Well, I think 3 pm is the sweet spot for game time.  Soccer games should be finished by then.  One can tailgate a lunch and go into the stadium and enjoy the game as the temperature cools, then, should we win, go out for a celebratory dinner (or, go out to drown out sorrows, should the outcome not be desired).  Plus, it is during prime time in East Coast, so it is a chance to showcase the team... on Pac-12 network, LOL.  So, no one will see it anyways.

BC

RE: UCLA game - 82lsju - 09-13-2021

the other Pac-12 games that weekend

- WSU@Utah 11:30am PT Pac-12N
- Cal@UW 6;30pm PT Pac-12N
- UA at Oregon 7:30pm PT ESPN
- Colorado@ASU 7:30pm PT on ESPNU
- OSU@USC 7:30pm PT on FS1

given the other time slots I'm OK with 3pm...

RE: UCLA kickoff 3pm PT on Sat 25 Sept 2021 - OutsiderFan - 09-13-2021

UCLA at Stanford is one of the marquee games of the season. UCLA might be 3-0 and Stanford 2-1, with both teams having wins over Top 25 teams. How does the conference allow that game to be seen by nobody?

RE: UCLA kickoff 3pm PT on Sat 25 Sept 2021 - 82lsju - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 11:59 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  UCLA at Stanford is one of the marquee games of the season. UCLA might be 3-0 and Stanford 2-1, with both teams having wins over Top 25 teams. How does the conference allow that game to be seen by nobody?

well it looks like ESPN and FOX think more people will watch either Oregon or USC given my assumption that they get first pick of the games....not sure what the conference can do about that...

RE: UCLA kickoff 3pm PT on Sat 25 Sept 2021 - TriangleTree - 09-13-2021

Given it's the only PAC12 game at that time slot, I guess what they're betting on is that any non-PAC12 game is preferred at that time.
Hey, maybe the PAC12 Network will get a few more subscribers...

RE: UCLA kickoff 3pm PT on Sat 25 Sept 2021 - teejers1 - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 11:59 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  UCLA at Stanford is one of the marquee games of the season. UCLA might be 3-0 and Stanford 2-1, with both teams having wins over Top 25 teams. How does the conference allow that game to be seen by nobody?

Stanford and UCLA both need to win for game to have maximum draw (duh!).  That's no gimme.
I like Stanford's chances (though nothing is a given); but Fresno State will be a tough out for UCLA.  
The Bulldogs are just a tough bunch . . . but Chip may have something special going in LA, too.
Should be interesting.

RE: UCLA kickoff 3pm PT on Sat 25 Sept 2021 - newguy - 09-13-2021

for what it's worth, if both teams win on Saturday, i think it's possible that another network will pick up the game, and change the kickoff time.

RE: UCLA kickoff 3pm PT on Sat 25 Sept 2021 - chrisk - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 01:35 PM)newguy Wrote:  for what it's worth, if both teams win on Saturday, i think it's possible that another network will pick up the game, and change the kickoff time.

It's too late for that. This is a 12-day window week.

It's also possible that the Pac-12 made the pick, possibly with some influence from Muir.

Pac-12 has some priority rights in the media deals and does not always pick last.

RE: UCLA kickoff 3pm PT on Sat 25 Sept 2021 - Farm93 - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 01:35 PM)newguy Wrote:  for what it's worth, if both teams win on Saturday, i think it's possible that another network will pick up the game, and change the kickoff time.
If that scenario was likely the Pac-12 would have kept this game, and likely another game in the TBD category.   The conference often is rather open about the variables too.   If Stanford and UCLA win on Sept 18 2021 then the game will be on (insert network), if not the game will be on Pac-12 Nets.

That type of option is common, but once the times are announced they are usually final. 

Stanford is not really under CFP consideration so I am more than happy to see a game in the late afternoon at least once this season.   If there are any good plays they are more likely to appear in ESPN highlights with this kick time and that probably is more important than having the full game on FS1 at 7:30PM with the first 30 minutes lost because of yet another Big12 game going beyond their scheduled timeslot.

RE: UCLA kickoff 3pm PT on Sat 25 Sept 2021 - BostonCard - 09-13-2021

Again, I'm not understanding the complaints; 3 PM is by far the best time of day to watch the game.  Who cares about who the carrier is going to be; we're not going to be a playoff team and we don't have any Voldemort hopefuls, so the lack of exposure doesn't matter that much.  If watching Stanford games is important to you, get the Pac-12 networks (get sling if your cable company doesn't have it).

Or better yet, go to the game.

BC

RE: UCLA kickoff 3pm PT on Sat 25 Sept 2021 - paloalto - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 12:15 PM)TriangleTree Wrote:  Given it's the only PAC12 game at that time slot, I guess what they're betting on is that any non-PAC12 game is preferred at that time.
Hey, maybe the PAC12 Network will get a few more subscribers...

There's a solution for that.  Just keep winning.  Winning in future years against top non-conference opponents and ESPN will come knocking at the door.

Does anybody have actual numbers to show that 7:30pm on ESPU or FS1 will draw more viewers than Pac-12 at 3pm?

ESPN would have more viewers but going with Oregon makes sense for them.

FOX does baseball after Big Noon Saturday, so they are not an option.

At 4pm, ABC and ESPN have highly-ranked Oklahoma and Florida so that are not options for the late afternoon slot.

RE: UCLA kickoff 3pm PT on Sat 25 Sept 2021 - Farm93 - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 02:02 PM)chrisk Wrote:  Does anybody have actual numbers to show that 7:30pm on ESPU or FS1 will draw more viewers than Pac-12 at 3pm?
Anything on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, Fox or FS1 will have more viewers than anything on the Pac-12 Net because the Pac-12 Net has a bit of a reach problem.   Also those not super loyal to a conference are more likely to watch anything on the national network first.   I find myself watching BigTen, ACC or SEC games on ESPN or Fox, but I can't recall the last time I went to see a game on any of those networks that did not involve a Pac-12 team.

The Pac-12 Nets really has three time slots
1) 11:30/Noon
2) 3:00/3:30/4:00
3) 7:30/8:00

Of those three options the 3/3:30/4 PM time slot is by far the best.   The competition in the time slot is brutal, so the ratings will not be great.   But it is great for the student-athletes (home and away), great for the fans in the stands, and best for getting highlights on wrap up shows.

Those that don't have the Pac-12 Nets by now have blown past any contract terms for the provider they had when Pac-12 Nets was launched.   So that means those fans long ago decided some element of those providers was more important to them than Pac-12 Nets.   

I only have my content provider because it offers the Pac-12 Nets, and I am thrilled with the Pac-12 Nets as it provides extensive coverage of Stanford sports.   The Pac-12 Nets has a bit of a bias towards teams ranked in the top 20 nationally and that bias means one gets to see Stanford teams and the Stanford campus multiple times each week.   If any set of alums should be happy with the Pac-12 Nets it should be Stanford alums because a number of schools are really only on the Pac-12 nets when they get thrashed by Stanford teams on the Stanford campus.

(09-13-2021, 02:43 PM)Farm93 Wrote:  
(09-13-2021, 02:02 PM)chrisk Wrote:  Does anybody have actual numbers to show that 7:30pm on ESPU or FS1 will draw more viewers than Pac-12 at 3pm?
Anything on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, Fox or FS1 will have more viewers than anything on the Pac-12 Net because the Pac-12 Net has a bit of a reach problem.   Also those not super loyal to a conference are more likely to watch anything on the national network first.   I find myself watching BigTen, ACC or SEC games on ESPN or Fox, but I can't recall the last time I went to see a game on any of those networks that did not involve a Pac-12 team.

The Pac-12 Nets really has three time slots
1) 11:30/Noon
2) 3:00/3:30/4:00
3) 7:30/8:00

Of those three options the 3/3:30/4 PM time slot is by far the best.   The competition in the time slot is brutal, so the ratings will not be great.   But it is great for the student-athletes (home and away), great for the fans in the stands, and best for getting highlights on wrap up shows.

Those that don't have the Pac-12 Nets by now have blown past any contract terms for the provider they had when Pac-12 Nets was launched.   So that means those fans long ago decided some element of those providers was more important to them than Pac-12 Nets.   

I only have my content provider because it offers the Pac-12 Nets, and I am thrilled with the Pac-12 Nets as it provides extensive coverage of Stanford sports.   The Pac-12 Nets has a bit of a bias towards teams ranked in the top 20 nationally and that bias means one gets to see Stanford teams and the Stanford campus multiple times each week.   If any set of alums should be happy with the Pac-12 Nets it should be Stanford alums because a number of schools are really only on the Pac-12 nets when they get thrashed by Stanford teams on the Stanford campus.

This is all true, but be careful about lumping ESPU and FS1 in with their big brothers. I was referring to those 2 which were the theoretically available slots at 10:30pm ET. While the footprint of Pac-12 Networks is smaller than ESPNU and FS1, the people who have Pac-12 Networks are predominantly in the West and more likely to be interested in Pac-12 Networks (because in many cases they made a conscious decision to subscribe). Given the better time slot available on Pac-12 Network, particularly compared to the 10:30PM ET time slot, in the East where many of the excess ESPNU and FS1 subscribers are located, and the differce is viewwership is not as great as some people might imagine.

RE: UCLA kickoff 3pm PT on Sat 25 Sept 2021 - needle - 09-13-2021

UCLA plays Fresno State on the Pac-12 Nets this Saturday (late game). 

https://www.dailynews.com/2021/09/12/whats-next-for-ucla-football-fresno-state/

I personally think there's zero chance the conference somehow lobbied for 13th-ranked UCLA to appear before very, very limited audiences two weeks in a row, but I am not a conspiracy theorist.

RE: UCLA kickoff 3pm PT on Sat 25 Sept 2021 - OutsiderFan - 09-14-2021

(09-13-2021, 01:46 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  Again, I'm not understanding the complaints; 3 PM is by far the best time of day to watch the game.  Who cares about who the carrier is going to be; we're not going to be a playoff team and we don't have any Voldemort hopefuls, so the lack of exposure doesn't matter that much.  If watching Stanford games is important to you, get the Pac-12 networks (get sling if your cable company doesn't have it).

BC

This isn't complicated and it isn't about me. If the Pac-12 wants its teams to compete in college football, they must be on real TV that people can get with their basic TV service. When you have match-ups featuring marquee brands in your conference, you get them on TV so they can be seen by the vast majority of the total available market.

Not getting UCLA-Stanford on for the whole country to see (after they beat Top 20 teams) is a total failure of the Pac-12 to properly market its product.

RE: UCLA kickoff 3pm PT on Sat 25 Sept 2021 - chrisk - 09-14-2021

(09-14-2021, 06:14 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  
(09-13-2021, 01:46 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  Again, I'm not understanding the complaints; 3 PM is by far the best time of day to watch the game.  Who cares about who the carrier is going to be; we're not going to be a playoff team and we don't have any Voldemort hopefuls, so the lack of exposure doesn't matter that much.  If watching Stanford games is important to you, get the Pac-12 networks (get sling if your cable company doesn't have it).

BC

This isn't complicated and it isn't about me. If the Pac-12 wants its teams to compete in college football, they must be on real TV that people can get with their basic TV service. When you have match-ups featuring marquee brands in your conference, you get them on TV so they can be seen by the vast majority of the total available market.

Not getting UCLA-Stanford on for the whole country to see (after they beat Top 20 teams) is a total failure of the Pac-12 to properly market its product.

You may be missing the fact that this week’s game times and TV assignments were set 3 months ago. In any case, ESPN has ASU and another ranked team (BYU) in that time slot.
UCLA vs a CA state college is a perfect game for a West Coast network.

RE: UCLA kickoff 3pm PT on Sat 25 Sept 2021 - martyup - 09-14-2021

BC

After having been a subscriber to Sling for a few months last winter, I have settled on FUBO TV as my provider.  I get all the sports channels (including Pac-12) and 1000 hours of DVR.  I can simultaneously record as many games/shows as I want and watch them at my leisure.  It's great for college football.  Time is the only limit to how many games I can see.  I fast forward through the commercials and between snaps to speed up game viewing.  It is well worth the subscription fee.