The CardBoard
Clay Helton Fired - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Clay Helton Fired (/showthread.php?tid=22273)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Clay Helton Fired - threepointer - 09-13-2021

https://twitter.com/search?q=clay+helton+fired&ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Esearch

Darn - I was hoping he would hang on for a couple more years.

RE: Darn - Clay Helton Fired - terry - 09-13-2021

L.A. Times article --

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/story/2021-09-13/clay-helton-fired-usc-football-coach

RE: Darn - Clay Helton Fired - crackpot - 09-13-2021

Not as much fun as the firing of Lane Kiffin, but here's to getting opposing coaches fired!

RE: Darn - Clay Helton Fired - CardinalSagehen - 09-13-2021

Maybe we can seize the moment to flip some USC recruits?  And close on David Bailey?

It's the nature of competition, right?  It feels a bit evil, but I don't think anyone is doing a young man any harm by convincing him to choose Stanford over USC.

RE: Darn - Clay Helton Fired - PVTree - 09-13-2021

I hope Chris Petersen is not yearning for a return to the sidelines.

Is Jack del Rio available? How about Jeff Fisher?

What if, what if... They get Harballs? Some in Michigan are tired of him. Would he jump at a new beginning with a "blue bloods"?

RE: Clay Helton Fired - gailtate - 09-13-2021

What wa$ hi$ buyout?
Anyone? Anyone?

RE: Clay Helton Fired - Mick - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 02:45 PM)gailtate Wrote:  What wa$ hi$ buyout?
Anyone? Anyone?

Rumor is $20 million.

RE: Clay Helton Fired - JustAnotherFan - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 02:47 PM)Mick Wrote:  
Anyone? Anyone?

Rumor is $20 million.

The only good thing (for us) in Helton's firing is that USC needs to waste money.

Wonder what the buyout is for Shaw? Not that he's at risk of getting fired.

RE: Clay Helton Fired - Spiny_Norman - 09-13-2021

Since USC loves to revel in past glory, I'll point out that John Robinson is still alive and probably could be available.

RE: Clay Helton Fired - chrisk - 09-13-2021

Other than Big Game, how many coaches have been fired within 2 days of losing to Stanford?

RE: Clay Helton Fired - teejers1 - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 03:01 PM)chrisk Wrote:  Other than Big Game, how many coaches have been fired within 2 days of losing to Stanford?

Which in itself is disrespectful of Stanford, isn't it?

We still are not held in very high regard in the CF World.

RE: Clay Helton Fired - BostonCard - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 03:07 PM)teejers1 Wrote:  
(09-13-2021, 03:01 PM)chrisk Wrote:  Other than Big Game, how many coaches have been fired within 2 days of losing to Stanford?

Well, what is the denominator of coaches fired mid-season (especially outside of USC)?

Moreover, isn't one of the reasons you fire a coach is that they lose to a team perceived as inferior?  Helton would likely not have been fired had he lost a game to Oregon.  It was precisely because we were not held in very high regard in the CF world (more specifically in the USC wolrd) that it led to Helton being fired.  Again, I doubt that Helton is fired if we had been a nationally ranked team fresh off a drubbing of KSU.

BC

RE: Clay Helton Fired - 82lsju - 09-13-2021

judging by some of the picks on last week's "pick the score" contest it would appear that quite a few here don't hold us in very high regard....

RE: Clay Helton Fired - needle - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 03:15 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  

Well, what is the denominator of coaches fired mid-season (especially outside of USC)?

Moreover, isn't one of the reasons you fire a coach is that they lose to a team perceived as inferior?  Helton would likely not have been fired had he lost a game to Oregon.  It was precisely because we were not held in very high regard in the CF world (more specifically in the USC wolrd) that it led to Helton being fired.  Again, I doubt that Helton is fired if we had been a nationally ranked team fresh off a drubbing of KSU.

BC

Yes, but you had USC heroes (gag) like Leinart and Keyshawn Johnson calling for Helton to be fired, basically. The students, I read, were booing at halftime. I think the main factor in the shock firing was that Helton just hadn't banked enough support to withstand any surprising negative result.

So, I don't think this firing says all that much about Stanford.

There's also the possibility that SC AD Bohn thinks he has a deal more or less in place (Bob Stoops? Eric Bieniemy?) though I kind of doubt it.

LOL (Ken's a Stanford guy).

BC

RE: Clay Helton Fired - TrumpCard - 09-13-2021

This is unfortunate news.  I have to think U$C will hire someone better.  As others have said, Helton has been barely good enough to hang on.  And even if the new coach ends up not being that great, he'll get a year or two of bumped up recruiting (is that even possible with U$C) because of the perception that he must be good in order to get this job.  I don't think this is an arrow up on the Bailey or Hagen recruitments, but I hope to be proven wrong.

RE: Clay Helton Fired - 76lsjumb - 09-13-2021

There’s always Ed (The Soprano) Orgeron…

(09-13-2021, 02:47 PM)Mick Wrote:  
Anyone? Anyone?

Rumor is $20 million.

So, are you saying  that, when Helton and Shaw hugged at midfield after the game, Shaw asked “What’s your deal?” and Helton replied “About $20 million…”  ?

(09-13-2021, 03:42 PM)TrumpCard Wrote:  This is unfortunate news.  I have to think U$C will hire someone better.  As others have said, Helton has been barely good enough to hang on.  And even if the new coach ends up not being that great, he'll get a year or two of bumped up recruiting (is that even possible with U$C) because of the perception that he must be good in order to get this job.  I don't think this is an arrow up on the Bailey or Hagen recruitments, but I hope to be proven wrong.

Well, of course the devil you don't know might be a better coach than the devil you do, but USC is like 0/4 in post-Carroll coaching decisions, so there's not much reason to think they will be better this time.

BC

RE: Clay Helton Fired - Phogge - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 03:24 PM)82lsju Wrote:  

judging by some of the picks on last week's "pick the score" contest it would appear that quite a few here don't hold us in very high regard....

A posty for the ages.

RE: Clay Helton Fired - jonnyss - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 03:15 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  

BC

yeah, they might have waited a week or 2 to see if we demolish our next 2 opponents as well. if we do, the decision will look misguided.