The CardBoard
WVB vs Nebraska - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: WVB vs Nebraska (/showthread.php?tid=22274)

Pages: 1 2

WVB vs Nebraska - BobK - 09-14-2021

Tonight at 5 on the Pac 12 channel or come to section 10 and say hi

We may well see Francis tonight. Maybe not L Smith yet

RE: WVB vs Nebraska - paloalto - 09-14-2021

First time Nebraska traveled to Maples since 1990.   Nebraska WVB has a big fan following.  Could be more Nebraska fans in Maples than Stanford fans.

RE: WVB vs Nebraska - mbdude - 09-14-2021

sami francis 3 kills 8 attempts 1st set. Stanford wins 25 to 19

RE: WVB vs Nebraska - Canalejas - 09-14-2021

Ouch.  Nebraska evens things with a 25-12 second set.

RE: WVB vs Nebraska - BostonCard - 09-14-2021

Second set is a disaster.  Nebraska takes it 25-12.  WE hit .121 for the set, and Francis now has more attack errors than kills.

BC

Stanford takes the third 25-21.  Let's finish them!

BC

Stanford wins 3-1 (25-19, 12-25, 25-21, 25-23).
I think we are now 3-2 in our murderers row of pre-season matches, with Louisville to go.

BC

RE: WVB vs Nebraska - 76lsjumb - 09-14-2021

(09-14-2021, 07:14 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  Stanford wins 3-1 (25-19, 12-25, 25-21, 25-23).
I think we are now 3-2 in our murderers row of pre-season matches, with Louisville to go.

BC

I think it’s Kentucky, but, hey, who’s counting… :-)

RE: WVB vs Nebraska - joemontes - 09-14-2021

(09-14-2021, 07:14 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  Stanford wins 3-1 (25-19, 12-25, 25-21, 25-23).

BC

That was a pretty decent 1st collegiate match for Sami FRANCIS, and against a Top 10 team.  And now we know that the sky's the limit for this starting OH1/OH2/RS combination of BAIRD, FRANCIS and KIPP.  

Incidentally, all three were ranked #2 nationally overall coming out of HS by either PrepVolleyball or VolleyballMag:
- 6'3 BAIRD was #2 (PrepVolleyball) and #3 (VolleyballMag) from the Class of 2019;
- 6'5 KIPP was #2 (VolleyballMag) and #3 (PrepVolleyball) from the Class of 2019;
- 6'6 FRANCIS was #2 (VolleyballMag) and #5 (PrepVolleyball) from the Class of 2021   

Combined with freshman setter MINER, the #4 (PrepVolleyball) and #5 (VolleyballMag) overall recruit from the Class of 2021, and with 6'5 MB Layla SMITH, the  #5 (PrepVolleybal and VolleyballMag) overall recruit and #1 MB from the Class of 2020, still to play her first collegiate match, the future really look bright for Stanford WVB.

RE: WVB vs Nebraska - BobK - 09-14-2021

Just an outstanding win and here comes Sami Francis. Stats are so great but what a difference she makes. Congrats to Baird hitting 480 or so and some great digs.
Really good crowd also.

RE: WVB vs Nebraska - Farm93 - 09-14-2021

The early season wins are going to help the get favorable tournament consideration.   The wins are also quite helpful for the SOS for all of the other Pac-12 teams.

I still don't think this team is playing much beyond the #6-#12 range, but that looks amazing compared to last year's situation.   Can't wait to see how this team progresses over the season.

RE: WVB vs Nebraska - johnbar - 09-14-2021

I don't know what happened in that second set.  Passing broke down, etc.

Nebraska scored more total points, but a great win for Stanford. 

I suspect Nebraska will move down in the standings more than Stanford will move up, but we might crack the top 10 soon.

RE: WVB vs Nebraska - fullmetal - 09-15-2021

Wins over Florida, Penn St, and Nebraska.  Losses to Texas and Minnesota.  Hey, if Texas and Minnesota run their tables, Stanford could potentially be the #3 team in the nation ;)

I don't really want to put money on that, but I would put money on this less-experienced team getting better and better as the season goes on.  I'm cautiously optimistic for a deep postseason run.  In Hambly I trust.

RE: WVB vs Nebraska - joemontes - 09-15-2021

(09-15-2021, 12:23 AM)fullmetal Wrote:  Wins over Florida, Penn St, and Nebraska.  Losses to Texas and Minnesota.  Hey, if Texas and Minnesota run their tables, Stanford could potentially be the #3 team in the nation ;)

I don't really want to put money on that, but I would put money on this less-experienced team getting better and better as the season goes on.  I'm cautiously optimistic for a deep postseason run.  In Hambly I trust.

I totally appreciate the valuable insights shared by former Stanford WVB coach Don Shaw on the play of the Stanford players, especially his observations on the setting connection between fellow freshmen setter MINER and OH/RS FRANCIS (with glaring emphasis on the need for a higher set) and the need for FRANCIS to add more variety to her shots.  Of course, both will definitely improve with time.

It is interesting to note that the match hitting % of freshmen FRANCIS and Nebraska's BATENHORST and KRAUSE - all three were Top 5 nationally ranked recruits from the Class of 2021 - were very similar, with FRANCIS (13/9/46) at .087,  BATENHORST (10/6/41) at .098,  KRAUSE (10/7/34) at .088

RE: WVB vs Nebraska - BostonCard - 09-15-2021

One of the things that surprised me is how often Miner went to Francis, even when she was struggling a bit.  I think Francis had more swings than any other Stanford player, so it is likely that the game plan was to feature Francis, which is saying something for a true freshman making her debut.

BC

RE: WVB vs Nebraska - BACardinal - 09-15-2021

Big credit to Lougeay & Beaven for their outstanding defense this year. Besides the second set tonight they have been outstanding. Probably the best DS combo I can recall at Stanford.

RE: WVB vs Nebraska - pefloresjr - 09-15-2021

Was great to be at a live Stanford sports event again.  I was impressed by Francis overall but she was clearly struggling to get into the flow for a while.  Having her in the rotation should make a big difference in determining how good this team can be.  If our timing and hitting had been a little better, the sets would not have been as close as they were.  Nebraska was great at digging and keeping rallies alive and seemed more in synch than Stanford's defense when doing so.  That is probably a sign of our young team and the fact that we were barely able to practice all of last year.  Bottom line, this team if much farther along at this point than I thought they would be.  Heck, even the band seemed to be really out of synch and messed up the playing of All Right Now after the game.  THAT was strange.  

Question for any volleyball experts out there.  Nebraska's players were all wearing leggings that went down to their knees underneath their knee pads.  I was wondering it that helps protect their legs above the pad and whether they are specially designed to help with sliding on the hardwood floors or some other advantage.  If there is a tech/equipment advantage, I would think we would use it too but maybe it is a new trend.  

Cheers,
Pete F.

RE: WVB vs Nebraska - paloalto - 09-15-2021

(09-15-2021, 09:17 AM)BACardinal Wrote:  Big credit to Lougeay & Beaven for their outstanding defense this year. Besides the second set tonight they have been outstanding. Probably the best DS combo I can recall at Stanford.

Neither Lougeay or Beaven were highly recruited prep players.  They both have been amazing thus far.

(09-15-2021, 06:35 AM)joemontes Wrote:  
(09-15-2021, 12:23 AM)fullmetal Wrote:  Wins over Florida, Penn St, and Nebraska.  Losses to Texas and Minnesota.  Hey, if Texas and Minnesota run their tables, Stanford could potentially be the #3 team in the nation ;)

It is interesting to note that the match hitting % of freshmen FRANCIS and Nebraska's BATENHORST and KRAUSE - all three were Top 5 nationally ranked recruits from the Class of 2021 - were very similar, with FRANCIS (13/9/46) at .087,  BATENHORST (10/6/41) at .098,  KRAUSE (10/7/34) at .088

Thanks for posting those stats.  Interesting Nebraska kept its two All-American OHs on the bench except as serving subs.  They decided to give the freshmen a chance to show what they can do without fear of being pulled out after a mistake.  It might have cost Nebraska the match.

I'm very optimistic about Francis for the long-term over a college career of four years.  Much more cautious for the short-term.  Here are my observations about Francis hitting in the Nebraska match:
1.) Slow hitting approach.
2.) Doesn't put nearly as much heat on the ball as Kipp and Baird.
3.) Had two short blockers against her during much of the match and wasn't able to go over top of them.
4.) Painfully unprepared at times for the speed of the college game.

When she gets to her senior year I expect Francis to be fantastic.  Right now I see an inexperienced freshman. 

During the middle of her freshman season Plummer tweaked her hitting technique and got much better at hitting sets outside her wheelhouse.   At a club tournament I asked Dunning if she figured it out herself or a coach worked with her.  Of course, he didn't give me a direct answer.  At 6'6" if Francis can optimize her hitting mechanics she will be trouble for opponents.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/volleyball/nebraska-volleyball-drops-second-straight-match-while-trying-new-lineup/article_465aedd9-79cf-55e4-beb4-c2dacff1211e.html

RE: WVB vs Nebraska - joemontes - 09-15-2021

(09-15-2021, 02:37 PM)paloalto Wrote:  
(09-15-2021, 09:17 AM)BACardinal Wrote:  Big credit to Lougeay & Beaven for their outstanding defense this year. Besides the second set tonight they have been outstanding. Probably the best DS combo I can recall at Stanford.

Neither Lougeay or Beaven were highly recruited prep players.  They both have been amazing thus far.

Thanks for posting those stats.  Interesting Nebraska kept its two All-American OHs on the bench except as serving subs.  They decided to give the freshmen a chance to show what they can do without fear of being pulled out after a mistake.  It might have cost Nebraska the match.

I'm very optimistic about Francis for the long-term over a college career of four years.  Much more cautious for the short-term.  Here are my observations about Francis hitting in the Nebraska match:
3.) Had two short blockers against her during much of the match and wasn't able to go over top of them.

When she gets to her senior year I expect Francis to be fantastic.  Right now I see an inexperienced freshman. 

During the middle of her freshman season Plummer tweaked her hitting technique and got much better at hitting sets outside her wheelhouse.   At a club tournament I asked Dunning if she figured it out herself or a coach worked with her.  Of course, he didn't give me a direct answer.  At 6'6" if Francis can optimize her hitting mechanics she will be trouble for opponents.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/volleyball/nebraska-volleyball-drops-second-straight-match-while-trying-new-lineup/article_465aedd9-79cf-55e4-beb4-c2dacff1211e.html

Just perused through Nebraska's current roster....I just found out that they also have the #1 overall recruit from the Class of 2021 in 6'0 setter Kennedi ORR, who did not play vs Stanford last night...and that's on top of #2 overall recruit in 6'4 OH KRAUSE, #3 overall recruit in 6'4 OH BATENHORST, #10 overall recruit in 5'5 Libero RODRIGUEZ, and #16 overall recruit in 6'2 OH LAURENSTEIN, who all started and played extensively for Nebraska vs Stanford...

WOW!  That (Nebraska's 2021 recruiting class) may be the best recruiting class ever to date, with #1, #2, #3, #10, and #16...compare that to Stanford's 2019 #1 recruiting class which had #2 (BAIRD), #3 (KIPP), #5 (XU), and #10 (VICINI) which is pretty close in terms of potential...

Also, all the while I thought MINER was the #1 ranked setter from the Class of 2021 as she came in as the #5 overall recruit....although, she was given the opportunity to be the setter for Stanford (unlike ORR who has to wait another year after HAMES graduates) and is playing like the #1 freshman setter and even considered by some as a Top 5 setter regardless of Class....  

RE: WVB vs Nebraska - Jamesy - 09-15-2021

(09-15-2021, 04:26 PM)joemontes Wrote:  
(09-15-2021, 02:37 PM)paloalto Wrote:  

Just perused through Nebraska's current roster....I just found out that they also have the #1 overall recruit from the Class of 2021 in 6'0 setter Kennedi ORR, who did not play vs Stanford last night...and that's on top of #2 overall recruit in 6'4 OH KRAUSE, #3 overall recruit in 6'4 OH BATENHORST, #10 overall recruit in 5'5 Libero RODRIGUEZ, and #16 overall recruit in 6'2 OH LAURENSTEIN, who all started and played extensively for Nebraska vs Stanford...

WOW!  That (Nebraska's 2021 recruiting class) may be the best recruiting class ever to date, with #1, #2, #3, #10, and #16...compare that to Stanford's 2019 #1 recruiting class which had #2 (BAIRD), #3 (KIPP), #5 (XU), and #10 (VICINI) which is pretty close in terms of potential...

Also, all the while I thought MINER was the #1 ranked setter from the Class of 2021 as she came in as the #5 overall recruit....although, she was given the opportunity to be the setter for Stanford (unlike ORR who has to wait another year after HAMES graduates) and is playing like the #1 freshman setter and even considered by some as a Top 5 setter regardless of Class....  

Was Stanford's 2019 class better than Plummer, Fitz, hentz, gray, Keefe and Keefe? Obviously in retrospect no, but curious about the recruiting rankings.