The CardBoard
Injury report for the WSU game - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Injury report for the WSU game (/showthread.php?tid=22409)

Pages: 1 2

Injury report for the WSU game - Spiny_Norman - 10-12-2021

From the Tuesday presser.

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - BostonCard - 10-12-2021

Why do I always open these with trepidation?  Good to see that Karty will be back, given that his back-up suffered a lets just call it "unusual" injury.

Losing Fisk will be a big problem for a depleted defensive line.  I didn't see Humphreys go out; he's our second leading receiver in terms of receptions (but fourth in terms of yards/game).

BC

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - needle - 10-12-2021

Humphreys was hurt bad enough late in the ASU game that he couldn’t make it to the sideline, as I recall. 

I actually think the coaches might be forced to gameplan differently with his absence. But I’d still expect a pass-heavy approach.

Fisk will also be missed, for sure.

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - slide - 10-12-2021

pretty thin at WR:  Higgins, (q) Farrell (2 catches), Starr (1 catch), Bowman and Raines have played WR for us this year.  Filkins can play WR too.

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - Phogge - 10-12-2021

Humphreys was hurt and then the broadcast went to a mini feature in-game that had nothing to do with the game. No mention by the troglodyte announcers about Humphreys when they came back on. Same problem with the Olympics. NBC has spent hundreds of millions on producing features (some to me) at the expense of covering events. You like the shotput? They show the winning throw and nothing else.

Fleming and Rodney hardly ever mentioned the name of the tacklers during the Oregon game. Brutal.

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - donkey687 - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 01:59 PM)slide Wrote:  pretty thin at WR:  Higgins, (q) Farrell (2 catches), Starr (1 catch), Bowman and Raines have played WR for us this year.  Filkins can play WR too.

We will play a lot of nickel with only 2 DL. WR shortage is more concerning than DL in my opinion. I think Archer will play a lot with Yurosek out in the slot. Symonds being out is just salt in the wounds as he was a pass catcher and good at the wheel route.  We will need to get creative on offense as WSU will focus on Higgins and Yurosek.

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - terry - 10-12-2021

So, now we are missing three of our top four wide receivers (Wilson, Tremayne, and Humphreys) and the #5 wide receiver is questionable (Farrell). And we can't run the ball worth a lick. Other than that, the offense is fine. Right?

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - 82lsju - 10-12-2021

depth chart posted

https://gostanford.com/documents/2021/10/12/2021_Stanford_Football_Depth_07_Washington_State.pdf

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - winflop - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 02:11 PM)terry Wrote:  So, now we are missing three of our top four wide receivers (Wilson, Tremayne, and Humphreys) and the #5 wide receiver is questionable (Farrell). And we can't run the ball worth a lick. Other than that, the offense is fine. Right?

And Hinton is still starting at RT...

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - Phogge - 10-12-2021

Turley goes down. Then the players start going down. Just a coincidence. LOL.

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - BostonCard - 10-12-2021

I just looked up Colorado's injury report.  Guess what, they have injuries too: two guys out for the season, two out indefinitely, and two who are questionable.  It could be worse, we could be Clemson:

E. Williams WR Ques Fri - Knee
F. Ladson Jr. WR Ques Fri - Undisclosed
F. Davis II CB Ques Fri - Undisclosed
J. Ross WR Prob Fri - Head
B. Galloway TE Prob Fri - Concussion
W. Taylor QB out for season - Knee
T. Stellato WR out for season - Redshirt
W. Shipley RB Out indefinitely - Knee
B. Bresee DL out for season - Knee
J. Williams OL out for season - Knee
T. Davis DT Mid Nov - Bicep
T. Johnson G out for season - Pectoral
D. Pennington OL out for season - Knee
L. Zanders S out for season - Shoulder

BC

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - teejers1 - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 06:52 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  I just looked up Colorado's injury report.  Guess what, they have injuries too: two guys out for the season, two out indefinitely, and two who are questionable.  

Colorado can get injuries, too; and Phogge's point about the team's strength and conditioning (and injuries) going into the toilet upon Turley's departure can also be true.  In fact, I think both are definitely true - and that there is a causal relation between Turley's departure and Stanford being a weaker, more injury-prone team.

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - old spanish trail - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 02:06 PM)Phogge Wrote:  Humphreys was hurt and then the broadcast went to a mini feature in-game that had nothing to do with the game. No mention by the troglodyte announcers about Humphreys when they came back on. Same problem with the Olympics. NBC has spent hundreds of millions on producing features (some to me) at the expense of covering events. You like the shotput? They show the winning throw and nothing else.

Fleming and Rodney hardly ever mentioned the name of the tacklers during the Oregon game. Brutal.

I thought it strange they didn't name any tacklers. Why would that happen? No spotter?

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - Phogge - 10-13-2021

There are too few really great play by play people. Fleming isn’t one of them. There are too many analysts who have the need to speak between each play. Or in Ron Darling’s case between each pitch. Mark Sanchez is one of the very worst. He butchered the Niner game Sunday and brought no insight. Then there are the guys on KNBR’s shows who don’t understand the difference between the responses “Good” and “Well.”

My Cal trained Classics and Comparative Lit spouse and member of the Grammar Police goes bonkers over sports announcers. She has a point.

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - CTcard - 10-13-2021

(10-13-2021, 05:54 AM)Phogge Wrote:  My Cal trained Classics and Comparative Lit spouse and member of the Grammar Police goes bonkers over sports announcers. She has a point.

You're just setting yourself up for frustration if you hope for sports announcers or commentary folks to have proper word usage or live outside of cliche-land.

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - BostonCard - 10-13-2021

Injuries are, by definition, stochastic.  While there is a very easy way to connect poor conditioning to injuries as a whole, and I can buy the thesis that Turley's departure led to increased injuries, there's a lot of "post hoc ergo propter hoc" going on.  I mean, it is hard to see how Bryson Tremayne's injury could have been avoided if only he was a bit stronger.  Even a doubling of the number of injuries from, say 4 to 8, could easily happen to due to chance.

We're human; we like to construct stories around why things happen, because unpredictability doesn't sit well.  The contribution that Turley has made to our (lack of) injuries is plausible, but the evidence of that is much more anecdotal than many would like to believe.  I doubt it would stand up to a rigorous analysis.

BC

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - slide - 10-13-2021

(10-13-2021, 07:24 AM)BostonCard Wrote:  Injuries are, by definition, stochastic.  While there is a very easy way to connect poor conditioning to injuries as a whole, and I can buy the thesis that Turley's departure led to increased injuries, there's a lot of "post hoc ergo propter hoc" going on.  I mean, it is hard to see how Bryson Tremayne's injury could have been avoided if only he was a bit stronger.  Even a doubling of the number of injuries from, say 4 to 8, could easily happen to due to chance.

We're human; we like to construct stories around why things happen, because unpredictability doesn't sit well.  The contribution that Turley has made to our (lack of) injuries is plausible, but the evidence of that is much more anecdotal than many would like to believe.  I doubt it would stand up to a rigorous analysis.

BC

are all injuries stochastic?  changes in hydration, diet, stretching and weight training have brought down the number of muscle pulls (i.e. hamstring) injuries.  preventive meaures can mitigate risk and make some injuries less random.

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - Phogge - 10-13-2021

Ah, we’re maybe dumb BC but not stupid. Of course an injury like Tremayne’s or Costello’s concussion can’t be attributed to conditioning or diet but Stanford is suffering a span of injuries that is unprecedented dating over multiple years.

In past seasons’knee injuries to Gary Pettigrew and John Winesberry affected the bottom line. Pettigrew the best defensive player on the team and Winesberry the best breakaway runner at Stanford in generations. However catastrophic season ending injuries were rare. Today, on this team they have become common. Same thing is happening on the Niners.

To the poster schooling me on not anticipating competence from sports announcers there is a threshold for ability in the craft positions in television. Sound, camera, edit, directing are directly affected by competence, creativity and professionalism. There is a saying that you are only as good as your last shoot. Ex-players like Sanchez are no longer schooled in grammar because the network doesn’t want to “offend” the poor guy. I cry Horseshit. Many need to go to Announcer’s School but their egos won’t allow it. They should listen to the Steve Young’s and the Jon Miller’s who mix proper language, knowledge and actual enthusiasm to their craft. Young’s 5pm talk with Tolbert on KNBR is a lesson in comprehensive analysis spoken with proper grammar.

It’s not that hard to study ways to better your delivery. We used to have a saying at State’s journalism department, “Got to start in Fargo.” It meant that you needed to start small at a remote station to take your lumps while you were learning what to do and what not to do. Now everyone has a smart device and wants to be Cecil B ‘de IPhone at age 22. I wonder if many play by play and expert analysts watch their air checks anymore.

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - gailtate - 10-13-2021

(10-13-2021, 05:54 AM)Phogge Wrote:  There are too few really great play by play people. Fleming isn’t one of them. There are too many analysts who have the need to speak between each play. Or in Ron Darling’s case between each pitch. Mark Sanchez is one of the very worst. He butchered the Niner game Sunday and brought no insight. Then there are the guys on KNBR’s shows who don’t understand the difference between the responses “Good” and “Well.”

My Cal trained Classics and Comparative Lit spouse and member of the Grammar Police goes bonkers over sports announcers. She has a point.

What Sanchez lacks in insight he tries to compensate for by screaming his comments. Which only emphasizes his incompetence. He reminds me of the imbecile in "Anchorman" played by Steve Carell. And don't get me started on the dim-wits who insist on "where he's at" instead of "where he is."

RE: Injury report for the WSU game - CowboyIndian - 10-13-2021

(10-12-2021, 10:01 PM)teejers1 Wrote:  Colorado can get injuries, too; and Phogge's point about the team's strength and conditioning (and injuries) going into the toilet upon Turley's departure can also be true. 

His last year here we had a ton of injuries, too, as I recall.