The CardBoard
OT: Is this what most fans really want? - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: OT: Is this what most fans really want? (/showthread.php?tid=22414)

Pages: 1 2

RE: OT: Is this what most fans really want? - Phogge - 10-14-2021

As a kid I was drawn to the gigantic wooden stadium, the music and card stunts and then to the entertainment. Stanford PASSED while everybody else was running single wing or split T running the ball. Pete Elliott at Cal used to kick a bunch on third down. BORING.

Of course I hated to lose but every May I would count down the days till September. I didn’t miss a game until I got stuck cowering with a camera in a jungle overseas. Throughout the years from Taylor to Cactus to Ralston to Chris to Walsh and beyond the entertainment was always there. And then there were Buddy and Wlat and gradually the pull dimmed. Then Harballs brought it all back again. Like an old lightbulb that flames brightly before it dies. 2019 was crushing. Even the Big Game was BORING. Apparently many agree because when we got a wide shot of the Oregon “crowd” I was shocked to see so many empty seats on a glorious day.

The ASU game wraps up how I feel now. Few real “athletes” on either side of the ball. Poor tackling, no run game, punt in opposition territory. I dozed during the second half. Poor plays and bad movies draw bad reviews. Curtains come down and the films move to Channel 20. What I saw last Friday night appeared to be a Wlat/Teevens team and very, very un-entertaining. Love the W’s but making three hours fun is more important. And from viewing two games from the boys across the Bay it’s not any better over there.

RE: OT: Is this what most fans really want? - CTcard - 10-14-2021

(10-13-2021, 02:56 PM)Snorlax94 Wrote:  I don't think this article necessarily applies to Stanford -- if this held true, the Pac-12 (the most evenly matched Power 5 conference where teams beat each other up every year) would have the highest attendance of the Power 5, but it has the lowest.

While it is hard to divine exactly what this study claimed to measure from the press article, it seems it is more along  the lines of a given team will have higher attendance for games where the outcome is uncertain, not necessarily useful for a team to team comparison.

And, most years the Pac 12 has been 4th among Power 5 conferences in attendance, ahead of the ACC. That seems to be slipping lately and the Pac 12 was behind the ACC in 2018 and 2019.

(10-13-2021, 02:19 PM)Mick Wrote:  I don't enjoy any game where I can leave at the end of the first quarter and know the outcome.

Well, I really enjoyed the 2016 Rose Bowl.

RE: OT: Is this what most fans really want? - gailtate - 10-14-2021

(10-14-2021, 10:16 AM)CTcard Wrote:  
(10-13-2021, 02:56 PM)Snorlax94 Wrote:  I don't think this article necessarily applies to Stanford -- if this held true, the Pac-12 (the most evenly matched Power 5 conference where teams beat each other up every year) would have the highest attendance of the Power 5, but it has the lowest.

While it is hard to divine exactly what this study claimed to measure from the press article, it seems it is more along  the lines of a given team will have higher attendance for games where the outcome is uncertain, not necessarily useful for a team to team comparison.

And, most years the Pac 12 has been 4th among Power 5 conferences in attendance, ahead of the ACC. That seems to be slipping lately and the Pac 12 was behind the ACC in 2018 and 2019.

(10-13-2021, 02:19 PM)Mick Wrote:  I don't enjoy any game where I can leave at the end of the first quarter and know the outcome.

Yup, so did lot of us. 2015 was really the last great season. 2017 was good (not great). Even the 2015 Northwestern game wasn't a total downer: I was at the Mauna Kea Hotel at the time--not bad circumstances to watch a downer game at O-dark-thirty. In the years since then, it's been a challenge to get accustomed to a modest apartment after enjoying years in a penthouse suite. Once you've been to the mountain top...
I just wish I had more confidence in Shaw replenishing what he inherited. The evidence is, shall we say, discouraging.

RE: OT: Is this what most fans really want? - JohnR34231 - 10-14-2021

(10-14-2021, 12:00 PM)gailtate Wrote:  

Yup, so did lot of us. 2015 was really the last great season. 2017 was good (not great). Even the 2015 Northwestern game wasn't a total downer: I was at the Mauna Kea Hotel at the time--not bad circumstances to watch a downer game at O-dark-thirty. In the years since then, it's been a challenge to get accustomed to a modest apartment after enjoying years in a penthouse suite. Once you've been to the mountain top...
I just wish I had more confidence in Shaw replenishing what he inherited. The evidence is, shall we say, discouraging.

I also wish I had more confidence that if Shaw were replaced by another coach, he would be able to replicate what Shaw did from 2011-2015.
Or even 2016-2018.

RE: OT: Is this what most fans really want? - gailtate - 10-14-2021

(10-14-2021, 12:15 PM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  

I also wish I had more confidence that if Shaw were replaced by another coach, he would be able to replicate what Shaw did from 2011-2015.
Or even 2016-2018.

Given that Shaw is probably good for another 15-20 years, actuarial science suggests that some of us on this board, including me, will never know.

lex24 - lex24 - 10-14-2021

(10-14-2021, 01:38 PM)gailtate Wrote:  
(10-14-2021, 12:15 PM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  

Or even 2016-2018.

Given that Shaw is probably good for another 15-20 years, actuarial science suggests that some of us on this board, including me, will never know.

Posty!

RE: OT: Is this what most fans really want? - Leftcoast - 10-14-2021

Hmmmmh .....  Stanford draws better on odd years (Cal, Oregon, Notre Dame, UCLA, Washington) than it does on even years (Oregon State, Wa St, etc) and it has little to do with greater suspense.   When I dedicate a day in-person viewing I want to watch games that are meaningful and the chance to beat a long term rival has great meaning.  (And we've done historically well in those games lately - even in this high beta year.)

Beating Oregon was worth 10 billion squashings of San Jose State, right?   And if we can squash the Leprechauns and Cal I'll forgive several losses to Arizona State.   

Oh, one more thing.  While the drama two weeks ago vs Oregon was exciting I like my wins over Cal to lack all drama and be of epic biblical rain of fire proportions and can we have the blue shirts turned into salt pillars too, please?  Those wins make me feel that all is right in the world and that karma is still flowing our way since that day I spent in Memorial Stadium back in '82.