The CardBoard
WBB: 2019-2023 Recruiting UConn/SCarolina/Stanford/Oregon - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: WBB: 2019-2023 Recruiting UConn/SCarolina/Stanford/Oregon (/showthread.php?tid=22649)

WBB: 2019-2023 Recruiting UConn/SCarolina/Stanford/Oregon - joemontes - 11-24-2021

Potential Rosters for 2022-2023 and 2023-24 Seasons based on Recruiting Classes:

UConn:
2019  -  Aubrey GRIFFIN            6'1     SF      #21

2020  -  Paige BUECKERS           5'11    PG     #1
2020  -  Aaliyah EDWARDS         6'3     SF      #23
2020  -  Mir McLEAN                  5'11    SF     #25
2020  -  Nika MUHL                    5'10    PG      (Croatia)
2020  -  Piath GABRIEL              6'5      C        

2021  -  Azzi FUDD                      5'11    SG     #1
2021  -  Caroline DUCHARME    6'2      SG     #5 
2021  -  Amari DEBERRY             6'5      C       #15

2022  -  Ayanna PATTERSON      6'2      SF     #4
2022  -  Isuni BRADY                  6'3      PF      #5

2023  -  Kamorea ARNOLD        5'6      PG     #8

South Carolina:
2019  -  Aaliyah BOSTON           6'5      C      #3
2019  -  Zia COOKE                     5'9      PG    #4
2019  -  Leiticia AMIHERE          6'4      PF     #10
2019  -  Beanna BEAL                6'0      SF     #11

2020  -  Kamilla CARDOSO         6'7      C      #6
2020  -  Eniya RUSSELL               6'1      SG    #43

2021  -  Raven JOHNSON           5'8     PG     #2
2021  -  Saniya RIVERS               6'0     SG     #3
2021  -  Sania FEAGIN                6'3     PF      #4
2021  -  Aubryanna HALL           5'11   SF      #14

2022  -  Ashlyn WATKINS           6'3     PF      #12
2022  -  Talaysia COOPER           6'0     PG     #18

most likely (from Columbia, SC):
2023  -  Milaysia FULWILEY        5'6     PG     #7 

Stanford:
2019  -  Haley JONES                 6'1      SF      #1
2019  -  Ashten PRECHTEL        6'5       C       #15
2019  -  Fran BELIBI                  6'1       PF     #19     
2019  -  Hannah JUMP              6'0       SG     #50

2020  -  Cameron BRINK           6'4       PF     #3
2020  -  Jana VAN GYTENBEEK  5'7       PG    #39
2020  -  Agnes EMMA-NNOPU  5'11     SG     (Australia)

2021  -  Brooke DEMETRE         6'3       SF     #11
2021  -  Okikiola IRIAFEN          6'3       PF     #19
2021  -  Jzaniah HARIEL            5'11     PG     #78
2021  -  Elena BOSGANA           6'2       SG     (Greece)

2022  -  Lauren BETTS              6'7       C       #1
2022  -  Indya NAVAR               5'10     SG     #20
2022  -  Talana LEPOLO            5'7       PG     #71

2023  -  Courtney OGDEN        6'1       SG     #12
2023  -  Sunaya AGARA            6'0       SG     #38

Oregon:
2018  -  Sedona PRINCE           6'7       PF       #8
2018  -  Nyara SABALLY            6'5       C        (Germany)
2019  -  Endiya ROGERS           5'7       PG      #36
2019  -  Chanaya PINTO           6'1       SF       (Mozambique)

2020  -  Sydney PARRISH         6'0       SG       #8
2020  -  Tehina PAOPAO           5'9       PG      #11
2020  -  Kylie WATSON             6'4       PF       #17
2020  -  Maddie SCHERR          5'11     SG      #19

2021  -  Taylor BIGBY               6'1       SG      #29
2021  -  Phillipina KYEI             6'8       C        (Canada)

2022  -  Chance GRAY              5'9       PG      #7
2022  -  Grace VANSLOOTEN   6'3       PF      #13
2022  -  Jenna ISAI                   5'11     SG      #36
2022  -  Kennedy BASHAM      6'7       C        #59

2023  -  Amari WHITING         5'10      PG      #32

RE: WBB: 2019-2023 Recruiting UConn/SCarolina/Stanford/Oregon - TheFarm07 - 11-24-2021

One of the notable things about this compilation and as discussed extensively in other threads from our team's perspective, is that each of these teams except for us has at least one Top-15 PG already on their roster (Bueckers for UConn, Cooke and Johnson for S.C. and Paopao for the Ducks) with more coming in for each school.

This is our team's relative weakness right now after the graduation of Kiana Williams and our struggles in the opening games of this new season. Watkins and Shade are two of Top-10 candidates we are hoping will commit to us in the Class of '23, but even though they are listed as guards, I am not sure if they are PGs.

RE: WBB: 2019-2023 Recruiting UConn/SCarolina/Stanford/Oregon - joemontes - 11-24-2021

(11-24-2021, 03:04 PM)TheFarm07 Wrote:  One of the notable things about this compilation and as discussed extensively in other threads from our team's perspective, is that each of these teams except for us has at least one Top-15 PG already on their roster (Bueckers for UConn, Cooke and Johnson for S.C. and Paopao for the Ducks) with more coming in for each school.

This is our team's relative weakness right now after the graduation of Kiana Williams and our struggles in the opening games of this new season. Watkins and Shade are two of Top-10 candidates we are hoping will commit to us in the Class of '23, but even though they are listed as guards, I am not sure if they are PGs.

I totally agree.  Plus the current observation that Tara has seemingly abandoned using Jana VAN GYTENBEEK at PG doesn't bode well for Class of 2022 PG recruit Talana LEPOLO who I think is in the same mold as Jana - crafty playmaker but more on the short and slow side.  Tara will most likely continue to rely on natural SGs who have the speed and handle of a PG - right now, she is kind of insisting on using Lacie HULL as the team's transplanted PG but, unfortunately, I don't think this will work as far as the team trying to return to the Final Four.  Next season, she will probably try to use incoming Top 20 overall 5'10 combo guard freshman Indya NIVAR who, at least, has been playing both SG and PG in HS.

RE: WBB: 2019-2023 Recruiting UConn/SCarolina/Stanford/Oregon - TheFarm07 - 11-24-2021

(11-24-2021, 03:21 PM)joemontes Wrote:  
(11-24-2021, 03:04 PM)TheFarm07 Wrote:  One of the notable things about this compilation and as discussed extensively in other threads from our team's perspective, is that each of these teams except for us has at least one Top-15 PG already on their roster (Bueckers for UConn, Cooke and Johnson for S.C. and Paopao for the Ducks) with more coming in for each school.

I totally agree.  Plus the current observation that Tara has seemingly abandoned using Jana VAN GYTENBEEK at PG doesn't bode well for Class of 2022 PG recruit Talana LEPOLO who I think is in the same mold as Jana - crafty playmaker but more on the short and slow side.  Tara will most likely continue to rely on natural SGs who have the speed and handle of a PG - right now, she is kind of insisting on using Lacie HULL as the team's transplanted PG but, unfortunately, I don't think this will work as far as the team trying to return to the Final Four.  Next season, she will probably try to use incoming Top 20 overall combo guard Indya NIVAR who, at least, has been playing both SG and PG in HS.

I am glad to hear Nivar has some experience at the 1; obviously the jump from high school to a top tier D1 school is large, but hopefully she can get ahead of the curve next year, because unless Lepolo or Harriel really outdo their recruiting rankings or Van Gytenbeek somehow gets an opportunity for some meaningful minutes at PG this season, we still will have big question marks into next year at the position.

RE: WBB: 2019-2023 Recruiting UConn/SCarolina/Stanford/Oregon - teejers1 - 11-24-2021

I totally agree.  Plus the current observation that Tara has seemingly abandoned using Jana VAN GYTENBEEK at PG doesn't bode well for Class of 2022 PG recruit Talana LEPOLO who I think is in the same mold as Jana - crafty playmaker but more on the short and slow side.  Tara will most likely continue to rely on natural SGs who have the speed and handle of a PG - right now, she is kind of insisting on using Lacie HULL as the team's transplanted PG but, unfortunately, I don't think this will work as far as the team trying to return to the Final Four.  Next season, she will probably try to use incoming Top 20 overall 5'10 combo guard freshman Indya NIVAR who, at least, has been playing both SG and PG in HS.

Hmm.  I don't consider JVG slow.  I actually think she could be a Chris Hernandez analog on the women's side.  Chris didn't have elite speed, but he was sufficiently fast, had great ball balance with his handle, and was strong (hard to knock off stride).  In the flashes I've seen of JVG, I can see the same attributes.  And I think she has a pretty sweet outside stroke, too.

Just wish JVG had been given had some quality minutes to show what she can do.  She still may get that opportunity this season, but if so, then it likely means the Lacie Experiment has not succeeded.

RE: WBB: 2019-2023 Recruiting UConn/SCarolina/Stanford/Oregon - TheWildJacko - 11-24-2021

Lacie played point in HS as well.

RE: WBB: 2019-2023 Recruiting UConn/SCarolina/Stanford/Oregon - 2006alum - 11-24-2021

I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, last season Lacie shot .449 FG% and .381 3PT%, both of which were as good or better than Kiana Williams' shooting percentages. JVG was .392 FG% and .361 3P%, so Tara was not crazy to prioritize Lacie at the point this season. So the question is: are Lacie's poor shooting percentages so far this season a three-game aberration? It might be the the law of averages - Williams shot 8-28 and 5-16 3PT in last season's first three (considerably easier) opponents vs. Lacie's 3-13 and 0-6 over the first four. 

On the other hand, playing point may be tiring her out for her shooting. And regardless of her shooting percentage, Lacie has never been a driver of our offense: Lacie did not attempt more than 7 shots in a game last season, so running her at point means she's unlikely to be a driver of our offense. In and of itself that could be ok, but then other players need to step up to generate offense this season, or else we lose Kiana's scoring without compensating elsewhere.

I guess I'm not seeing the argument for having JVG at the point unless she's grown a lot since last season, since from what I saw, she was no stronger on offense than Lacie, and she was considerably weaker on the defensive end. But I do agree she should be getting some reps when we've got a 12+ point lead.