The CardBoard
Harbaugh has his shot Saturday - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Harbaugh has his shot Saturday (/showthread.php?tid=22652)

Pages: 1 2

Harbaugh has his shot Saturday - lex24 - 11-25-2021

Win and there is a good shot they make the NCS. Lose and it’s yet another failure against a top team.

RE: Harbaugh has his shot Saturday - teejers1 - 11-25-2021

(11-25-2021, 01:54 PM)lex24 Wrote:  Win and there is a good shot they make the NCS. Lose and it’s yet another failure against a top team.

Lex, your fixation on Harbaugh and crusade to denigrate his coaching is remarkable.
Do you think Michigan has much of a chance?  tOSU is on fire right now, and they have been spectacular for the entirety of Harbaugh's tenure at Michigan.  And they are 7.5 point favorites . . . at Michigan.  I think it far more likely that tOSU wins by 10+ points than Michigan pulls the upset.

Still, Michigan under Harbaugh gets 10 wins, in a much tougher conference, and a NY Day bowl (again).  
We're so far from that now it's not even funny.

RE: Harbaugh has his shot Saturday - 82lsju - 11-25-2021

(11-25-2021, 02:55 PM)teejers1 Wrote:  
(11-25-2021, 01:54 PM)lex24 Wrote:  Win and there is a good shot they make the NCS. Lose and it’s yet another failure against a top team.

Lex, your fixation on Harbaugh and crusade to denigrate his coaching is remarkable.
Do you think Michigan has much of a chance?  tOSU is on fire right now, and they have been spectacular for the entirety of Harbaugh's tenure at Michigan.  And they are 7.5 point favorites . . . at Michigan.  I think it far more likely that tOSU wins by 10+ points than Michigan pulls the upset.

Still, Michigan under Harbaugh gets 10 wins, in a much tougher conference, and a NY Day bowl (again).  

We beat a top five team this year, we'll see if UM can.....

RE: Harbaugh has his shot Saturday - 76lsjumb - 11-25-2021

C'mon, now you're just trolling [to paraphrase another recent post...] :-)

Substitute "teejers" for "Lex" and "Shaw" for "Harbaugh" and see how that statement sounds.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours ... and see you at the next hoops game!

RE: Harbaugh has his shot Saturday - Farm93 - 11-25-2021

Harbaugh will probably fail yet again to take what was once one of the premier college football programs in the USA to a conference title.
Harbaugh's record, at Michigan, against top 10 teams is AWFUL.
He actually is winning at a rate below the historic winning percentage of the program.

That noted to compare success at Michigan by any coach to success at Stanford for any coach is not particularly meaningful.

One program struggles to find 50,000 to fill the seats even when the team sports a top 5 ranking.
The other program can put 100,000 people in the stands during a driving snow storm or when the opponent is a weak FCS team.
One team has 15 conference titles in its history (3 with the current coach) the other has 42 conference titles (0 with its current coach).
One team claims 2 national titles, the other claims 11 national titles.

That noted I am not sure what the fixation Harbaugh is all about here.   He actually left Stanford.  While he was here consistently complained about the very things that will keep other coaches away or drive them to find a better gig after their first 8+ win season.

RE: Harbaugh has his shot Saturday - Goose - 11-25-2021

I fear JH will lose again this year, but I do hope not. From what I can tell, Ohio State has better team speed on offense, and eventually that usually tells. Somebody will break off a big play, force Michigan to play catch-up, and it won't go well for JH. This year, the good news is that the Ohio State defense MIGHT not be good enough to stop Michigan. If JH can keep the Michigan offense on the field and the Ohio State offense off it (Stanford football anyone) he has a shot. His offense will have to play almost perfectly, but it can happen. Probably won't though.

RE: Harbaugh has his shot Saturday - gailtate - 11-25-2021

(11-25-2021, 03:06 PM)82lsju Wrote:  

Even if Buckeyes poleaxe Michigan this week, you think Michigan fans would swap JH for DS ? As of today, how do you think Stanford fans would vote?

pasportsfan - PAsportsfan - 11-25-2021

I see Lex is still hurt with his exchange with Harballs.

Lex can you update us again…I think you said it went like this.

Lex goes up to Harballs after a big win and says (after thinking what to say for hours, days, weeks) “Co Co Coach, this is the best team in 30 years”

Harballs replies in seconds “What, not the best team ever?”

RE: Harbaugh has his shot Saturday - BostonCard - 11-25-2021

I’m not sure why Harbaugh has become a proxy for the battle about Shaw.  Harbaugh revived Stanford football when it was way down (5 consecutive losing seasons culminating in a 1-11 season), so I will be forever grateful that he came when he did.

Harbaugh has been a very good coach for Michigan, but has had trouble with to Big Ten teams (especially Michigan State and Ohio State). But I don’t think that’s an indictment of him as a coach; the two (especially tOSU) have been really good!

Ohio State is on a roll, but I think Harbaugh has a shot.  7.5 point underdogs win about 25 to 30% of the time.

BC

RE: Harbaugh has his shot Saturday - 82lsju - 11-25-2021

(11-25-2021, 05:01 PM)gailtate Wrote:  

Even if Buckeyes poleaxe Michigan this week, you think Michigan fans would swap JH for DS ? As of today, how do you think Stanford fans would vote?

I grew up in Ohio, you lose often enough against the team from the North and you are not seen as successful, I'd expect that the team from the North might feel the same way about losing to tOSU....

and no, they would not swap Harbaugh for Shaw, but they might still think they can find someone who can beat tOSU.....

RE: Harbaugh has his shot Saturday - teejers1 - 11-25-2021

(11-25-2021, 09:05 PM)82lsju Wrote:  

I grew up in Ohio, you lose often enough against the team from the North and you are not seen as successful, I'd expect that the team from the North might feel the same way about losing to tOSU....

and no, they would not swap Harbaugh for Shaw, but they might still think they can find someone who can beat tOSU.....

tOSU has just flat had better teams in the Harbaugh Era.  They are an uber elite team, much to MichiganFan's (and Harbaugh's) detriment.

Michigan is far better than Michigan State.  Sparty has just won a couple games recently (including this season) that were just brutal . . . but not reflective of the relative strength of the programs.

And BC, the reason the Harbs-Shaw discussions come up is because for years (and even now), the Shaw Proponents will say "Stanford has won X conference titles after Harbaugh left; Harbaugh has won 0 conference titles at Michigan . . . as if that's indicative of anything.  If Stanford's teams under Shaw had to play tOSU every one of those years, I'd bet good money that Shaw would have 0 conference titles, too.  It's really a non-sequitur.  The whole discussion is a non-sequitur, imo.

We've got our own problems that need to be addressed, and Harbs ain't any part of the solution.

RE: Harbaugh has his shot Saturday - lex24 - 11-26-2021

(11-25-2021, 10:05 PM)teejers1 Wrote:  
(11-25-2021, 09:05 PM)82lsju Wrote:  
(11-25-2021, 02:55 PM)teejers1 Wrote:  Lex, your fixation on Harbaugh and crusade to denigrate his coaching is remarkable.

tOSU has just flat had better teams in the Harbaugh Era.  They are an uber elite team, much to MichiganFan's (and Harbaugh's) detriment.

Michigan is far better than Michigan State.  Sparty has just won a couple games recently (including this season) that were just brutal . . . but not reflective of the relative strength of the programs.

And BC, the reason the Harbs-Shaw discussions come up is because for years (and even now), the Shaw Proponents will say "Stanford has won X conference titles after Harbaugh left; Harbaugh has won 0 conference titles at Michigan . . . as if that's indicative of anything.  If Stanford's teams under Shaw had to play tOSU every one of those years, I'd bet good money that Shaw would have 0 conference titles, too.  It's really a non-sequitur.  The whole discussion is a non-sequitur, imo.

We've got our own problems that need to be addressed, and Harbs ain't any part of the solution.

I actually think JH is a very good coach.  Always will appreciate what he did here.

(11-25-2021, 05:22 PM)PAsportsfan Wrote:  I see Lex is still hurt with his exchange with Harballs.

Lex can you update us again…I think you said it went like this.

Lex goes up to Harballs after a big win and says (after thinking what to say for hours, days, weeks) “Co Co Coach, this is the best team in 30 years”

Harballs replies in seconds “What, not the best team ever?”

Nice memory. Except it was 40 years. Don’t think I stuttered though. Good touch, nonetheless. Classy!

RE: Harbaugh has his shot Saturday - Phogge - 11-26-2021

Harbaugh parted the Stanford Red Sea. Brought Stanford out of the Wilderness.

Moses.

Go Blue.

RE: Harbaugh has his shot Saturday - OutsiderFan - 11-26-2021

Michigan has a better defense than Michigan State and Penn State. Michigan also has a better offense than MSU or PSU.

The problem is Ohio State has a much better offense than any of those three, and their defense has improved significantly sine the Oregon game.

You guys should be aware that Ohio State demoted its Defensive Coordinator after the Oregon game and went from playing predominantly man-to-man coverage to more of a zone scheme. The resulting improvement in Ohio State's defense has been undeniable. At the time, the demoted assistant made clear that people have to be held accountable for not performing, especially coaches, and resolved to play his new role to the best of his ability. Love it.

Michigan's only real chance to beat Ohio State is to channel its inner San Francisco Forty-Niners of the last two weeks, and play a physical ball control game. They haven't played that way in enough games this season to make me think they can, but that's when they need to do because they will not beat Ohio State's outrageous passing attack if they try to match it.

RE: Harbaugh has his shot Saturday - gailtate - 11-26-2021

(Yesterday, 08:49 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Michigan has a better defense than Michigan State and Penn State. Michigan also has a better offense than MSU or PSU.

The problem is Ohio State has a much better offense than any of those three, and their defense has improved significantly sine the Oregon game.

You guys should be aware that Ohio State demoted its Defensive Coordinator after the Oregon game and went from playing predominantly man-to-man coverage to more of a zone scheme. The resulting improvement in Ohio State's defense has been undeniable. At the time, the demoted assistant made clear that people have to be held accountable for not performing, especially coaches, and resolved to play his new role to the best of his ability. Love it.

Michigan's only real chance to beat Ohio State is to channel its inner San Francisco Forty-Niners of the last two weeks, and play a physical ball control game. They haven't played that way in enough games this season to make me think they can, but that's when they need to do because they will not beat Ohio State's outrageous passing attack if they try to match it.

Careful strategy fails instantly when the inferior team turns the ball over, which is far more likely to happen than not. You can't count on the superior guys to beat themselves, which is the best chance U.M. has. It's schoolboy game  of course ("anything can happen") but, as we've seen throughout Stanford's woeful season, superior talent tends to prevail. Not always, but often enough to prove the rule.

RE: Harbaugh has his shot Saturday - 82lsju - 11-26-2021

(11-25-2021, 10:05 PM)teejers1 Wrote:  tOSU has just flat had better teams in the Harbaugh Era.  They are an uber elite team, much to MichiganFan's (and Harbaugh's) detriment.

not just the Harbaugh era (although he was supposed to fix that) tOSU has won 15 of the last 16 games vs UM...

it would be soul crushing to lose 15 of 16 Big Games....

RE: Harbaugh has his shot Saturday - Phogge - 11-26-2021

Could happen. Bears on an upward trajectory, Stanford heading for the Bottom Ten.

RE: Harbaugh has his shot Saturday - Goose - 11-26-2021

(11-25-2021, 10:05 PM)teejers1 Wrote:  The whole discussion is a non-sequitur, imo.
Absolutely true, if for no other reason than JH is an alum of Michigan and Shaw is an alum of Stanford. Different guys with different experience bases and different fan/student athlete appeal. Not transferable to the other school.

Quote:We've got our own problems that need to be addressed, and Harbs ain't any part of the solution.
Yep.

lex24 - lex24 - 11-26-2021

(Yesterday, 08:49 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Michigan has a better defense than Michigan State and Penn State. Michigan also has a better offense than MSU or PSU.

Kind of similar to Oregon- Stanford in the good years.  Michigan is averaging 218 a game on 43 carries. If they can run it 45 times or so, they got a shot. Playing keep away is their best bet.  Even though I’m no JH fan, I’d like  to see them beat OSU.  So sick of them.

RE: lex24 - Goose - 11-26-2021

(Yesterday, 10:09 AM)lex24 Wrote:  Kind of similar to Oregon- Stanford in the good years.  Playing keep away is probably their best bet.  Even though I’m no JH fan, I’d like  to see them beat OSU.  So sick of them.
Yep. As I said above, Michigan needs to play "Stanford Football". It is also absolutely correct that they can do this only if they don't turn the ball over. Michigan (like Stanford against Oregon in the "old days") needs to play an almost perfect game in order to win. Not impossible, but not easy. It is somewhat possible that tOSU will implode if they are behind and lose their discipline, but you can't count on that.