The CardBoard
Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Classic hits (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU (/showthread.php?tid=2533)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - jacketree - 12-06-2011

(12-06-2011, 04:13 PM)GulfCoastPoke link Wrote:If there is a substantive difference between from Palo Alto, San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego I don't know what it is.  :)

Palo Alto's airport is much smaller.

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - garvin - 12-06-2011

Amazing this thread has run clear onto the third page without a single mention of Okie From Muskogee. Oops...

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - Spiny_Norman - 12-06-2011

Or Choctaw Bingo.  Probably the best song about some parts of current-day Oklahoma.

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - estephan500 - 12-06-2011

(12-05-2011, 02:53 PM)GulfCoastPoke link Wrote:Just wait till the game...he packs a double barrel shotgun and fires it to get our crowds attention.

How about, to commemorate this year's BCS game against OSU, we equip the Tree with a shotgun from now on.

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - gasman - 12-07-2011

I remember crossing the country as a kid and seeing those old license plates "Oklahoma is OK."  To this day those things remind me how dumb government is.

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - Kathy - 12-07-2011

Quote:I remember crossing the country as a kid and seeing those old license plates "Oklahoma is OK."  To this day those things remind me how dumb government is.

You're not a Rodgers & Hammerstein fan?

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - GulfCoastPoke - 12-07-2011

terry - There are a dozen more off the top of my head, most in sports, such as Doug Gottlieb, Robin Ventura, Pete Incavilia, R.W. McQuarters, Rickie Fowler, Scott Verplank, Bo Van Pelt.  Another is Gordon Eubanks, CEO of Symantec.

garvin - I actually immediately thought about Okie From Muskogee, but I did  not want to say anything.  Two lines come to my mind...."hey leather boots are still in style for manly footwear, beads and roman sandals won't be seen".  "We don't make no party out of lovin', We like holdin' hands and pitchin' woo, we don't let our hair grow long and shaggy, like the hippies out in San Francisco do".

Spiny - God bless you for knowing a James McMurtry song, officially color me surprised, you are now my favorite poster on this board.

estephan - I could go with that.

gasman -  I used to get made fun of my freshman year (went to Colorado State for 2 years) about those license plates. 

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - PokesPeak - 12-07-2011

made my first visit to northern california a couple weeks ago (santa rosa).  loved it!  went to napa and all that kinda stuff, also went to bodega bay, i guess that is where the hitchcock movie 'the birds' was filmed?

but sorry to say, since i flew out of oakland... i bought a kal (guess i have to misspell it pass the filters, haha love that!) shirt.  probably would have got stanford if i was in the SF airport.  anyway, glad to see you aren't clowns like the Oregon fans! really looking forward to this game, since after this one i'll be done with college football for the year.  EFF the SEC!!

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - Griffins78 - 12-07-2011

(12-07-2011, 09:11 AM)PokesPeak link Wrote:made my first visit to northern california a couple weeks ago (santa rosa).  loved it!  went to napa and all that kinda stuff, also went to bodega bay, i guess that is where the hitchcock movie 'the birds' was filmed?
Terrific! That's one of our favorite areas too. Glad you loved it. Yes - it was where Hitchcock's movie "The Birds" was filmed. Hope you got to Tomales Bay. btw - Joe Montana used to live on a ranch in that area.

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - CowboyIndian - 12-07-2011

(12-07-2011, 10:26 AM)Griffin78 link Wrote:Hope you got to Tomales Bay. btw - Joe Montana used to live on a ranch in that area.

As did the only-slightly-less-revered CowboyIndian.

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - Griffins78 - 12-07-2011

(12-07-2011, 12:25 PM)CowboyIndian link Wrote:[quote author=Griffin78 link=topic=5116.msg37031#msg37031 date=1323278775]
Hope you got to Tomales Bay. btw - Joe Montana used to live on a ranch in that area.
As did the only-slightly-less-revered CowboyIndian.[/quote] :)

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - Platypoke - 12-08-2011

(12-06-2011, 07:33 PM)estephan link Wrote:The very first image I get when I hear Oklahoma (where I have never set foot) is a flat, wide land -- I guess I think that it's where the "amber waves of grain" come from.

There's a serious, taciturn guy with a cowboy hat in the image.

If you ever saw the 1979 movie Hair, the film's beginning shows a guy saying goodbye to his dad, out in the heartland, at a greyhound stop in the middle of nowhere on a misty morning. That sequence and that character seem like oklahoma to me.

In fact, my dad was born in Stillwater, OK, but left when he was an infant.

I don't think Oklahoma feels like it is always at the center of actual events that epitomize red-state usa.  For instance, Oklahomans never seemed like Arizona's Sheriff Joe, or Texas's "secede from the union" chatter.  But I do sense that some of those stories about this or that school district or school administrator limiting this or that use of the concept of "Evolution" in schools, I think some of that is in OK.

I think I heard that there might be wind come rushing down the plain, but that is probably a stereotype.

I'll tell you one thing, if I could take a good long road trip in Oklahoma, I'd do it right now and chill out in a diner in a small town. Long overdue for a good American road trip.

This was extremely interesting to read.  :) 

The wind here is terrible. Especially now when it is cold.

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - teejers1 - 12-08-2011

Don't have much to add to the "impressions of Oklahoma thread," except this:

One of my frosh dormmates was from Tulsa and we made a roadtrip to his hometown (via Houston) over spring break 1981, spending the better part of a week in a pickup truck with a top on the bed.  This alone should shatter any and all stereotypes about Stanford students being bright.

Anyway, was impressed with the friendly folks in Tulsa (at Sun Bowl had mostly positive interaction with OU fans - I just wish we had Andrew Luck playing in that one). 

That Tulsa dormmate from freshman year now lives with his family in Austin (and is avowedly anti-Longhorns).  And one other thing:  our families are meeting up in Scottsdale for the Fiesta Bowl (along with a couple other guys from that roadie in 1981!!).  That's the best part of college:  meeting friends for life.

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - doublespiral - 12-08-2011

(12-06-2011, 12:40 PM)garvin link Wrote:Count me out of the OU-fan bashers.

Thanks for sticking up for us, Garvin. I grew up in OKC and was dyed-in-the-wool Crimson & Cream. Most OU fans, like most Poke fans, are good folks. There are just a lot more Sooner fans - in my junior high we had one fan of the Cowboys (gutsy kid, I suppose, but a bit off) - so one's odds of running into an asinine one are higher.

I never disliked OSU growing up, and even pulled for them in general for the greater good of the state. The rivalry tended to be more vehement from the OSU side because the series has been rather lopsided throughout its history - and OU had storied rivalries with Nebraska (no longer) and Texas - but the Pokes have been getting better and better of late.

We moved when I was 14 and I never considered OU for school, but those boys sure can play football. Though I was disappointed that the Sooners got shellacked so badly by the Pokes this year, I had been dreading a  Stanford-OU rematch in the Fiesta. It would have meant that I only really cared about one bowl game and one of my teams would be destined to lose. The Sun Bowl two years ago was agony.

Now I have the Fiesta and the Insight Bowl - and the possibility of winning both. There's always a silver lining....

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - fullmetal - 12-12-2011

Speaking of stereotypes...(From Tulsa, OK)

Woman caught making meth inside Walmart

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - stonewallpoke - 12-12-2011

(12-06-2011, 07:33 PM)estephan link Wrote:The very first image I get when I hear Oklahoma (where I have never set foot) is a flat, wide land -- I guess I think that it's where the "amber waves of grain" come from.

It is flat, I'll give you that. But the eastern half the of the state is Green Country (well, the northeast quarter of the state is anyway), and it can get pretty hilly. But hilly is really what it is; mountains don't really crop up unless you count the near 1000 foot hills in south central Oklahoma.

(12-06-2011, 07:33 PM)estephan link Wrote:There's a serious, taciturn guy with a cowboy hat in the image.

Love it.  ;)

(12-06-2011, 07:33 PM)estephan link Wrote:I don't think Oklahoma feels like it is always at the center of actual events that epitomize red-state usa.  For instance, Oklahomans never seemed like Arizona's Sheriff Joe, or Texas's "secede from the union" chatter.  But I do sense that some of those stories about this or that school district or school administrator limiting this or that use of the concept of "Evolution" in schools, I think some of that is in OK.

Nobody in Oklahoma cares for Texas much. Texas treats Oklahoma like the USA generally treats Canada. So the "secession" thing is a uniquely Texan trait. As for the red state stuff, it's pretty much one of the most conservative states not in the Deep South, but I've never heard any anti-evolution stuff crop up. I learned about evolution in high school in a north-central Oklahoman town of 5200 people, so these stereotypes don't always hold even when it seems like they must. However, it's hard to be a Democrat/liberal type in Oklahoma. Even those running as Dems in Oklahoma would pretty much be Republicans by ideology in any swing state. You get the expected pockets of liberals in the college towns, but nowhere near a majority. But I was one.

(12-06-2011, 07:33 PM)estephan link Wrote:I think I heard that there might be wind come rushing down the plain, but that is probably a stereotype.

I'll tell you one thing, if I could take a good long road trip in Oklahoma, I'd do it right now and chill out in a diner in a small town. Long overdue for a good American road trip.

The wind sweeping down the Plain is definitely not a stereotype. If the average wind gust in a given day is 20 mph there, it's probably a pretty calm day. I won't even mention the tornadoes.

I hope you make it out to Oklahoma someday. It's pretty much an ideal dose of the Midwest, Southwest, Old West and South all at once.  8)

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - pauloalto - 12-12-2011

StonewallPoke said

Quote:It is flat, I'll give you that. But the eastern half the of the state is Green Country (well, the northeast quarter of the state is anyway), and it can get pretty hilly. But hilly is really what it is; mountains don't really crop up unless you count the near 1000 foot hills in south central Oklahoma.

Hey, Stonewall, I have family living in south central Oklahoma, and those 1000 foot hills you speak of should count as mountains. The Arbuckle range, about 15 miles north of Ardmore, is, in fact, the oldest mountain range in north america. About 1.4 billion years old, according to Wikipedia.

-

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - yvonne - 12-12-2011

Is that what's been shaking over the past month or so?

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - oman - 12-13-2011

I take back everything I said about OSU folks being nice guys.

Some inappropriateness here, but some clever meanness.

http://www.orangepower.com/threads/stanford-look-a-like.135072/

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - CowboyIndian - 12-13-2011

Clever? Really? Your bar is low.