The CardBoard
Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Classic hits (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU (/showthread.php?tid=2533)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - oman - 12-13-2011

(12-13-2011, 11:29 AM)CowboyIndian link Wrote:Clever? Really? Your bar is low.

As is the tolerance/fun level on this board, as I am discovering. 

Long hair/beards = kinda funny.

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - CowboyIndian - 12-13-2011

(12-13-2011, 12:01 PM)oman link Wrote:Long hair/beards = kinda funny.

Ah...I see the problem now. You sure your name isn't "Onan"?

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - yvonne - 12-13-2011

ouch!

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - Embo - 12-13-2011

(12-12-2011, 08:12 AM)fullmetal link Wrote:Speaking of stereotypes...(From Tulsa, OK)

Woman caught making meth inside Walmart

Yessss!!!!!! I've been to this Walmart!

As I stated in a earlier post in this thread, I had been in Tulsa for a national baseball tournament with my son's team.  We were there for 11 days, and for the majority of the trip, we'd have a parent order meals from a restaurant and bring it to the Doubletree's conference room to eat.  (A group of twelve 13 year olds can make a pretty good mess, and it was harder to get reservations for 30+).  In the middle of the trip, it was my turn.  Another dad and I found a nice Italian restaurant on South Lewis Street, picked up the food, and looked for a place to get some wine for the adults.  We drove a couple blocks and saw the Walmart on Lewis.

Across the street was Oral Roberts University.  It's a strange place, if you ask me.  A tour book said the place had "world famous architecture".  World famous, if you like the original Tomorrowland at Disneyland.  And there was the (in)famous ORU hospital, a tall building with 777 beds (the number was 777 because God said so to Oral Roberts), of which their occupancy never exceeded 100 or so.  (Their med school is defunct.)

We went into the Walmart - a superstore - and I asked an employee, a young woman, where the wine was.  She told me the aisle.  In keeping with the theme on how friendly and helpful Oklahoma folks were, she actually followed us into the aisle a few minutes later to make sure we found things okay.  There was only beer, no wine or hard liquor.  She was puzzled, then said, "Oh, maybe because there's an agreement not to sell wine because of what's across the street."  I then made a little joke - "I take it there aren't a whole lot of toga parties there."  To which she replied that sometime the year before, an ORU student was found passed out.  Intoxicated.  In the parking lot of a strip club.

I rarely, rarely go into Walmarts.  But leave it to Tulsa to making my shopping experience both fun and memorable.

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - GulfCoastPoke - 12-13-2011

(12-13-2011, 01:18 PM)Embo link Wrote:[quote author=fullmetal link=topic=5116.msg37300#msg37300 date=1323702770]
Speaking of stereotypes...(From Tulsa, OK)

Across the street was Oral Roberts University.  It's a strange place, if you ask me.  A tour book said the place had "world famous architecture".  World famous, if you like the original Tomorrowland at Disneyland.  And there was the (in)famous ORU hospital, a tall building with 777 beds (the number was 777 because God said so to Oral Roberts), of which their occupancy never exceeded 100 or so.  (Their med school is defunct.)

When I went to ORU in H.S. for the first time, I always said that it was some 60s/70s architect's interpretation of what the future would look like....definitely a very strange looking campus.

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - oman - 12-13-2011

(12-13-2011, 12:31 PM)CowboyIndian link Wrote:[quote author=oman link=topic=5116.msg37372#msg37372 date=1323802905]
Long hair/beards = kinda funny.

Ah...I see the problem now. You sure your name isn't "Onan"?
[/quote]

I didn't say anything about hairy palms... 

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - PokesPeak - 12-16-2011

(12-13-2011, 11:14 AM)oman link Wrote:I take back everything I said about OSU folks being nice guys.

Some inappropriateness here, but some clever meanness.

http://www.orangepower.com/threads/stanford-look-a-like.135072/

we start one of those threads for every opponent.  all in good fun  :)

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - PokesPeak - 12-16-2011

(12-13-2011, 11:14 AM)oman link Wrote:I take back everything I said about OSU folks being nice guys.

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - fullmetal - 12-17-2011

(12-16-2011, 06:19 PM)PokesPeak link Wrote:[quote author=oman link=topic=5116.msg37366#msg37366 date=1323800092]
I take back everything I said about OSU folks being nice guys.

[/quote]

There's good fun, and then there's...inappropriate?  You've likened two black kids to burnt toast, as well as used a recently deceased member of the coaching staff as a subject.  I'm from Big 12 country, so I know all about message board "fun and games," but I guess you had to go there.  Keep it classy, I guess.

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - fullmetal - 12-17-2011

(12-16-2011, 06:19 PM)PokesPeak link Wrote:[quote author=oman link=topic=5116.msg37366#msg37366 date=1323800092]
I take back everything I said about OSU folks being nice guys.

[/quote]

There's good fun, and then there's...inappropriate?  You've likened two black kids to burnt toast, as well as used a recently deceased member of the coaching staff as a subject.  I'm from Big 12 country, so I know all about message board "fun and games," but I guess you had to go there.  Keep it classy, I guess.

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - yvonne - 12-17-2011

Um, the toast reference had nothing to do with them being black. The poster was saying our DBs are toast!

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - yvonne - 12-17-2011

Um, the toast reference had nothing to do with them being black. The poster was saying our DBs are toast!

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - fullmetal - 12-18-2011

I guess that works.  Obviously it was not an intuitive association for me.

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - fullmetal - 12-18-2011

I guess that works.  Obviously it was not an intuitive association for me.

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - JohnR34231 - 12-18-2011

I had a buddy in the Navy from Oklahoma.

He used to joke about how the most exciting thing that ever happened in his home town was when they would all gather around to watch them take the flag down at the courthouse in the evening.

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - JohnR34231 - 12-18-2011

I had a buddy in the Navy from Oklahoma.

He used to joke about how the most exciting thing that ever happened in his home town was when they would all gather around to watch them take the flag down at the courthouse in the evening.

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - oman - 12-18-2011

(12-18-2011, 05:40 AM)JPRI link Wrote:I had a buddy in the Navy from Oklahoma.

Ha, the older I get, the nicer that sounds....

This made me think about something completely unrelated.  My dad just had double bypass heart surgery at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio.  It all went fine and he is doing great.  But when I was leaving the hospital the evening of the surgery, they were taking down the flag.  This was a bit more complex than something like a courthouse -- they had a unit of soldiers to take it down, but it was really neat, the sun going down.  The way everyone stopped to stand at attention. 

While I was watching, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a young guy, t-shirt (it wasn't all that cold at thanksgiving) ball cap on backwards.  He came rolling up in a wheelchair, stopped, and stayed at attention.  If he had been walking, he would have looked like any punk kid in a t-shirt and baseball hat on backwards.  When it was over I watched him wheel away, and saw that he had some military t-shirt on, and that he had no legs.  I figure he was there at BAMC from the war. 

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - oman - 12-18-2011

(12-18-2011, 05:40 AM)JPRI link Wrote:I had a buddy in the Navy from Oklahoma.

Ha, the older I get, the nicer that sounds....

This made me think about something completely unrelated.  My dad just had double bypass heart surgery at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio.  It all went fine and he is doing great.  But when I was leaving the hospital the evening of the surgery, they were taking down the flag.  This was a bit more complex than something like a courthouse -- they had a unit of soldiers to take it down, but it was really neat, the sun going down.  The way everyone stopped to stand at attention. 

While I was watching, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a young guy, t-shirt (it wasn't all that cold at thanksgiving) ball cap on backwards.  He came rolling up in a wheelchair, stopped, and stayed at attention.  If he had been walking, he would have looked like any punk kid in a t-shirt and baseball hat on backwards.  When it was over I watched him wheel away, and saw that he had some military t-shirt on, and that he had no legs.  I figure he was there at BAMC from the war. 

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - fullmetal - 12-19-2011

The Wounded Warrior rehab program is based in San Antonio.  Had a friend involved with the civvie side of the program there (rehab through recreational programs). 

Re: Your honest opinions/jokes/stereotypes of the State of OK or OSU - fullmetal - 12-19-2011

The Wounded Warrior rehab program is based in San Antonio.  Had a friend involved with the civvie side of the program there (rehab through recreational programs).