The CardBoard
Don Bunce, just because - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Classic hits (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Don Bunce, just because (/showthread.php?tid=2789)

Pages: 1 2 3

Don Bunce, just because - garvin - 01-12-2012

I stumbled onto this obit by chance today. Nothing new; it's from nine years ago, when Don Bunce died much too young. I hadn't realized that his wife Diana -- I don't know if she was a Stanford student, but they were definitely married when he was the starting quarterback -- died even younger.

He was the quarterback for the first college game I ever watched from the stands, Stanford's home opener in 1971 during my freshman pre-reg weekend. He tore the Ducks apart (38-17, and I think one of their touchdowns was in garbage time) even though their quarterback, Dan Fouts, was far more hyped. Everybody had expected Stanford to collapse without Jim Plunkett -- does any of this sound familiar? -- but Bunce was an all-conference QB that fall and led us to a win in the Rose Bowl.

I remember that day very well, wandering the tunnels of the old Stadium, so mysterious; the crowd, bigger than anything I'd ever been in my life; the team, looking so big and imposing that it was impossible to imagine that these guys would be sitting in classrooms with me the next week. Nine years later, I still find it impossible to believe Bunce is gone.

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/apr/17/local/me-bunce17

I stumbled onto this obit by chance today. Nothing new; it's from nine years ago, when Don Bunce died much too young. I hadn't realized that his wife Diana -- I don't know if she was a Stanford student, but they were definitely married when he was the starting quarterback -- died even younger.

He was the quarterback for the first college game I ever watched from the stands, Stanford's home opener in 1971 during my freshman pre-reg weekend. He tore the Ducks apart (38-17, and I think one of their touchdowns was in garbage time) even though their quarterback, Dan Fouts, was far more hyped. Everybody had expected Stanford to collapse without Jim Plunkett -- does any of this sound familiar? -- but Bunce was an all-conference QB that fall and led us to a win in the Rose Bowl.

I remember that day very well, wandering the tunnels of the old Stadium, so mysterious; the crowd, bigger than anything I'd ever been in my life; the team, looking so big and imposing that it was impossible to imagine that these guys would be sitting in classrooms with me the next week. Nine years later, I still find it impossible to believe Bunce is gone.

Re: Don Bunce, just because - stanfan - 01-12-2012

Thank you for mentioning Don Bunce.  His name brings a flood of wonderful memories to mind.  I was privileged to have Don "Bopper" Bunce as my fraternity brother and good friend.  His wife, Diana Carter Bunce, was indeed a Stanford student.  She was stunningly beautiful woman in every sense of the word who tragically died of cancer at a very young age.  An incredible athlete with great speed, Bopper was also a terrific rugby player at Stanford.  Don had the "bad luck" to be at Stanford at the same time another of his fraternity brothers, Jim Plunkett, worked his magic as the greatest Stanford quarterback in history.  Plunk and Don waged epic Spring game battles in which they both put up amazing numbers.  Had Don been at Stanford virtually any other time, he would have been a multi-year starter with his name in the Stanford record books in many more places.  When Plunk graduated to the NFF, Don finally got his chance to start,.  Don was first team all conference and led an Elway-esque, come-from-behind, final drive to beat Michigan  in the Rose Bowl, 13-12.  He took a shot with the CFL and then went to med school where he became an orthopedic surgeon in Palo Alto.  He served as the team doctor for Stanford football.  A wonderful and unassuming man, Don is missed by all of his many friends.  The good die young....far too young.

Thank you for mentioning Don Bunce.  His name brings a flood of wonderful memories to mind.  I was privileged to have Don "Bopper" Bunce as my fraternity brother and good friend.  His wife, Diana Carter Bunce, was indeed a Stanford student.  She was stunningly beautiful woman in every sense of the word who tragically died of cancer at a very young age.  An incredible athlete with great speed, Bopper was also a terrific rugby player at Stanford.  Don had the "bad luck" to be at Stanford at the same time another of his fraternity brothers, Jim Plunkett, worked his magic as the greatest Stanford quarterback in history.  Plunk and Don waged epic Spring game battles in which they both put up amazing numbers.  Had Don been at Stanford virtually any other time, he would have been a multi-year starter with his name in the Stanford record books in many more places.  When Plunk graduated to the NFF, Don finally got his chance to start,.  Don was first team all conference and led an Elway-esque, come-from-behind, final drive to beat Michigan  in the Rose Bowl, 13-12.  He took a shot with the CFL and then went to med school where he became an orthopedic surgeon in Palo Alto.  He served as the team doctor for Stanford football.  A wonderful and unassuming man, Don is missed by all of his many friends.  The good die young....far too young.

Re: Don Bunce, just because - Card Fan in OR - 01-12-2012

Thanks for the memories, guys. Don Bunce quarterbacked the first Stanford game I ever saw, also, in 1971. However, I recall neither the opponent nor the score. So how do you do it, Garvin (and so many others)? Do you actually remember the score and stats from those games more than 40 years ago.

Now, I do remember a lot from that 1/1/72 Rose Bowl victory over Michigan. I was the guy who, as Bunce was completing pass after pass to get us into field goal range on the last drive, stood up and yelled "Bunce for President!" Remember? Hmmm. Well, it really happened--and what a sweet, sweet victory over the team that I loved to hate from the state of my birth.

On edit: The TRUE, actual score of the game was 13-10. As anyone who was there or saw it on television will attest, on a second-half Michigan kickoff (Don't remember, but it must have been to open the half.), our kickoff returner caught the ball around our five-yard line, ran laterally and backwards a bit, was hit at the 2 & 1/2, and was clearly carried into the endzone by the Michigan defense. That is not a safety. Our ball on the 2 & 1/2. Made the outcome after Rod Garcia put it between the uprights that much sweeter, though.

Thanks for the memories, guys. Don Bunce quarterbacked the first Stanford game I ever saw, also, in 1971. However, I recall neither the opponent nor the score. So how do you do it, Garvin (and so many others)? Do you actually remember the score and stats from those games more than 40 years ago.

Now, I do remember a lot from that 1/1/72 Rose Bowl victory over Michigan. I was the guy who, as Bunce was completing pass after pass to get us into field goal range on the last drive, stood up and yelled "Bunce for President!" Remember? Hmmm. Well, it really happened--and what a sweet, sweet victory over the team that I loved to hate from the state of my birth.

On edit: The TRUE, actual score of the game was 13-10. As anyone who was there or saw it on television will attest, on a second-half Michigan kickoff (Don't remember, but it must have been to open the half.), our kickoff returner caught the ball around our five-yard line, ran laterally and backwards a bit, was hit at the 2 & 1/2, and was clearly carried into the endzone by the Michigan defense. That is not a safety. Our ball on the 2 & 1/2. Made the outcome after Rod Garcia put it between the uprights that much sweeter, though.

Card Fan in Or:

Your are mistaken: the final score was not 13-10.  It was 13-12.  The safety (a horrible call by Mr. Quimby) was late in the 4th quarter.  The safety was called when a Stanford DB fielded a  field goal attempt by Michigan that Stanford partially blocked.  The DB ran the ball out of the end zone, was driven back into the end zone, and Mr. Quimby made his BAD CAll.  The score had been tied at 10-10.  The safety put the Wolverines ahead 12-10.  Stanford held Michigan to 3 and out, getting  the ball back with less than 2 minutes to go.  Don made 5 or 6 passes in a row to take Stanford down the field to just inside the Michigan 20 where Rod Garcia kicked the winning field goal with seconds left.  There endeth the story of one of the greatest Stanford victories of all time.  Don Bunce was the man and will never be forgotten..

Card Fan in Or:

Your are mistaken: the final score was not 13-10.  It was 13-12.  The safety (a horrible call by Mr. Quimby) was late in the 4th quarter.  The safety was called when a Stanford DB fielded a  field goal attempt by Michigan that Stanford partially blocked.  The DB ran the ball out of the end zone, was driven back into the end zone, and Mr. Quimby made his BAD CAll.  The score had been tied at 10-10.  The safety put the Wolverines ahead 12-10.  Stanford held Michigan to 3 and out, getting  the ball back with less than 2 minutes to go.  Don made 5 or 6 passes in a row to take Stanford down the field to just inside the Michigan 20 where Rod Garcia kicked the winning field goal with seconds left.  There endeth the story of one of the greatest Stanford victories of all time.  Don Bunce was the man and will never be forgotten..

Card Fan in Or:

Card Fan in Or:

Re: Don Bunce, just because - CompSci87 - 01-12-2012

You guys are in violent agreement on the score. Card Fan in OR is saying the safety was a bad call, so the final score should have been 13-10 instead of the actual 13-12, while stanfan is saying it was a bad call that made the final score 13-12. Same thing.

On the actual disagreement, Wikipedia agrees with stanfan that the play was on a missed field goal fielded inside the end zone, not a kickoff fielded outside the end zone.

ESPN Classic replayed a shortened version of that game a month or two ago, as well as the previous year's Rose Bowl with Plunkett getting Stanford the win. Those were fun to watch. I was in grade school in Milwaukee back when the games were originally played, with no particular consciousness of Stanford, and hadn't seen them before.

You guys are in violent agreement on the score. Card Fan in OR is saying the safety was a bad call, so the final score should have been 13-10 instead of the actual 13-12, while stanfan is saying it was a bad call that made the final score 13-12. Same thing.

On the actual disagreement, Wikipedia agrees with stanfan that the play was on a missed field goal fielded inside the end zone, not a kickoff fielded outside the end zone.

ESPN Classic replayed a shortened version of that game a month or two ago, as well as the previous year's Rose Bowl with Plunkett getting Stanford the win. Those were fun to watch. I was in grade school in Milwaukee back when the games were originally played, with no particular consciousness of Stanford, and hadn't seen them before.