The CardBoard
Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? (/showthread.php?tid=8037)

Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - martyup - 10-15-2014

Should we be rooting for N.D. to beat FSU?  Will the Irish running the table help a two loss Pac-12 Champion Stanford make the playoffs?

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - washingtonismoney - 10-15-2014

(10-15-2014, 01:47 PM)martyup link Wrote:Should we be rooting for N.D. to beat FSU?  Will the Irish running the table help a two loss Pac-12 Champion Stanford make the playoffs?

1. No.
2. I mean, theoretically, it could. But IF we get in a position to where we're considered (i.e. must win out), then I think any really good Irish record would be fine to not disqualify us. The key, if you're dreaming, is to avoid an 7-5 season from N.D.

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - martyup - 10-15-2014

Dreaming?  Hell yes!  Why else would we ever consider rooting for Notre Dame?  How about adding this to the dream -- we get to play them again in the Rose Bowl.

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - BostonCard - 10-15-2014

No, can't do it, because if the Irish run the table they will take one of the precious four playoff spots.  If Florida State wins, they have a chance to stumble down the line, especially if Winston is ruled ineligible (say, for signing autographs for money: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11697064/florida-state-seminoles-look-jameis-winston-autographs).

No matter what happens, the chances of Stanford making the playoffs are slim.  I just don't see it happening.  Conference champions from the SEC, Big12, and the Notre Dame/FSU winner will likely make the playoffs, plus one additional team from the SEC West.  I don't think a two loss Pac-12 team makes it, period. Oregon has a shot to displace someone if they run the table and their sole loss is against a good Arizona team.

At this point, we should be thinking about winning the Pac-12 and making it to the Cotton, Fiesta, or Peach Bowl (I think those are the three that are subbing for the Rose Bowl since it is this year's national semifinal game).  Ideally, we would run the table, though, theoretically we could lose one more game to a team not named Oregon (or in the Pac-12 championship game).

BC

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - Papa John - 10-15-2014

I think that mid-October is way too early to be scoreboard-watching. The only score that means a hill of beans at this point of the season is the one coming from Tempe around 11 pm PT on Saturday.

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - needle - 10-15-2014

If FSU loses to ND (by a narrow margin) and no one else, I think they get in the playoff over Stanford. It would be a beauty contest, and I think the defending national champions would come out ahead, mainly because they won the championship last year.

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - Farm93 - 10-15-2014

Stanford is not going to the playoffs.  I am not even worried about how this game impacts the small theoretical window of opportunity.

Notre Dame success seems more likely to impact Stanford recruiting, so that drives my interests here.  My preference?  FSU wins this game BIG, establishing clearly that Notre Dame can't win away from home against speedy teams.

My guess is that FSU will get beat later once Winston is removed from the squad.

FWIW - This disciplinary system is flawed.  Winston, now in two different occasions, seems certain to have done something, but because he denies everything he gets to play football.  Meanwhile, more forthcoming and/or honest students, have been suspended for similar or related deeds.  Just awful.  While I am sure Winston will find a home in the NFL, I doubt many corporations will want him to represent their brands.  I suspect that is the only justice I will witness with this one. 

It seems obvious that the FSU administrators know he is in the wrong, but are hiding behind the "He said he didn't do it" excuse.  My guess is if Winston was a 3rd string LB FSU would have kicked him off the team.

I would be curious to see if the committee elects to exclude FSU if THEY believe FSU is likely to be forfeiting many of their 2014 games at some point in the future.

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - OutsiderFan - 10-15-2014

This is sports.  There are too many things that can happen to say with any degree of confidence that a two loss Pac-12 team won't make the playoff, especially if that team is Stanford, and especially if Stanford beats U$C in the Pac-12 CG.

The Pac-12 is the only conference that plays 9 conference games and a conference championship game.  Oregon beat Michigan State OOC, and Stanford lost on a desperation 4th down completion at Notre Dame.  ASU and U$C also have a shot to take down ND, both at home.  Plus, Stanford had to play U$C when Oregon didn't.

There are so many things that can happen in all the conferences.  My hope is the playoff committee's rankings only include teams it believes could make a 4-team playoff if they win out.  That would clarify things a little bit.  The committee certainly has the time and capacity to run through all the scenarios to conclude who could make it and who can't.

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - PrinceLightfoot - 10-15-2014

NO! Never ever cheer for the Irish...unless they are playing al-Quaeda.

I believe the committee will consider how a team finishes the season along with their record, SOS, the roster at the end of the season, etc. We must win out with impressive margins of victory along with several teams ahead of us dropping games to be considered for the playoffs. We missed our best chance to bring Stanford into the playoff conversation with the loss at South Bend.

Our team has the defense, but when will the offense get over its redzone yips? I will be very happy if we finish as a top 10 team.

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - CompSci87 - 10-15-2014

Stanford's chances aside, I feel strongly that it should be a rule that at most one team per conference (specifically, the winner) can be included in the 4-team playoff. If you can't win your conference, you shouldn't be in the playoff. Unfortunately that's not a rule, but I still have hope that the committee will see it that way.

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - oman - 10-15-2014

Absolutely no way in hell. 

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - stupac2 - 10-15-2014

In a ND-ISIS matchup, I still couldn't bring myself to root for ND.

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - teejers1 - 10-15-2014

"Stanford is not going to the playoffs.  I am not even worried about how this game impacts the small theoretical window of opportunity."

This. 

I only care about Stanford beating ASU this weekend.

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - Hank 91 - 10-15-2014

(10-15-2014, 02:42 PM)PrinceLightfoot link Wrote:NO! Never ever cheer for the Irish...unless they are playing al-Quaeda.

This is almost exactly my stance. Last year I wore a bright green shirt to work, and a teacher friend of mine who didn't know any better asked if I was a Noter Dame fan. My response: "I only root for Noter Dame when they're playing the Nazis, and even then I feel a bit conflicted."

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - Hank 91 - 10-15-2014

One other thing. If Stanford runs the table, that will include road wins over Oregon, UCLA, and Arizona State, plus the Southern champion in the conference championship game. Even with two losses, we'd merit consideration for the Final Four. If things break right elsewhere -- and things have been breaking all over the place this season -- we could get in. In fact, I think the biggest question is whether or not we can win out, obviously. I think a two-loss Pac-12 champion gets in over a one-loss ACC, Big 12, or Big Ten team.

If you want a rooting interest, root for Ole Miss and/or Mississippi State to lose. If they both get to the Egg Bowl undefeated, I think they'll both get Final Four spots.

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - jacketree - 10-15-2014

Root for the Irish?  Nah, I won't even watch the game.  I'll be watching high school football and cooking meat product, not necessarily in that order.

Jim Mora (correctly, in my opinion) assesses Stanford's playoff chances:

"I just hope we can win a game."

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - fullmetal - 10-15-2014

Can we get the ground to open up and swallow them whole?  Is it Catholics vs. Convicts of the 21st century, or is it now shoulda-been convicts vs. shoulda-been convicts?

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - thunder_chik - 10-15-2014

Noooooooooooooo, I don't think so.  Would rather the Domers be exposed as the posers they are sooner, not later.  I'll be hoping FSU wins handily...

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - oman - 10-15-2014

Really meant to post this in response to the OP:

Re: Hold Your Nose and Root for the Irish? - BostonCard - 10-15-2014

Now it's cheaters versus convicts

BC