10-03-2012, 09:39 PM
(10-03-2012, 06:18 AM)garvin link Wrote:Count me among the doubters who think this season's team will break our string of Final Fours. I don't see anybody who will remotely replace Nneka's contributions. However, in full disclosure mode, I'll admit I said the same thing about last year's team re Jeanette Pohlen and Kayla Pedersen, and was gloriously wrong.Sadly, I think your doubts are justified. One can never expect too much from frosh and even there Beebe is out for the year.Â
As Tara has pointed out, most of the improvement comes between the 1st and 2nd years. The scenario to go back to the final four will therefore be that Amber, Jasmine, Taylor, and Bonnie all show astounding improvement. I do think it likely that our guard play will improve this year over last.Â
Half the fun is watching players develop.
1. Will Chiney develop a better jump shot?
2. Will Joslyn be more consistent on offense, and have her best year ever?
3. Will Toni cure her 3 pt. shooting slump?
4. Will Amber develop any regular 3 pt. shot?
5. Will Taylor learn how to score more and not just defend?
6. Will Mikaela blossom now that she is healthy and likely to play in her natural position?
7. Will Jasmine get back to form after injury?
8. Will Tess be more than a limited-time defensive player during her first year? Will she show signs of becoming the next Jayne?
9. Will Bonnie diversify her game?
If most of these 9 things do happen, then we will go back to the final four. But if most of them don't happen then we won't. What is more likely is that some will happen and some won't, and getting back will depend on the luck of the draw and how gritty and determined our players will be.
