09-19-2026, 05:25 PM
(09-19-2026, 04:31 PM)needle Wrote: Well, as dispiriting a loss as any in the "3-9" era of Stanford football, which we may all still be living in, unfortunately.
Inexplicable to me is how Blackburn only got, I think, two targets the whole game.
Very easy to see that the Stanford defense is simply physically unable to slow down a committed, talented run-first ofense. Maybe having Galvan and Kaminsky would have helped a significant amount, but that's a stretch, for sure.
Coach Pritchard failed his first test as an offensive playcaller with extra time to prepare against a good defense. It was most disturbing to see the offense actually play worse after halftime. True, the tackles for Stanford got whipped consistently, which makes everyhing very difficult. But I believe there are some things that Stanford could have done more of (roll outs, sliding pocket protection, executing screens). Honestly felt like the offensive braintrust got whipped as well, as they clearly prepared a gameplan with the expectation the line would hold up much better than it did.
I pin my faint hopes on the idea that Pritchard and Richard, first-time coordinators, after all, can really find some lessons out of this extraordinarily poor and (at least for the offense) underachieving performance. At the end of the day, Duke is in it's "prime" under Manny Diaz, an experienced coach who has been able to now create a team that fits what he wants to do as a coach. It's still only three games in for the Pritchard era, so I'm not giving up hope that he's the guy who can lead Stanford to improvement this year and beyond.
I mean is anyone surprised with his track record? the fact that he insists on calling plays is yikes.
